Virgin down for hours?

Intermittent fault identified according to their website.

Fix Reference no: F004267962

Apparently will be like this until 7th March.

I've had 4 sh*te months with virgin. Never had a single issue with BT fibre and always got the speed i was paying for.

Going back to BT!

mistakingly tried to save about a tenner/month.

Friern Road

carpediem1991 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Same here on Wood Vale. Have literally just bought

> Sky Broadband and TV - any reviews of this?

Have you got fibre or standard broadband? Fibre should be fine, while standard broadband is affected by how far you are from the exchange. The Melford Road end of Wood Vale is closer to the exchange than at FHR or by Hornimans.

After years of rubbish service, last night's utter shambles with Virgin broadband, which meant I couldn't meet a deadline, has finally pushed me over the edge.

I've just given them notice that I'm off, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on who is the best alternative provider for SE22?

I know there's a much more detailed thread about Virgin on the forum, but that is operating at a level of expertise I will never reach! Word from anybody who is generally happy with their service in our area would be very welcome.

Thanks

@tomskip - BT Infinity. Not the cheapest by some way, but good fast speeds (at least where we are - Grove Tavern end of LL) and I think we've only had one significant outage in the last 3 years which was fixed in <12 hours and affected a fair proportion of the country. You get extras which I find quite useful like access to wifi hotspots too.

With BT Broadband you also get (with BT Mobile) pretty good mobile deals (EE the underlying carrier). ?12 a month gives you a 4G connection, 2GB of data, 500 minutes of talk and unlimited texts, for instance. There are higher and lower cost offers as well. The deals are SIM only, although you can also get a ?50 discount on a number (not a wide number, and not that impressive) of handsets.

Sooooooo, it should work now for all of you on Virgin. When our cleaner hoovered the living room yesterday it loosened our broadband cables and created "noise" that got amplified along the network (engineer said all the way to Lewisham?!)

Sorry guys! Check your cables are tight next time Virgin is down!

Thanks very much for those tips, although others would be welcomed.

For now, BT looks favourite. Don't work from home all the time and have a friendly neighbour who doesn't mind being hacked occasionally, but I would prefer it to just work when I want it to. This has not been the case with Virgin once too often.

Cables loosened by the vacuum cleaner says it all really!

Apparently not a joke. An engineer knocked on my door and said "are you having internet problems?!" He explained that he'd had to unplug all our cables from the local hub (not sure where this is, I live next to Barry Road.) He then replugged all cables one at a time to find which one was causing "noise" and therefore pinpointed the issue as coming from my house.

He came inside and immediately noticed that the cables were loose so managed to fix it really quickly.

He said that the more technological things become the harder it is to manage. I agreed as it seems utterly ridiculous that my faulty cables should create such havoc for the neighbourhood!

I've just been on the phone with Virgin Media.

I've been advised that there's been a fault in my part of SE22 (Landcroft Road) since 28 October 2015, which isn't due to be 'fixed' until late-April 2016.

I've been having trouble keeping a stable Wifi/Internet connection for longer than 10 minutes at a time. Apple TV, Hive and other services like Skype don't work properly - a huge inconvenience given that I work from home and use Skype for business calls quite often.

I've now resorted to tethering my laptop to my mobile for Internet connectivity.

After several calls with the Virgin technical support team, and countless remote resets of the equipment, I suspected it was a problem with my router, so I requested an appointment for an engineer to come out to replace it. Unfortunately, because of the blanket outage that's logged in the system, they won't (can't?) schedule any individual appointments until the neighbourhood fault is resolved... possibly by April!

Of course I'm thinking about changing providers, but will it really make a difference?

They've offered to reimburse my broadband charges from the time I first reported the fault to end-April.. a nice gesture, but I just don't understand what could possibly take so long. An October-April timeframe to resolve a broadband issue is ridiculous!

See my update on the other Virgin thread last Thursday. It took many month of calls to get some addition transparency on the problems that they're having in the area. They basically need to upgrade their building in Lewisham making changes to the "fabric of the facility". http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1622769,page=3

They're been promising a fix for over 18 months. Take April 2016 with a large pinch of salt!

We gave Virgin notice that we were leaving after 19 years and soon afterwards got a phone call offering us an upgrade to 100 meg (whatever that means) a new router and ?10 per month off our bill. So we'll see if that brings an improvement.