R.I.P Le Chandelier

We went to Le Petit Chou yesterday to get stuff to eat on the bus, and literally couldn't get out the door because someone thought this would be a good place to park a buggy.

I do despair of some people's common sense.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is common sense that not everyone can

> accommodate a pushchair so I think it is fair for

> cafes to (sometimes) say no, politely - in the

> same way they would to someone who was carrying

> large amounts of luggage, for example. Nobody is

> going to run off with a buggy, especially if it is

> being eyed from the inside by the owner so it's

> not too much of an ordeal to be asked to not bring

> it in.

> People shouldn't take it as a slight or an assault

> on their (or their baby's) sense of self (but I

> have seen reactions that fit that description,

> alas).

The baby was asleep in the buggy so couldn't leave it outside. Small buggy and v small baby. My wife and I had carefully put it into a nice corner, not in anyone's way. When we had then sat down at the table next to it she asked us to move - there clearly wasn't anywhere to move to, it was busy.

They wont mind losing one couple as customers but her attitude was v poor and that was what irked me. They have to live with the feedback in the internet review age.

It may not have been smelly, but the point is she's got a bit of a cheek, and completely misses the irony of

moaning about buggys being left in doorways and then saying she's buying grub to eat on a bus, which I think is an equal display of bad manners.

Throwing stones and glass houses is a phrase that springs to mind.

Otta Wrote:

> How do you know the food was smelly or that

> slobbering was going on?

It's not a question of whether or not the food was smelly or if anyone was slobbering... ?

It's just plain anti social to eat on Public Transport...

There has to be a total ban.. otherwise who can dictate what can and what cannot be eaten...

Cheese & Onion sandwich.. ? Jamaica Patties...? Fish & Chips.. ? Kebabs.? Curry..?

I find flavoured crisps can be nasty..

DulwichFox..

Mick Mac - It wasn't a go at you at all. It was just a general thought. My point was that sometimes it's OK to bring in a buggy/bulging rucksack/kitchen sink, but not always (which is not what plenty of people think). Proprietors are put in a very difficult position so I would prefer it if people just thought a bit before thinking it's always OK to do what they want. I can't say I hold out much hope.....

earlydoors Wrote:

> I bet your fellow bus passengers wished a better

> job had been done of blocking you in with that

> buggy so that they didn't have to endure you

> slurping and slobbering over your smelly food on

> the bus.

How pathetic.

It was cold baguettes and there was no smell.

earlydoors Wrote:

> It may not have been smelly, but the point is

> she's got a bit of a cheek, and completely misses

> the irony of

> moaning about buggys being left in doorways and

> then saying she's buying grub to eat on a bus,

> which I think is an equal display of bad manners.

>

> Throwing stones and glass houses is a phrase that

> springs to mind.

WTF?

Are you for real?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How do you know the food was smelly or that

> > slobbering was going on?

>

> It's not a question of whether or not the food was

> smelly or if anyone was slobbering... ?

>

> It's just plain anti social to eat on Public

> Transport...

>

> There has to be a total ban.. otherwise who can

> dictate what can and what cannot be eaten...

> Cheese & Onion sandwich.. ? Jamaica Patties...?

> Fish & Chips.. ? Kebabs.? Curry..?

>

> I find flavoured crisps can be nasty..

>

> DulwichFox..

Hot food which has a strong smell is one thing.

I cant see how eating cold food which doesn't smell is anti social in the slightest.

earlydoors Wrote:

> Get over yourself. You've had a moan about what

> you consider anti social behaviour (someone

> leaving a buggy in your way) and when you get

> pulled up about what many others consider anti

> social behaviour ( eating on a bus) you have a

> hissy fit.

A buggy blocking the only entrance to a shop is in the same ball park to you as eating a baguette on a bus? To be absolutely clear, the buggy was actually immediately in front of the doorway. Nobody could get into or out of the shop.

And you consider my posts on this are "having a hissy fit"??

I don't think it's me who needs to get over myself :))

I see you only registered on the forum a fortnight ago. Maybe you should de-register and start again in a more pleasant frame of mind :)

ETA: And I never said anything about anti social behaviour. I said it was a lack of common sense. If you are going to criticise my posts and myself in such an extremely personal manner, at least get them right!

