conspiracy theories

Easties EL

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> post 99 was mine

*adopts the most horrified expression imaginable*

Oh ????! After the very public rebuke you subjected me to when I set myself up on the Cricket Thread too! How could you!

Notwithstanding this, I respect the admission...and, in any event, I believe this now makes us "quits" - in terms of minor misdemeanours committed?

*climbs into tank in preparation for the next round*

???? Wrote:

> I think you missed this bit,,,[are] you telling me if

> you w[e]nt to a pub in London, a bar in Tel Aviv or a

> Cafe in The West Bank and said.."Pssst.that

> assassination in Dubai..it was Mossad", you'll [not] get

> any reaction other than "no sh1t Sherlock"!

And if you asked them, 'who is the one true god?' they may all agree on YHWH/God/Allah - but that wouldn?t make it a fact.

I think the ability to distinguish theory from fact goes to the heart of this discussion.

Personally, I adopt the scientific approach: how ever well a theory explains an observation, it is still only a theory until it is independently verified by experiment, undisputed evidence or (when dealing with human affairs) proven beyond reasonable doubt in a (fair) court of law. Only then is it reasonable to treat the explanation as a fact or the truth.

I accept the MOSSAD theory as a good (even the best) explanation of what is in the public domain but I recognise that it is only a theory ? not fact. To go beyond that leads to a slippery slope where fact and fiction can become blurred or indistinguishable.

Why is Declan posting as Narnia - have I missed something?

Silverfonz you seem to be conflating multiple issues to tease out a silly answer.

The first thing to note is that urban traffic speeds are governed more by traffic weights not speed limits. The average London speed of 10mph is slower than any speed limit and so independent of them.

Secondly, grannies don't push trollies past traffic lights on main trunk roads or motorways. So this complaint could only be referring to 30mph or 20mph limits on non-trunk, suburban or residential roads.

At 30mph pedestrian fatality rates are around 50%, at 20mph they're around 5%, so these speed limits are set for safety not traffic flow.

To contest this to to essentially say that you don't care who dies if it means 1 minute longer for you to reach your destination, an assertion that (as demonstrated) is falsely attributed to speed limits and entirely antisocial.

Regarding the M25, which was the original debate, this is about traffic flow not safety.

The lower limits at heavily congested periods resulted directly in less erratic driving (heavy acceleration and braking), less differential in traffic speeds by lane, smoother flowing traffic, fewer minor accidents and consequently lower average journey times.

So it's a simple fact, lower peak speeds in highly congested periods shorten journies and make you faster overall.

On another thread I was challenged on why I think so many people to be daft. Silverfox, but your ill-informed obsession with higher speed limits despite their negative impact on your journey time and threat to the health of others is a great example of this.

Or perhaps you just have a schoolboy crush on Jeremy Clarkson?

Besides, if it's a conspiracy, what's the real desired outcome?

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Confused the hell out of me too. I edited twice

> this morning thinking I'd insulted the wrong

> person. Finally the caffeine kicked in and I

> worked out what was going on.

>

> Perhaps he wants to come out of the wardrobe?

I didn't realise your previous post was meant to insult me PGC. What was the insult? I'm quite happy in the wardrobe thanks.

Many people quickly denounce any conspiracy theory as untrue ... and sometimes as unpatriotic or just plain ridiculous. While intelligent cynicism certainly can be healthy, though, some of the greatest discoveries of all time were initially received (often with great vitriol) as blasphemous conspiracy theories -- think of the revelation that the earth was not the center of the universe, or that the world was not flat but actually round.

Richard Gage on KMPH Fox 26 in Fresno, CA

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> silverfox - it can be government policy or it can

> be a conspiracy, can it be both?

>

> And do you not see any upsides to getting more

> people out of cars?

Objectively Sean, no, it can't be both. As govt policy it's above board and hence not a conspiracy. Agreed.

Yes, getting people out of cars is good for many reasons, not least it frees up the road for me so I can put my foot down as long as Huguenot and is mate ruffers get that bloody tandem out of the way.

???? Wrote:

> Does this mean I'm in the Inner Circle now?

Oooo...

I prefer the "Rim"

If I can be on the "Rim" then I'm in/on, so to speak

I think *Bob* likes "Rim" too

I'll ask him for you....! *slips on a pair of red wooden clogs*

*marches up six flights of ever decreasing sized stairs leading to the attic, the last flight is bare wood but with painted edges where a runner once lay*

*knocks at locked door*

"Yes"

"*Bob* (* panting here..*) do you like it on the " Rim " ?

"Ermm...what right now ?" * the room is echoey*

'No generally, like if you were in a club"

"Ermmm.....can I think about it, what was the question again " ?

"Do you like it on the RIM........YES or NO " ?

I will vouch for him and say YES, he likes it on the "Rim"

W**F

Blimey, even as an oldbie I found all the myriad and intricate cross breeding of threads, streams, memes, politics, personalities (new, old, altered and banned), exasperations and grievances on display here almost impossible to follow (a bit like this, or do I mean that, sentence).

And anyway, the butler did it.

At 30mph pedestrian fatality rates are around 50%, at 20mph they're around 5%, so these speed limits are set for safety not traffic flow.

Whilst I don't deny that 20mph in suburban areas is safer, the real conspiracy theory should be around why statistics move around so much. I am assuming here that Huguenot got his/her stats from somewhere official.

A few years ago there was this road safety ad. It said, in an effort to bring traffic speeds from 40mph down to 30mph, that at 30mpg there was a 20% fatality rate. Now 20mph is on the agenda, this has magically leapt up to 50%.

Never trust statistics. Especially government ones.

Sure Loz.

Different time, different location, different results.

Sowing confusion or undermining the data is practised by many interest groups.

I've been fortunate never to have been hit by a car. I do know that I'd prefer to be hit by one at 20 rather than 30, and if it's going 20, I probably won't be hit by a car.

My neighbour that I grew up with was hit by a car when we were 16. He's dead.

I can't believe how righteous people get about cars. Face it, you didn't even invent it or make it. It's a fecking gift from someone else. Make use of it and concede it with good grace.

People talk about conspiracies, but the biggest conspiracy is the 'public interest'.