Canary Wharf cycle commute

I currently cycle to the City (c. 25 minutes) and wondered if anyone has any good ideas about the best route to Canary Wharf so I could continue to keep doing this moderate level of exercise in a new job.

It seems to me that I'm limited to either over Tower Bridge and down to Docklands (which looks like adding a few miles to the trip) or possibly under the river at Greenwich, although I don't fancy those spiral stairs every day. It's particularly annoying since it's probably closer as the crow flies.

i cycle from ed to canary wharf most days.

may i suggest from ed, across the rye, through nunhead, through new cross to the greenwich.

then straight up to the wharf. 30mins and there are lifts that considering they are run buy the council seem to work almost every day 7.00am to 7.00pm.

enjoy.

Vickster

I highly recommend losing the bus and cycling. It takes me a leisurely 25 minutes from Goose Green - in snow, rain or shine, or even when there's a train strike.

I know there are more direct routes (e.g. up the Old Kent Rd) but I take cycle route 22. I can't find it online but you can order the relevant map from TfL or follow the painted signs on the road.

Broadly, make your way to the library in Peckham; I use Bellenden Rd. Then go through the square in front of the library and down the path on the route of the old canal towards Burgess Park. In nice weather, this is lovely and feels a bit like a country lane in parts (if you keep your eyes away from the tower blocks). I don't use it at night though.

Take a right at the end onto Glengall Rd, then straight over the Old Kent Rd. A nifty bit of wiggling (keep your eyes out for the signs) takes you to Willow Walk and then up to Bermondsey Street. The only bit of traffic is at London Bridge.

Good luck. I'm the one singing along to my ipod.

Mike

At the moment I'm not fit enough to do the full route from East Dulwich to Bow (where I work), not to metnion there's no showers at work. So if I go by bike I've gone for a compromise - cycle to Elverson Road DLR, train to Bow, and cycle the last bit. My plan is to gradually lengthen the ride to Greenwich as I get fitter. Of course I have a Brompton, so there's no problem getting the bike on the DLR.

Are the Greenwich foot tunnel lifts really that reliable? The couple of times I've been to look at them they've been out of action, and Brompton or not, I wouldn't fancy the haul up and down the steps.

But no, it's not dicing with death - there are lots of great back street routes, and rides through parks.

I cycle from Lordship Lane (nr William Rose butcher) to Canary Wharf and I reckon it's about 7.5 miles only.

Go down to the Rye, over one tree hill and then down past Honor Oak. Left at the bottom, pass Ladywell and turn left (Algernon Rd) then right and through to Lewisham DLR. Left at the big roundabout, pass Deptford Bridge and you're quickly into Greenwich. The lifts usually work but if not the stairs are better for you anyway.

It gets much busier in summer when all the fair weather friends come out. Buy the kit, get slick tyres (and keep them well inflated) and you'll soon enjoy it. There are no dual carriageways, few buses and not too many white vans that way!

I started after 7/7 and have never looked back!

ED-Canary Wharf http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1078837

Points to note:

Google Maps chooses to ignore a number of paths, but you will find them if you follow the map (they are there I promise!)

As Rafester says Greenwich Tunnel lifts are fairly reliable. I only temped in Canary Wharf for two months, but during that time they were closed on maybe five or so journeys - the stairs aren't that bad either! You will also have to acquire the arcane ability of scooting your bike through the tunnel, or be prepared for a five minute walk through.

The slightly terrifying bits traffic wise are, as edbrummie says, around Deptford Bridge, but I would also recommend looking out around the Endwell Road double-roundabout of doom in Brockley - stand your ground, be visible, and take care...

When you get to the foot bridge by South Quay, you will have to walk across, on the other side of the bridge there are bike stands, where I used to leave my bike and then amble off to the office. Although both Manchester Road and Westferry Road are fine cycle-wise if this is closer to your work place.

Overall, it's a really pleasant commute, about 30 minutes long and quiet most of the way..