Rugby matters

Narnia

AM said England got lucky with their try. Which they did. I think England are a well disciplined team who have a territorial game plan. It works. But it's not good to watch I'm afraid. The French had all the flair but discipline and penalties can win matches, England's current forte.

So said the Spaniard!

All I am saying is if France had continued to play the exciting brand of rugby they started with and England didn't get that lucky try, the result could have been different. England were certainly not 'hard and shoulders' (sic) above Ireland when they played. England's game plan as Mick alluded to was perfect for the wet conditions that day.

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/matchcentre/7991.php?section=stats&fixid=153769

Have a look at the stats from that game. Ireland's represent what you would normally expect to see from a team who had won.

Wonder if OF will get cited for that off the ball incident?

Every team has both good luck and bad luck - the winners are those who put themselves in a position to capitalize on good luck and mitigate for bad.

France were ill disciplined and dedicated several of their team to one on one spoilers, it was a strategy that unsettled Engalnd but cost them in the last 20 minutes when they started to run out of steam. I think the bizarre substitution choices were forced upon them by a lack of fitness - they just forgot that whilst the new players may be fresh, they wen't very organized.

England kept missing tackles. They were slightly embarrassing!

I don't know why you refer to sour grapes Pibe. Where? If it were from me, my comment about you being Spanish was tongue in cheek.

As for today I wouldn't blame Ireland losing on goalkicking. Paddy Jackson doesn't even kick for Ulster. It was his first test so no big deal. Marshall looked really good in the centre. It's about time Ireland gave younger players a chance. ROG was great in his time but I suspect that kick of his in the 22 was something he might have tried on playstation if there was a rugby game. Madigan from Leinster should have been included in the 22. I suspect that was ROG's last game for Ireland.

As for stats, they indicate the crucial areas of the game. Normally the winning team will have the best stats. The championship is now between England and Wales IMO. It will come down to point difference as Wales will probably beat England in Cardiff. I suspect England will win the championship though.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So am I. I didn't even know he was interested in

> rugby.

???? is probably a lot more dispassionate than you Mick when it comes to the rugby (and football) predictions, I suspect he predicts like he gambles, with his head not his heart...

I'd cite those grapes again MM if there wasn't a kernel of truth in that, you know, one of those kernels that reach the peel.

I'll tell you a deep dark guilty secret, over the years my favourite team to watch has been France more often than not, though they're a bit shit at the moment.

Anyone But England.

Basically, fans from inferior nations!

Ah, makes sense.

MM I have the same issue as you with England. My son and most of my friends are English, so I'm trying hard to like them. Didn't help when they walloped us a few months back though...

Funny as I have no issue at all with supporting England in most other sports.

First time at Twickenham on Saturday and found the atmosphere electric. As a Scot I'll say that the experience topped the last few times I've been to Murrayfield (and that was when we were winning). The celtic nations for various historic reasons don't love england but kiwis and the French feel similar. I saw three Frenchmen in kilts which was a nice touch

On the spectrum of sporting rivalry though, it has to be the most polite major international team sport in existence. No real segregation and beers flowing inside throughout.

I think England will take it.