6 Lordship Lane (& other shop planning applications)

Nero

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> mamafeelgood- you've lost me

>

> Marmora Man - I dont know how many times I have to

> say this, but ALL fish which is brought to market

> in London HAS BEEN FROZEN! Next you'll be telling

> me that Moxons freeze their fish in a special way

> which Sopers do not. Good grief.

Not all fish has been frozen - it may have travelled in ice but not so that it became rock hard and deep frozen. Equally nowadays much is transported in chiller units at temperatures between 0C and 5C, particularly the line caught wild salmons, bass and trout. Trust me - I have spent a lot of time with fishermen.

But I like using some Americanisms, they suit the purpose, and actually, some things which we think are Americanisms are actually old English terms, eg sidewalk and closet. Anyway I digress. Of course I won't admit to the ridiculous charge you put towards me. I enjoy going there 'cos it's close to where I live, a bonus being that the produce is of good quality, if it wasn't I would carry on buying fish from Sainsbury's, not Sopers funnily enough.

Can't wait to meet you at the party! Oh hang on - you won't be there will you? Wouldn't be seen dead mixing with a bunch of poncy middle class snobby incomers like you think the bulk of the forum undoubtedly is, in a pub that used to be a good old boozer but which now caters to the chattering classes.

Feel the love.

Asset my love you do amuse. Sadly Louisa isnt rising to the bait this evening, so put the red rag down and raise the white flag.

Oh were you not the one who claimed to have shopped at Sopers previously, also a staunch supporter of local small business too if I remember rightly. As for the generalisation that I am not prepared to mix with fellow forumites well that is simply absurd. I have been invited and was sadly forced to decline due to personal circumstances previously.

You see the thing is, I am quite happy to mix with all types of people and experience all types of pubs and restaurants. Unlike yourself I am not a gastropub whore who only buys produce from certain 'middle class' shops. Life is great when you live a little. Try it sometime.

Louisa :)

I liked the 's' post Sean.

Louisa, believe it or not, I'm not actually a yuppie, but I do like good fish - and am prepared to pay more for what I consider to be better quality and value.

I have actually been to Billingsgate several times, and have also been to Tsukiji in Tokyo several times too (which makes Bilingsgate look like a toytown fish market, by the way). Having eaten raw fish at the market alongside the workers after their shifts, I am happy to say it is not always necessary to pay more for the best - but by the time stocks get to retail level, the best quality produce is snapped up by the traders who know the difference - and can pay more for it, because they know their customers will pay more for it too. If you go into Moxons on a day when they have sushi quality tuna (and they readily tell you when it's not quite fresh enough) then they will cut off a piece for you to taste on the spot. That has never happened in FC Soper, and much as I love their very local and down-to-earth feel, their fish just isn't the same.

My mouthwash, since you asked, comes from Health Matters and is natural Aloe Vera-based - just what you would expect from an incoming up their own arse yuppie, I am sure. ;)

bald marauder i've never been to Japan but I have been twice to south Korea and have eaten at the 'Namwon Sea Village Sliced Raw Fish Restaurant' - (hope I got that right it's been a while). I tried some absolutely amazing dishes and I can honestly say that I am a big fan of good quality fish. As I previously said I grew up around Fishmongers and I am regular at various good quality fish restuarants, I do know my stuff. FC Sopers is of a high standard and I support them not only because they are less expensive but also because I have loyalty to local firms who have been around for a long time. The food is of a good quality, I am not just saying this to argue for arguments sake.

Billingsgate was at one time a magnificent market in the city, but once it moved it never quite had the same appeal. I agree that in the far east most of the fish markets are superior because of the sheer variety they have.

I've never heard of that, I still use Listerine. But then I would because i'm just a common scrubber from south east London. ;-)

Louisa

"gastropub whore" is a bit strong isn't it? Partly because there are hardly any gastropubs around here (once again for those not listening, ?4 for a hot roll containing 2 good sausages and onions is very yummy but gastro fare it ain't)

But also because you seem to have honed in on Asset for some reason - we all give you a hard time in one way or another but you haven't yet called me a gastropub whore (disappointingly I might add)

And if you have been over to Tokyo several times you are clearly doing alright for a "south-east london scrubber" - (any implied denigration in that description is by you btw) - so why the hostility? Seriously....

downsouth and I had a good old toe-to-toe in one of the other threads without once descending into name-calling - and I've never met him either so come on... lighten up.

please

pretty please

with cherries on top

back to thread, let's listen at least to the administrator. so, i'm giving it one last try ...

what is going into no 6? i have seen work going on in there? is that sugar moma, or, as i thought, sugar is going into the old barbers?

also, the corner of white stuff, is that still going to be a shoe shop?

it would be great to see the stretch with old unwins developed and opened up again, but is it true that bombay bicycle have pulled out?