Advice wanted: Backache in late pregnancy.

ClareC

Is there anything to alleviate it? My right side of my back aches so much if I sit in the same position for more than about 10 mins, makes driving anywhere a nightmare and the bus a no go area! I have been told the pain is ligaments and caused by the joint softening hormone but don't know how to cure it / alleviate it other than avoiding sitting!! Getting very fed up now and still have 7 weeks to go...........

Have you tried a TENS machine? TENS has worked for me in the past with lower back pain and ciatica (sp?) and lots of people swear by it during early stages of labour as well. You can get very portable ones from Boots which are very discrete and you can wear it throughout the day - probably best check with someone more qualified to make sure its ok to use one for back pain in your 3rd trimester.

Good luck x

you could go to see russell the physio based above east dulwich medical centre, he helped me a LOT during pregnancy. There are also a number of support belts available (see link) but best to discuss with someone (ie: a physio) where you pain is so they can advise which area needs support. Don't wait for doc to send you via NHS as you will have had the baby by the time they sort it out! All the best x

http://www.physioroom.com/catalog/Pregnancy/3208.html

poor you. i would also say physio and a support belt. the physio will show you how to corretly position the belt and hopefully give you exercises to do at home. i had physio throughout my pregnancy for a back injury and it helped hugely. the hormones stretch the ligaments throughout pregnancy and to prepare for birth too. hope you get some relief from it soon. xxx

hi clare have you tried the belts that I leant to you? they were in the bag with the tens machine. The white one with the velcro straps was given to me by physio when I had to go on cruthches as I had such bad pelvic and back pain. its a really good one so give it a try. x

I'm at 35 weeks and have lower back pain too. I bought a 3M maternity belt from Mothercare World in Purley Way for the princely sum of 35 quid, but is definitely worth it. It sounds a bit like the white one described above - a highly glamourous item (not) with two parts - one which goes around you and under the bump, and one what goes around and above. It literally lifts your bump up and gives you a bit of relief. It's pretty industrial looking - Brunel would have been proud to call it one of his own, and you need to get it just right. Too low and the velcro rubs against your groin - not nice, and too high and it actually pushes your bump down. The other thing to do is to make sure that your workplace gives you a desk assessment and you get some decent lumbar support at work. Beware of lying on your back on the sofa as you approach 36 weeks. Apparently that could have contributed to my first daughter being back-to-back (more painful during labour as they scrape spines with you on the way out). She turned around incidentally before birth after a a couple of weeks of sitting on a gym ball. The only other succour I can give is that literally instantly, as soon as you give birth, it's gone. Such a relief - and the being able to bend again thing is wonderful! Hope that helps.

Backache in late pregnancy is normal but a pain( sorry). The British School of Osteopathy at the Borough have a special clinic. They are cheap and good. You just ring them up and make an appt. It will pass aswell once the baby is born.