R.I.P Le Chandelier

Very similar for me too. Went twice not through choice and not impressed each time as coffee terrible each time and cakes although looked delicious were nothing special and actually tasted like something from the supermarket.

aerie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ???? which Greek place would you be referring to?

No longer exists. Had a couple of poor reviews on here and instead of responding banned all future mention of it on here, positive or negative.

As I thought had Le Chandelier ?

Alex K,

Well I embarassed to say that I do see your point, made me chuckle. However, I am genuinely perplexed as I cannot recall a really poor experience. Also was not aware of the ban...when was that?

Anyhow, I am now thinking I either have very poor taste in coffee and cakes or gave just been very lucky. Met owner only once and she was also pleasant too.

Sue Wrote:

> aerie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ???? which Greek place would you be referring

> to?

>

>

> No longer exists. Had a couple of poor reviews on

> here and instead of responding banned all future

> mention of it on here, positive or negative.

>

> As I thought had Le Chandelier ?

Worse than that Sue. They did a blatant "crushed and devalued", got caught out, generally got slagged off and then threatened legal action.

I never went in, even though I love tea and cake. I think it just seemed very out of place when it opened (but this says more about my attitudes that its enterprising values) at that end of "the strip" and the shabby chic feel just felt a bit too "Miss Haversham" for me. Perhaps I missed out and I am sorry that it is having to close though.

and I am sorry that it is having to close though.

As the lease has been on offer for some time now I suspect that it may well continue trading until (and if) an offer is made and accepted. Unless the overheads are greater than the revenues it makes sense to continue trading rather than having an asset (the lease) lie fallow. Indeed, even if there are losses, these may be discountable (for tax purposes) against any other revenues associated with the trading company. The business may be more valuable as a going concern than just a lease on an empty building. The lease being on offer does suggest that the business may close, but the timing of that closure is by no means certain or imminent.

???? Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > aerie Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > ???? which Greek place would you be referring

> > to?

> >

> >

> > No longer exists. Had a couple of poor reviews

> on

> > here and instead of responding banned all

> future

> > mention of it on here, positive or negative.

> >

> > As I thought had Le Chandelier ?

>

>

> Worse than that Sue. They did a blatant "crushed

> and devalued", got caught out, generally got

> slagged off and then threatened legal action.

Ah. I don't remember the crushed and devalued bit. Always a mistake :))

Someone always spots it :))

I think a lot of the items in the cafe dated back to when it was a cafe/ antique shop - and this was unsold stock (such as the collection of lights which gives it its name). If the owner does sell the lease it is not clear that any of these items would transfer into new ownership - except by separate treaty, and probably at a premium. If the ownership does change I wouldn't assume the business will continue on 'as is' as regards the look of the place.

Used the place fairly regularly and really liked it. Sounds like I had the opposite experience to some on here.

Excellent tea- not sure what the lady above is taking about with a small measure in a cup, they always served tea in pots.

Best Eggs Royale around here and I've tried them all. Also good cake. Everyone I've taken there has liked it and he place.

The only complaint I've got is the way the owner talked to her staff. She'd often be in on a Sunday morning and it shocked me how she used to bully the staff, especially within earshot of customers.

titch juicy Wrote:

> The only complaint I've got is the way the owner

> talked to her staff. She'd often be in on a Sunday

> morning and it shocked me how she used to bully

> the staff, especially within earshot of customers.

She had the same M.O with her neighbours and traders in the locality

No one will miss her "off the record" tho they'll smile at her face and say "Oh such a shame" whilst thinking 'thank fekk for that'

The only complaint I've got is the way the owner talked to her staff.

If you check company registrations you will find that the lady you assume is the owner (and who acts very much like an owner) is not in fact one of the registered company directors of the company owing the business.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> The only complaint I've got is the way the owner

> talked to her staff.

>

> If you check company registrations you will find

> that the lady you assume is the owner (and who

> acts very much like an owner) is not in fact one

> of the registered company directors of the company

> owing the business.

Interesting and even worse in that case.

Well then the owners should have given her the boot ages ago, as she has single handedly brought on most of the ill will towards the place.

I never stopped in, but did buy the odd cake there to take around to my mum's. They were always nice (the cakes).

Sadly this place had all the nuts and bolts to pull off some high-camp tea, coffee and cake drama. The interior was good and slightly OTT, if only the service offer matched, it would have worked wonders

I work close to the industry and this is my own view, from observation. Owners from the top down inspire or sour a business. The best restaurants and cafe's etc are like mini theatres, knowing when to be 'on show & ready to perform' it's a twice daily service driven industry mostly. A great many places I see behind the scenes are sometimes boiling up in the wings, but they know how to perform with a 'face' and in fact, it's an amazing art form when done well

If you want to see a fully immersed team on 'show' then The Colbert in Sloane Square does it very well. You can have Tea and Coffe and little else if you like. For highly orchestrated 'attention' then the Chilternfire house was an eye opener. The Merchants tavern in Shoreditch is good and very cosy for a sizeable place. And Cafe Murano in Covent Garden is a getaway place for lunch with gentle and warm service

But even the most simple and basic cafe can show how it should be done. The Oak at Honour oak serves all the classic stuff and does it really well, they want to be nice to you, they smile and you get what you want. Pretty basic and simple. I often wonder if new owners take a tour to see what's on offer and how it's done. I'm not sure they do always

Oh and, one of the most ghastly personal experiences was at that Market Place 'place' in Crystal Palace. I had to check if they had cameras and Ricky Gervais wasn't filming there, it was so bad on so many levels

Good luck if anyone takes it on, it's got lots of potential

I've always found the service warm and just attentive enough in Le Chandelier. I've been in perhaps 20 times over the last few years and never once had a problem with the service.

Other than the nasty manageress (or whatever her role is), the most alarming thing I saw in there was a young-ish couple on the table next to ours cover their Eggs Royale with ketchup. And I do mean smothered it in the stuff.

Smoked Salmon, rich hollandaise and ketchup. I ask you.