Harris Academy (new boys school for East Dulwich)

I think it's called a 'negotiation'

Harris say 1000, knowing it to be too big.

Residents say 450, knowing it's too small.

Eventual school ends-up somewhere in the middle. Probably exactly where Harris knew it would end-up anyway.

I live very new the proposed school and i've checked out the scheme via the edge campaign. I spent a long time drawing up an offical objection to the plans on the basis of overcrowing and amenity issues but my email bounced three times.

Basically, I am very concerned because the deadline for objecting is now past and it was almost as though Southwark Council was refusing to accept any criticism.

Before you say I used the wrong email address I tried several including the one on the edge campaign website.

Apparently, according to a previous post - "the deadline for submitting objections to the plans has been extended to Aug 5th"

I submitted my objection to this address: [email protected]

FAO:

Gwilym Jones,

Planning Control

Chiltern

Portland Street

London

SE17 2ES

If the e-mail address doesn't work make doubly sure by sending the letter by ordinary mail.

And in response to the 'dulwich_park_fairy' many of us simply object to handing over public assets to unaccountable private businesses. If that's considered 'self interest' (i.e saving tax payers money from unscrupulous private businessmen) then so be it.

Perhaps the advocates could challenge the arguments of why people are opposed to academies as a means of running schools and why the Harris academies should be exempt from following the guidelines on planning applications and numbers per acre.

Instead people seem content to simply slate as selfish those who question whether the school needs to be an academy and with too many pupils on such a small site.

Dulwich Park Fairy -

Got a few questions for you:

1) Are you familiar with the size of the site?

2) Have you studied the plans that Harris have submitted?

3) Do you really think that the school they have proposed will work on that site?

And here are some points to consider....

1) Can the site really support that many boys and will it give them the education they deserve? The parents who have boys in the vicinity who are looking for secondary schools are saying they will send them elsewhere.

2)Look at the size of the play ground - how will 950 boys be accommodated in such a small area? There is no grass/soft surfaces on the site, so what will they do? We know the boys will have staggered breaks thus negating the outdoor sports pitch for much of th day. Dan Moynihan of HArris stated that no boys will be let off the premises during the school day, so thats going to be one cramped site.

3) The design - there are no windows on 2 sides of the school because of how they have located it, the windows are small and will not let in much light. I have not heard anyone say "Wow - what a great building!" "Thats really great - it fits in / complements the area so well","That fits in so well with the refurbished Peckham Rye". I haven't even heard anyone say its ok! It has been referenced to an out of town mall or a prison though .... zinc cladding anyone?

4) Size of school (I went to a comp of approx 1,000 - but we had our own playing fields to let loose on). The current trend is for smaller schools - a teacher friend's school is being split in 4 as its too big.

to be continued ....

continued (apologies - my browser wont let me do this in one go)

5) Harris say it is a "local school", but will the parents of every boy from Goodrich/Heber/Goose Green send their sons there ... probably not. And do the parents of all of these boys live within 100m of the proposed school? Of course not!

6) Harris make a big point about this being a sports academy ... but where will the boys actually play sport? There is no agreement with the parks dept to use Peckham Rye (which would be needed every day) so they will have to go back and forth to the girls school, given that the outdoor sports pitch will be used for the extended break times for a large portion of the day.

I suppose the big question that a lot of people are asking is, what do we actually want? A school for the sake of it that has no evidence that it will work due to its size and design which raises a lot of concern amongst people who have studued the plans, or a smaller well designed school that will work and will help reduce a least some of the burden.

Is one school really going to be the panacea that everybody wants?

It's a small site, lets put a school on it that will work and realise that its not going to solve every problem due to the lack of boys schools in the area.

TimJM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Apparently, according to a previous post - "the

> deadline for submitting objections to the plans

> has been extended to Aug 5th"

>

> I submitted my objection to this address:

> [email protected]

> FAO:

> Gwilym Jones,

> Planning Control

> Chiltern

> Portland Street

> London

> SE17 2ES

>

> If the e-mail address doesn't work make doubly

> sure by sending the letter by ordinary mail.

>

> And in response to the 'dulwich_park_fairy' many

> of us simply object to handing over public assets

> to unaccountable private businesses. If that's

> considered 'self interest' (i.e saving tax payers

> money from unscrupulous private businessmen) then

> so be it.

> Perhaps the advocates could challenge the

> arguments of why people are opposed to academies

> as a means of running schools and why the Harris

> academies should be exempt from following the

> guidelines on planning applications and numbers

> per acre.

>

> Instead people seem content to simply slate as

> selfish those who question whether the school

> needs to be an academy and with too many pupils on

> such a small site.

