Dulwich Hamlets Gym or Dulwich Leisure Centre

I have recently given up my membership at a big inner city gym mostly due to cost. I understand there is a gym called Dulwich Hamlets locally as well as the lesiure centre on Goose Green.

Does anybody know if these places are any good, I know the Leisure centre as a swimming pool.

yeah if you can wait for almost a year on the wait list at Jags!!!! I put my name down and 7 months later!!! when I was fat! they called up and said "oh are you still interested in joining?"...........

The swimming pool at the old Victorian baths is not that great. Very boxy and noisey. But it is a nice old building. Depends what kind of experience you want.

I would strongly advise against Dulwich Leisure Centre. I used to be a member and kept persevering, thinking it would improve but no - broken machines and indifferent staff (often "too busy" to swipe you in yet doing next to nothing) sums up the experience. When part of the floor caved in, was roped off and wasn't fixed for weeks it was the last straw for me.

All the tellies have been nicked from the East Dulwich Leisure centre gym. NOt that you could use them anyhow. Because all the earphone connections between the TVs and the running machines were bust.

I quite like the gym. It has good kit. But there aren t enough staff, so no one around to ask stuff.

Hamlets is pretty good. It's not particularly fancy and has no airs and graces, but if all you want is a good workout then it's fine. I've never seen it busy to the point that you're queueing for equipment and people are really friendly in general. It's also really cheap!

I've been using Hamlets for about four years and can recommend it highly. Very good value for money, as the last poster said never too busy and a friendly atmosphere. No pool but plenty of equipment, lots of classes (i don't use these so i don't know how good they are, but there are a fair few and you can get free access to them if you pay for the premium membership), pleasant enough decor (no plasma screen TVs etc, but no cracking white paint / stained carpets either), also a sauna. A wide range of customers, as well, you don't need to be a full-on bodybuilder to fit in. Go down and have a look!

I think that's right, I pay ?25 for the basic membership. I think there is also a ?10 induction fee. Finally I can recommend spending ?25 on a one-off personal training session with Skip, the resident trainer, to get a good regimen in place.

Take Hamlets over DLC. I've been a member of both. Hamlets is all right, but nothing flash. At least you get what you pay for though. AND it has a sauna (though some of the local football member boneheads like to urinate in there on occasion!).

DLC really is understaffed and overpriced considering. The pool is tired, too busy and too small. It's nice to think you get all the extra's like use of the pool, classes etc, but when all you really want is a good gym where everything works, and helpful staff that's not what you get. Southwark Council needs to sharpen up its act. I bet they're going to spend the ?5m and none of it will go to improving customer service.

Peckham Rye park is the best option me thinks, or maybe hold out until ES Physical Health opens in a couple of months (though I think you'll pay more with them than you will in the City!).