Murray v Rafa

Narnia

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

What gets up your

> goat is that Murray is Scottish, admit it!

No, it's because he has yet to demonstrate anything roughly approaching a personality or sense of humour.. all the usual things that make human beings warm to other human beings. And he's Scotch.

Rooney has a head shaped like potato and a face to match, so he's already more interesting, right of the bat. Or ball.

"To 'scotch' something means to roll it in sausage meat and breadcrumbs and deep fry it."

There you go Declan - just backing you up that the word Scotch should not be used to descrbe Murray's nationality.

I agree with you that he is not supported widely in England because he is Scottish - its nothing to do with his personality - England is a country that made heroes of Jonny Wilkinson and Nick Faldo - two great sportsman with not an ounce of personality - but becasue they were English they were idolised.

Murray is not supported in the same way because he is Scottish. But it would be the same the other way round, the Scots would not support many English sportsmen in the same way as they would support their own.

Surely that's just natural.

*Bob* Wrote:

> It's not even a straightforward matter of

> personality. It's likeability.

>

> Boris Becker didn't have much of a personality -

> and he had no problems getting cheered-on by the

> English crowd. And he was German.

I would say Boris was liked because of his tennis and the fact he won Wimbledon as a very young qualifier helped.

Declan Wrote:

> >

> Never had one, but sources tell me it was invented

> in Fortnum & Mason in 1851. A long way from

> Scotland.

Yeah I am sure I heard that too...where did I read that recently??

I think people also dislike Murray due to the 'anyone but england' comment (agree - this was not very nice and not a view shared by all Scots - or Scotch if you wrongly insist..). Lets see how he fares tomorrow against the wonderful Fed.

I'm off for lunch...lets see if ED cafes do a line in scotch eggs...(ugh - joking...eggs yuk sausagemeat yuk)