mugging on Melbourne Grove (3rd November)

sylvie

sylvie

thanks for posting your experience. i have always been one of the "it won't happen to me" types (because i believe i am strong, aware, carrying a completely sh*te bag anyway, etc etc) but now i realise that random chance/bad luck has a LOT to do with it. i will be more careful.

glad you are okay.

shosh

Hi everyone ... really great to have a chat about our experiences. Thanks for all the support and well wishes! I'm feeling so much stronger now - I've been walking down Melbourne Grove on Tuesday nights since then, but not walked back from my work - had a lift each time, just by chance. I think timing has so much to do with it - Mrs F - you are very right to point out not to make it any bigger than it is and to keep going. I haven't lost faith in anyone and still believe that most people are alright, honest and hardworking. Sh*t can happen anywhere, can't it?!

On the self defence theme I think it can be dangerous to assume self defence classes can help in these situations. They can make you feel more confident then you ought to be and instead of doing the sensible thing and handing over your property you may feel brave enough to physically cahllenge your assailant and therefore up the ante of the encounter. Effective martial arts actually take years to learn, not just a few lessons, and even then there are no guarantees they will work in the street as this is such a totally different environment to the Dojo or gym.

I was taught some self-defence 45 years ago by a former Marine RSM (who had seen wartime service). His advice was 'first try running away, then if all else fails...' He was quite clear that as far as personal safety is concerned discretion was always the first (and main) part of valour. He also taught me that if you were forced to fight, you needed to fight dirty, always kick a man when he was down (preferably very firmly between the legs) then ideally stamp on his head - 'you don't want them getting up again' was his advice. I cannot, of course, recommend excessive violence even in defence. But running away was always his first choice (in civilian, not military, circumstances of course).