There seem to be two arguments entwined here:

1. Academies are a bad thing and must be stopped at all costs. A valid argument but the debate should proceed from evidence not assertion.

I contributed to this thread much earlier regarding the almost total control that the local education authority has over local schools and its conspicuous lack of success in providing what parents and pupils want and need. Academies may not be perfect but they offer an alternative and may (I believe will, based on the evidence from market based competition in telecoms / car manufacture / education / health and other previous public sector provided services) improve the overall quality of schooling by creating competition for the current monopoly provider.

2. This particular project is the wrong size, wrong place and will impact adversely on the local community. As such the project needs to be reviewed / revised.

The objections based on planning guidelines / lack of sewer capacity / impact on the area are all appropriate and part of the cut & thrust of local politics. I would support the objections based on these grounds.

However, characterising all private business as unscrupulous as a routine term of abuse and assuming all public provision of services is good is just old school niaive leftie student politics. It is not justified by the record of Academies to date nor, in general, by the record of business overall.

• 3 weeks later...
Well it looks like good news - if they aren't scared off completely. Harris have pulled the existing plans due to issues raised by objectors and the Council - they are delaying the school for a year which seems a little Harsh. Lets hope the revised plans are better. Pity they didn't consult properly in the first place.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

13 AUGUST 2007

For further information contact: David Lloyd on 020 7924 7555 or 07855 956061(M) or Zoe Scott at Southwark Council on 020 7525 7308

SPONSORS AND COUNCIL COMMITTED TO NEW BOYS' ACADEMY

FOR EAST DULWICH

A new boys' Academy is still planned for East Dulwich but changes being made to the design of the proposed building mean that the planning process will happen later than anticipated.

The sponsor, The Harris federation of South London Schools, has committed to making changes to the design of the proposed building, which will mean that the school will open later than anticipated.

A spokesperson for The Harris Federation of South London Schools said:

'We are firmly committed to a new boys' Academy in East Dulwich . Parents want a first class school with high standards in the area and we are working towards making it a reality as soon as we can.

'Designs for the new Academy building were submitted to the council in June and following feedback from local residents we've agreed to consider a number of possible improvements to the design. The redesign is about responding to community concerns. These changes will take some time to complete and as a result the planning process will now take longer than anticipated.

'We have been working closely with the council to try to open the Academy early in temporary accommodation in September 2008, which would mean including the Academy in the admissions round that begins in September 2007. However, we feel it would be unfair to students and other schools if we agreed to open in 2008 without the security of knowing when the new buildings would be ready for occupation, and therefore a decision has been made not to open the Academy in temporary buildings in 2008.

'We will continue to consult with parents and residents and keep them informed of progress so that we can work together in the best interests of education in the borough.'

Cllr Caroline Pidgeon, Southwark Council's executive member for children's services and education, said:

'We are all committed to building a high quality boys' school in East Dulwich, which is much needed and has been well supported for many years by the local community. We are working hard to make sure the school is open in 2009 on a temporary site and in a permanent building in 2010.

'While we are all disappointed that the Academy won't be opening early in temporary accommodation in September 2008, it's important to take the time to get things right.

'The Harris federation is listening and responding to community concerns so that they can build a high quality Academy and community facility that everyone can be proud of and that can help improve the standards of education for local boys.'

For further information or to provide feedback about the Academy please visit http://www.harrisboysacademy.co.uk/

Ends

congratulations everyone - I hope you are all really pleased with yourselves, meanwhile hundreds of local parents and children now face at least a year's further delay before this local school will be built. This having campaigned for years already.

Time to crack open the champers I'd say. At this rate it might open in time for my grandchildren....

Given the broad range of moans displayed on this forum, size, architectural style, the horror that children will be allowed to play sport on Peckham Rye, etc etc I have a sneaking suspicion that when the plans are eventually resubmitted the now familiar chorus of disapproval will swell once more....

I do hope I'm pleasantly surprised....

Cuthbert Dibble Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Given the broad range of moans displayed on this

> forum, size, architectural style, the horror that

> children will be allowed to play sport on Peckham

> Rye, etc etc I have a sneaking suspicion that when

> the plans are eventually resubmitted the now

> familiar chorus of disapproval will swell once

> more....

>

> I do hope I'm pleasantly surprised....

Don't forget, the streets would have been overflowing with raw sewage.

Cuthbert - shame you went for the cheap shot there!

Most of the people I know are angry that they were not consulted in the first place and that a great opportunity to open a great school which is badly needed in the area has been messed up by Harris and Southwark. This school is going to be there for a long time so lets get it right and make it one that you would want to send your kids to. Among those who you reckon will be 'popping open the champers' are parents who need to send their boys to a secondary school this year.