Eating food of any kind on a bus or train is not good sense, let alone good manners. Things spill, not everyone is likely to do the right thing and dispose of food and packaging correctly and some foods and drinks do smell unpleasant.

Neutral behaviour ought to be the name of the game in public spaces like transport. (I've had to pull people up from dropping freshly-sucked peach stones on the bus floor and eating a ketchup-enhanced chiili burgers in a packed Tube train and would do it again.) Nobody needs to eat on a bus, except perhaps a very young child/baby or a diabetic every now and then.

If you are hungry, go to Le Chandelier and eat your food in the correct place (to get this thread back on track!)

Nigello Wrote:

> Eating food of any kind on a bus or train is not

> good sense, let alone good manners. Things spill,

> not everyone is likely to do the right thing and

> dispose of food and packaging correctly and some

> foods and drinks do smell unpleasant.

> Neutral behaviour ought to be the name of the game

> in public spaces like transport. (I've had to pull

> people up from dropping freshly-sucked peach

> stones on the bus floor and eating a

> ketchup-enhanced chiili burgers in a packed Tube

> train and would do it again.) Nobody needs to eat

> on a bus, except perhaps a very young child/baby

> or a diabetic every now and then.

>

> If you are hungry, go to Le Chandelier and eat

> your food in the correct place (to get this thread

> back on track!)

That wasn't really the way to get the thread back on track, was it? :)

I'm interested in how people are much more keen to have a go at me than to comment on a buggy placed so that it prevented people from either entering or leaving a shop/restaurant.

To reiterate: It was a cold baguette. There was no smell. There were no crumbs. There was no litter left. We were on our way to a walk by the river the other side of London, travelling on two buses, and had no time to sit for ages in a cafe waiting to be served in order to spend five minutes or less eating a baguette.

If eating a cold baguette on a bus is bad then I'M SORRY!!!

I agree smelly food on a bus is bad (but ours wasn't smelly)!!!

I agree people who drop litter are bad (but we never drop litter, in fact we pick it up)!!!

I agree it's not good to do things which may annoy other people (but quietly eating cold non-smelly baguettes did not appear to be annoying any of the very few other people on the bus)!!!

I agree our time management was bad and we should have got food in the day before, got up earlier and eaten it before we left (Yes! We're crap, nasty, disorganised people) !!!!!

Let s/he who is without sin cast the first stone!!!!

I agree about a buggy being left in front of a door being annoying and ignorant....but eating on a bus can be considered in the same way by many people.

You have to accept that really whether you agree or not.

I'm sure the person who left the buggy in front of the door did it absently minded and didn't intend it to ruffle your feathers so much.

Both examples of mildly anti social behaviour and we are indeed all guilty at some time or other.

fonread Wrote:

> Embarrssing.

>

> Not sure what's worse, the guff written about the

> Brick House buns or this drivel. It's just insane!

Christ, so now I'm not just anti-social, I'm embarrassing too. Or rather, embarrssing.

I'm off to the river again to throw myself in :))

earlydoors Wrote:

> Sue does the world all revolve around you?

Yes, my world does.

Who does your world revolve around?

:))

And my feathers weren't "ruffled so much" by the buggy. They were ruffled by the ridiculous assumptions and personal attacks on me made on this thread. Which if memory serves were started by you.

And now I'm off to do other things. Enjoy your day :)

When we had young children we had two (second hand) buggies - one packed flat down to nothing (we used that on public transport, and when visiting places) and one was slightly more commodious and comfortable - nowadays buggies are massive and obtrusive (and I am sure much more comfortable for their occupants). I can quite understand why some small outlets would wish to restrict these 4X4 Chelsea Tractor buggies entrance. On the other hand, if you are running an expensive cafe in ED and expect to survive whilst making the yummy mummy brigade unwelcome then your business plan is badly flawed. Setting aside a secure buggy park would seem the sensible option. Not to take it (and to make those with pre-school children feel unwelcome) is asking for failure.

And if you are travelling at lunch time into town from ED by bus it is often logistically sensible to take a snack on route so that you can use your (often 45 minutes to an hour, with all the cr*p at the Elephant) journey time effectively - but I would absolutely agree that hot and smelly snacks are unsocial.