advice on entertaining 3 kids in ED

mammab

Hi there,

My girlfriends 2 nieces and 1 nephew are coming to stay with us for Fri/Sat in Feb (agend between 3 - 9 yrs old) - and we're trying to think of some fun places and to take them locally - any resturant and activity ideas would be greatly appreciated!

so far, have just thought about that "All fired up" ceramic workshop place, and a trip to the sweet shop. Maybe a morning trip to Borough Market.....anything else??

thanks

Definitely Hornimans.

Both Dulwich and Peckham parks are great - Dulwich park has the far better playground though, esp for older children. Both parks have good cafes too.

South Bank is good if you want to go a bit further afield - lots to see and do, often free events in the RFH foyer, can nip over to see big ben or covent garden and lots of places to eat. Can even get a boat down the river a few stops.

Greenwich also a good day out for all ages and again you can get a river boat from there.

My name is Barbara and i would like to offer my cleaning services to You.I already clean for a family in east dulwich who are happy to provide a reference for me.I am hard working,honest, and reliable.I charge 9 pounds per hour.Please call me on 07521475670.I am happy to meet for an interview.

I agree with all of the above. All Fired Up is great fun and not overpriced but all the other suggestions are free ( I think), so maybe save your money for a Pizza or other treat?

Definitely would recommend Hornimans, you've the combination of an amazing museum and wonderful gardens for energetic children to run around. That place is a 'Hidden Gem', not to us locals but probably to many who don't know the area. Without doubt it's a day out by itself.

Good luck.

Borough market can be hideously crowded for a 3 year old especially...if you do go up that way I'd recommend walking upto Tate Modern - 3 year old will love running up and down the ramp, the current intillation is good too, big scary unlit metal box that you can walk into plus more structured activities for the 9 year old and look at some art...I've claimed the Matisse/Pollocks and Picassos as my own work to my 4 year old

Horniman is great - including the aquarium and gardens.

Dulwich park has a great cafe and playground and also you can hire bikes, including ones with buckets the little one can be pulled along in - www.londonrecumbents.com

Brixton Rec is close and has good softplay - ball pit and big foam blocks for the little one, and kind of a climbing labrynth of tunnels, towers, ballpits, slides and shoots etc for the bigger ones.

Borough Market - unless the 9 year old is a budding Gordon Ramsey/Nigella, I'd give it a miss. It's a cool place for adults but as far as kids can tell it's a bunch of grown-ups staring at cheese.

Locale by Goose Green is very child friendly, even in the evening, Pizza Express is usually chocca with kids at lunch times and so is the Greyhound in the Village. Finally The Herne on Forrest Hill Road is very child friendly and has a great big playground out the back which is normally stuffed with kids. Ours loves it, as evidenced by her recently having to be dragged away from it whilst shouting at the top of her voice 'I WANT TO GO TO THE PUB!'

If something not local was allowed to go on the list I'd add the basement of the Science Museum - very good with lots of things the kids can build, and sand/water they can make a mess with etc plus the rest of the museum is great too, and it's all free

Thanks so much for all these tips so far....definitely helping us to put together a bit more of a plan for them!

they've already been to stay in London with their other aunty, so clearly we need make their visit with us more fun than that one! ;)