We would rather be celebrating have a good school opening rather than having to now muster support to make sure we get a good school with appropriate numbers in a well designed building and preferably without Harris ruling the roost in their own charmless way.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know what's happening with this...?

Are they still not having any playground? When I looked on their site they now say they are planning a courtyard or "agora" (odd - I think this means marketplace or meeting of crossroads - bit of a weird idea for a school..)

Beautifully put Cuthbert Dibble. this will see us and others (who can't afford / object to private schooling) off and out of an area we love and have invested much time and energy in ...

Nimbys on this thread - please don't kid on you'll ever stop airing your whinges about this school and anything else in range threatening to trim your equity. This is a phase of the battle, not the war. may the future pupils poop on your garden gnomes and teem uncontrollably in an unruly hooded throng across your avenues (waving burning brands made of Foxton's signs)

Sorry but I haven't got the time to read everyone's posts as this is a long thread. Hopefully i'm not about to mention something already on here.

Firstly, i've built an Academy so I know quite a bit about them and the system. I'm also involved in the tendering process for new academies and am aware of the new Harris Academies. I say Academies as there are four to be built. 2 in the Dulwich area and 2 in the Crystal Palace area. This was the case last I heard but may have changed, as these things often do. Someone mentioned the Government put in ?30mil and the sponsor ?2mil but this is way off the mark. They put in nearer ?10mil in some cases so they do make a valued investment in the scheme.

Basically the thinking is, if you create the right environment, provide the right teaching, education improves. The need for the new schools is obviously the 'right environment' part of the thinking. The facilities in the Academies are state of the art and nothing like when I left School 14 years ago. They are also built with sustainability in mind and lean towards greener construction and maintainence methods where they can afford to. Victorian buildings look fantastic, there's no doubting that and they are a huge part of the 'Britishness' of our culture. Unfortunately, that where the benefits stop. They are expensive to maintain, as they're generally all around the 100 year mark now, and they're diffucult to adapt to house new technologies. It's a shame but some of them have to go. Some of them will stay though, as converted apartments and offices and in their original use and this is fine. However, if you need a new school which Dulwich does, it needs a home and if you're going to spend all that cash it must operate at it's peak for many years without need for alteration or major overhaul. Victorian schools can't do that and never will.

I've been to three Academies recently and one of them, Chelsea, which hadn't yet been built and had an old Victorian School still on the site was being massively contested by the local residents. No one wants a two year building project outside their home and kids running around everywhere but unfortunately, someone has to have it.

If anyone wants to know more about these Academies, ring one up and ask them for a look around. I recommend Bexley Business Academy as this is one of the most unusual teaching concepts ever tried. A fantastic building which is a Foster design and fully open plan. No corridors, no classroom walls, no offices (almost!). I also recommend Haberdasher Aske's Knights Academy in Grove Park which opened in March and in terms of technology and facilities is amazing. Anyone who remembers the old Malory School before it will know how good it is. Malory was a huge example of poor funding and why the system had to change.

Or, you could post me a reply with any queries.

I used to go to this school...there IS a swimming pool, it is that big blue building outside, not the best swimming pool but then I find that generally in London they are not too great anyway.

I used to go to both sites for my lessons, and the site where the boys school is to be built is quite small, as we just had a concrete part to play tennis on and a small playgrounds, we used the main site which is the Harris Academy now for playing netball, hockey and so forth.

As for building new schools, well, kids needs to go school, and it has to be built somewhere. No complaints from me, we will all manage somehow with the kids, traffic and the rest!

I teach in an academy at a senior level and have visited a number of others in a professional capacity. I have also taught at a number of other London comps. Trust me, 'academy' is just the new word for 'sink school' - but with better facilities. Most of the people posting on this message would not send their child to an academy (especially a boy-only one) if they knew what they are really like. They are widely acknowledged as a failure, just with shinier glass panels outside and trendy corridor designs inside. Ultimately this is because they continue to draw their kids from catchment areas of social deprivation, which brings with it all the ensuing problems. Accuse me of nimbyism if you like (and it's been done all too frequently on this thread) but this school will end up being a magnet for trouble before and after the school day - and very few people from East Dulwich will send their boys there because by the time the current crop of ED's would-be middle class teenagers are old-enough, it will already be overrun with all the boys from the local estates who would otherwise attend Kingsdale and Peckham Academy. If you are not already sending your boy to one of these schools, you will not choose East Dulwich Academy when it comes round to it. Don't kid yourself that it will even be as good as Charter, which at my last count was languishing somewhere around 30% 5 A*-C grades (and yes I do have kids, and no I cannot afford private education). Academies are the last attempts by the government to stem the anti-social tide, and they do not manage to do this.