Arrrghh my washing machine has died....sob....

Not really a Family Room topic officially I know, but only other parents will understand just how bad this is.....

My trusty 11 year old Whirlpool is finally beyond repair.

I have a British Gas service contract on it, so the repair man has declared it officially 'dead'.....next step Whirlpool will call me on Monday to arrange to see it to ensure they agree, then British Gas will give me some money towards a new machine....my question is has anyone else gone through this rigmarole?

I'm not convinced it is worth the wait for them to sort all this out, especially if they only end up offering me a tenner towards the cost of a new one!

I am lucky to have neighbours who are letting me do my washing in their machine (yes even the nappies bless them)!!!

But, any experience of the British Gas replacement scheme guys?

Oh, and any recommendations for very good (and of course AAA rated machines for when I go shopping?).

Molly

No idea about the British Gas stuff.........

However, I love my washing machine. It's a Candy Grand, AAA 9kg.! capacity (hello less washing, only two loads a week!) with a quick 32 degree wash. I'm the first to admit that complaining about the state of laundry appliances in this country is what makes Canadians boring (yes that's what we talk about when we get together..... sad!) but I do LOVE this machine.

I didn't know British Gas serviced under contract washing machines. I used to have a policy with them for my boiler but it became too expensive and I switched to a Thames Water contract. I now have a (free) contract with White Knight through my house insurance which fixes appliances 8 years or under. It also does boilers and doesn't specify an age on boilers. When you buy another machine then I would go to John Lewis. They have an automatic guarantee of 2 years on washing machines and for TVs 5 years. If I could afford a new machine then I would get a Miele but they are very expensive but oh so reliable. Everyone I know with a Miele loves it and has never had any problems. I also favour their vacuums. I have a Bosch washing machine which is now 7 years old and haven't had a problem with it yet.....

Thanks Cate,

You can get kitchen appliance cover with BG, and drains cover and stuff.

Never sure whether it is really worth it, but it does make life easy when things go wrong as no repair bills.

My friend has a Meile and says it came with a ten year parts and labour cover, so maybe the extra cost is worth it.

Molly

Never had a Miele but can vouch for a Bosch. For me washing machines are just too vital to compromise on. I breifly used the Launderette before I got my last machine and it works out very expensive.

I'm afraid I don't know about the British Gas contracts but it would frustrate me having to wait to buy a new machine when it was clear one was needed.

I also agree with buying from John Lewis. Automatic two year guarantee, free delivery and will remove your old appliance.

It would be useful to know how you get on Molly so the rest of us can evaluate the British Gas contracts.

Ooooh Molly I feel your pain!

I'm another Bosch fan, I've been really pleased with our current one and as part of our kitchen refurb we're going for another Bosch (integrated, which is the only reason why we're not sticking with the one we have). We had a really old Bosch in the first house we bought in ED, it was still going strong when we sold the house and must have been getting on for about 12 or 13 years old at that point.

I've also heard good things about Miele, and we always buy our appliances from John Lewis like others have already mentioned.

Sorry, no experience with British Gas other than the absolute drama involved when we switched supplier away from them!

P x

Can't help on the British Gas side of things but echo the recommendations for a Miele washing machine (had a repair man out once and he gave me lots of useful tips and reassurance that we'd made a good choice).

I spent ages deliberating which machine to buy and found this site extremely helpful (written by a washing machine repair man!): http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-washing-machines.html

Hope you get a solution soon!

My life with British Gas service contract has been hellish. 5 visits before they called out the manufacturers for the dishwasher (it got fixed quickly once the bosch man came out) and then nearly 4 weeks of no heating and hot water over the coldest bit of winter with missed appointments and bodge jobs over more than 6 visits. good luck.

Ah Crokes thank you for that link - sounds like the washing machine equivalent to The Nappy Lady - just what I was after!

Bawdy-nan, so sorry to hear that. So far they have been OK for me, though I no longer have the boiler cover, I just have cover for my dishwasher, washing machine and fridge freezer. They have done a few repairs along the way without any problems.

I gather the boiler cover isn't really worth it, and that the annual service they do is a waste of time (told this by a plumber I know). He put me in touch with someone who does a 'proper' annual service on my boiler now, and it is cheaper and much better in my opinion.

If I knew someone who could repair my kitchen applicances reliably and without ripping me off I'd drop the BG cover on those too, but have never yet found such a person.

Molly

My Bosch recently gave up the ghost, and so I have spent a lot of time recently researching washers. We plumped for the LG below in the end following a very good Which? recommendation. It was the next best behind all the good Miele machines, but much less expensive. it has a huge 9kg capacity and loads of useful settings including a steam cleaning function, quick wash and baby and allergy care.

So far I love it - but it has only been 2 weeks! We got it from Dixons which seemed to be the cheapest.

LG washing machine

Hi Vickster,

Thank you - I've been looking at an LG too - the LG F1406TDSP6 which is very similar to the one you have got. A friend has one - she has 4 children, the youngest in cloth nappies - and it has been doing 2 washes a day for 4 years so far without any problems - she swears by it! The steam function sounds very good.

So, I am debating between the LG and the Miele now....do you have any problems with the cotton rinse cycle not being very good, or the volume of the spin? These are the two issues Which seemed to pick up on with the LG's, but my friend hasn't found either a problem.

Need to try to find someone who does interest free credit (ha!) next.

Molly

I love the steam function, it really feels like it washes stuff amazingly well. I use non-bio washing powder still, and it cleans my 22 month year olds clothes no problem. No idea about the functionality with cloth nappies though!

The rinse seems to be good so far, as that was one of the main problems with my old one and not noticed any spin issues - clothes and towels dry really quickly.

Agree with all previous Miele posts, our machine is eleven years old (purchased after birth of first baby) and is currently catering for a family of seven. The rubber rim is the only replacement part it has required because I shoved too large a load into it. Eleven years ago it was our most expensive purchase after our home and our car. At the time family and friends ridiculed us, they don't anymore.

However I DREAD to think what it would cost to purchase one now.............

Oh the LG was my "splurge" option, but declined for the time being. The steam function is brilliant, but also it is designed to not have a drive belt or something mechanical like that, which I was told means it's much less likely to break down. My silly husband actually was convinced by the engineering details (men!) but in the end I couldn't justify it in my head.

But one day it will be mine! Red please!

My washing machine repairer said that the only brand he would buy is a Miele.

One word of caution though. A friend of mine has one and she has found that now the warranty has run out the parts are extremely expensive ie the initial cost is 2-3 times other machines and so are the parts.

Thanks Trinity,

Not such an issue if I continue with the British Gas cover as it includes parts and servicing.

Still can't decide which to go for, wish that Miele did a machine that offered a steam cycle, actually maybe they do and it is just outside my price bracket.

Decisions, decisions, I am so rubbish at this!

Part of me is hoping a 2nd hand one will come up cheap on the forum, then I can buy it as a stop gap and take another few months (years) to make up my mind!