nct classes in east dulwich

reren

oops - just posted a message accidentally in the main section of the forum rather than here - basically I was asking if anyone knew if there were any nct classes in east dulwich - i've seen there are some in herne hill but previous posts have suggested that the teacher might be a bit evangelical about natural birth...not sure i want anyone too lecture-y!

Hi Reren,

You could try the Southwark & Lambeth booking secretary - Alison Johnson on 0844 243 6921 or [email protected] (got this contact from a post by Sillywoman - who I think may have something to do with the NCT... teacher? Might be worth dropping her a private message)

I went to NCT classes run by Maria Pinter in Effra Road - at the time we were due the local classes weren't running as it was close to Christmas. Due to time constraints we did the "intensive" course which ran over a couple of days, and while it was good for information it wasn't so good for making friends like the longer courses are. Maria wasn't at all evangelical - although I think NCT as a whole has a focus on the "natural" way of doing things. That said, I was booked in for an induction due to medical reasons, and because of this she spent extra time talking us through how the induction process and any resulting medical interventions work which was very useful.

Other things you need to book...

- as ridiculous as it seems, I know of people who put their names down on nursery waiting lists while pregnant. Not relevant to me as I'm a stay at home Mum, but might be worth looking into if you're planning to return to work while the little one is still tiny, as baby places are few and far between

P x

Yes there are classes in ED but they get booked up quickly, the person you want to request for SE22 is Tess Dailey. Brilliant classes - can't recommend her enough. She is fantastically calm and unflappable, but has the experience of having 4 children herself and combined with that, and the theory behind what works best (not preachey at all!)she was a lifesaver (when I think of the silly questions we probably asked that were just common sense I cringe a little, but she never let on). Also my (initially) reluctant husband loved the classes, and we met some lovely people, who 5 years later remain great friends. Would thoroughly recommend the whole NCT experience, and if you can get it locally then it's a good start to know a few people in the same boat as yourself. Good luck!

Hi Reren

Congratulations!

I booked my NCT classes late (about 4 1/2 months!) and was told all ED were booked up round my due date do went to Herne Hill (above Prince Regent pub!) with Sarah for two full days and got lots from it - nothing overly evengalical - just useful!

Since then our group has become closer and closer with the girls meeting with our babies weekly to do a fitness session and for coffee and cake and gossip. We've also got things in the diary for the next few months. As I don't have any firends close by with babies by new friends have been a life line to sanity.

Good luck

Hi reren,

I've just put something on your other thread, and as I'm on a roll tonight I'll post here too!

Yes, I am the SE22 antenatal teacher (outed!!), there's only one of me here at the moment, but I'm about to be joined by another (Alice, who has already taught some classes & is brilliant at it), & there's Becky in Nunhead (she's just fab & funny - see Iaineasy's pre-baby thread!), Sarah in Herne Hill (also fab & has probably forgotten more about antenatal classes than I'll ever know - she was my teacher!), Maria near Brockwell park (just lovely & kind, & soooo brainy), and the delightful Xenia in West Dulwich (if you've had her you'll never forget her cheeky sense of humor & naughty giggle. She's a lot of fun) We all teach at different times & different lengths for our courses, and all balance teaching with raising our own families - so we've all been where you are now & remember only too well the heady mix of excitement and anxiety. Check out the NCT website for a comprehensive list of when & where our classes are (I'm opposite ED Hospital), or contact Alison Johnson as Pickle suggested (Thanks Pickle), or PM me & I can tell you what I've got available - but sadly I don't have details of the others.

Good luck with your booking, I'm sure you'll have fun whichever classes you choose.

Love SW

P.S. All our teaching has to be evidence based (i.e. we have to be able to back it up with up to date research wherever it's available), so never fear, the days of yoghurt-eating-lentil-weaving-give-birth-in-the-fields NCT are long gone (though I do like muller light & sometimes wear sandals in the summer). We try to be as balanced as possible and give you useful, accurate, information on which you can base decisions that are right for you & your individual set of circumstances.

Ok I'll shut up now & go & feed my starving family.

I booked onto my class when I moved down here - was about 4 1/2 months I think - and yes, couldn't get an ED class but did get onto one in Herne Hill (SillyWoman has mentioned Sarah) - which I enjoyed, and actually quite liked the walk over (though got slower and slower as I got bigger!).

• 2 years later...