Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Fly, I will try and get something done about

> this, as it means that as well as mattresses there

> would be an issue with other items on the list

> such as doors.

> Renata

Hi Renata,

Did you manage to get anything done about this? When I booked my collection two days ago the confirmation email I received from Southwark clearly states the 180cm rule:

For Health and Safety purposes please ensure that any glass objects are wrapped and padded. Also, please ensure that items are not longer than 180cm (6 foot) have no protruding nails and are properly contained with no loose or trailing parts.

Should you wish to cancel your booking, please contact [email protected] quoting your reference number above no later than 48 hours prior to your collection date. Refunds will not be given for cancellations.

No mattress, door or sofa is going to be 180cm or under. Many fridge freezers will also be over this threshold. So why are they offering to collect these items on the drop down list on their website?

Hi Sheemy and Fly.

I now heard back from senior staff and discussed it at length with them by phone. These new guidelines were put on the system on the 1st December 2015. What is picked up by the bulky waste refuse service hasn't changed from before 1st December. The 180cm rule is meant to apply to items not on the list. The reason for the list is apparently to make it easier for people to book their bulky waste collection using the web on their phone. The list is not exhaustive eg I asked about wardrobes, and apparently they are categorised as cupboards and therefore are collected. If you are disposing of something in parts like a broken flatpacked item, dismantle it and tape/tie the pieces together for it to count as one item. Furniture in reusable condition is recycled via the British Heart Foundation Shop on the old Kent road. If its only furniture or electricals in a reusable condition call/ email the British Heart Foundation on the Old Kent Road https://www.bhf.org.uk/about-us/find-bhf-near-you/old-kent-road-furniture-electrical-store or ALD life in Peckham/Forest Hill/Penge etc for pickup http://www.aldlife.org/shop/charity-shops/.

This means that items such as mattresses, doors, cupboards/wardrobes, kitchen units, sofas fridges etc that are around the 2 metre length or height are suitable to be disposed of via the Southwark bulky waste collection. The guidance is going to be rewritten. Apparently this is the first they knew of issues with it! The size was put in as some residents were putting out items too large to fit on the vans.

Renata

• 1 month later...

Hi Renata,

I booked the bulky waste collection today and the guidance hasn't been updated in line with your clarification. It's very confusing for residents to see this 180cm stipulation while also being told the service collects sofas, doors etc. Please can you ensure the guidance gets updated?

Thanks.

throw it out on the pavement and let them f themselves, you are trying to do the right thing and even pay for disposing something, but they can't offer you such a service... then ignore any southwark rules and throw it out there let em deal with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Renata

The bulk waste team are still refusing to collect mattresses.

They collected a few smaller items from my address yesterday but left 2 mattresses.

No explanation was given and I am now having to chase the council to come back and collect.

Given there is now a charge for collection this is not good enough.

• 2 months later...

Hi just picking up on this thread because I've booked online with Southwark to have a sofa frame taken away but the email does say "please ensure that items are not longer than 180cm"... The sofa is about 20 cm more than that. Any recent experiences with this?

Cheers