Apple's iPad

*Bob*

Thing is I've a very good i7 in the study for all actual computing needs, music, photography, skyping, gaming errr that's it.

But my lad spends all day anywhere but my study and I have to leave him if I want to check anything out, plus it's kind of overkill powering up the lumbering beast to read a few feeds and pass some time.

So something lighter and portable makes sense (though a lap/mactop/book is still ott), but the iPhone is a bit of a pain in reality, useful when you're on a bus, but plain wrong for home.

There are those nethook things I guess, but they're a bit Speak&Spell truth be told.

So ipad kind of fills a gap for me (I'd never have said this pre-home parenting6). Plus I get to play the trillion games I downloaded for my iPhone on it!!

The flash thing though is a serious issue. Has Opera managed a browser yet?

I had a play with the iPad the other day, as a friend of mine is a devoted Apple acolyte and bought one from the States.

I was surprised by how charmed I was by it. I actually really want one, even though I know for my purposes a proper drawing tablet might be a better idea. It's basically a big iPod Touch, but the graphics really benefit from the big screen, as does the functionality (photo viewing, drawing, playing games), and the speakers are good. I don't need it (I have a Macbook Pro) and I don't buy everything Apple (I don't have an iPhone f'rinstance), but it really is very lovely. Convenient and pretty and shiny. Less cumbersome than I expected. Right now I would feel like a tit using it on public transport, mind.

It isn't something everyone needs in their life, but I think those who just want one anyway won't be disappointed by it, it's very functional and clever.

We have virtually the same conundrum, Mockers.. and an iPad was considered, but in the end a speak and spell netbook was the wise choice for the 'casual computing device'.

What it came down to was having something light and cheap, robust enough to get knocked, sat-on, dribbled over and not needing to worry where it had been left to walk into a room and find it covered in a mixture of play dough and gravel.

Opera's browser was released a month or two ago and for anyone who needs to use browsing abroad I can't recommend it enough - it compresses and caches data much better and whilst I'm not sure it reduces data traffic by the claimed 90%, it does save a LOT of money on International charges

But no, it doesn't have flash either

I have given up on Flash ever appearing on Apple products

I got one from the US for my office to use, we are trying to look at alternative solutions to printing meeting packs etc which can cost a fortune in paper and printing and just get thrown away afterwards.

It has divided opinion in the office, most people have been over to have a play, swipe across the screen.

All of us have said it heavier than you would think, so if you were reading a book on it you wouldnt be bale to hold it up for that long. It does feel pretty solid though.

It comes with a little book store and a winnie the pooh book loaded up, scrolling through the book pages is brilliant you can adjust the brightness. I havent looked at the much else on it. You can load up pics etc... BUt again with the weight you couldnt hold it like a book for long.

To sum up the office opinions, half the people just can't see the point of it, the actual screen is only about A5 size, so if you want something portable, in your pocket, what does it offer that the iphone doesnt? Lots have said if the screen was larger it would be better. If you want it larger then you may as well get the apple air macbook thingy, becasuse once you have added a protective cover to the ipad, its the same size if not bigger.

Typing on the keypad is ok, but it helps to be able to sit it on an angle, rather than flat and most people made errors when it was flat on the desk, so you need to find a little stand for it if you want to type!

The other half of the office think it looks great, feels great and if you have the money, then why the hell not have a new gadget!

The thing i find most annoying is that it does not have a USB port, so if you wanted to quickly upload some pics to show people you need to have all the plugs etc.

Everyone agrees that you need a cloth to polish away the scuzzy fingerprints that build up!!

If i had money to burn... I would probably get one...