One-Pan Wonders & other delights

Seabag

Not so much a recipe, more an assembly of ingredients & generally cooked in one pan, with a slice of toast or bread making an appearance

Tea time in our house, between clubs or activities for the kids, is usually when these *ahem* 'classics' make an appearance. They've often been created with some ingenuity and/or a lack of ingredients. Or good as an addition to some Cold Cuts

Bean-o-mato with Sour Dough toast

A tin of beans + a tin of plum tomato

In a pan with a little Mustard, Worcestershire sauce, splash of Balsamic & Cayenne if you like heat

I crush the tomato up somewhat, then simmer the assembly for a good while. This thickens the whole thing, and lets the ingredients get to know each other

Nice thick toast, buttered well

Add grated cheese once plated, if that floats your boat.

Or the Classic "HonaloochiBakedBeans"

(his recipe, not mine, but the only way we now eat straight beans at Bag Towers)

1 tin of beans. Add about a small teaspoon of mustard and a good splash of Worcester sauce

Cooked sloooooowly, until the beans thicken and soften

Serve with toast or a thick slice of ham/cold chicken or whatever, they're deliciously sticky and savoury

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 1 tin of beans. Add about a small teaspoon of

> mustard and a good splash of Worcester sauce

I hate mustard so substitute it with a knob of butter, also a dash of freshly ground black pepper before serving...

Not sure this counts as there's more than one pot involved but it's very quick and easy. For when you have leftover smoked haddock (I overcater to make sure).

Wilt some spinach and press out the liquid.

At the same time, poach or scramble two eggs.

Toast two crumpets or light rye bread.

Assemble in two stacks: crumpet, spinach, haddock, egg, topped with a spoon of real mayonnaise if you have it and maybe some snipped chives.

Takes 5-10 mins.

red devil Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > 1 tin of beans. Add about a small teaspoon of

> > mustard and a good splash of Worcester sauce

>

> I hate mustard so substitute it with a knob of

> butter, also a dash of freshly ground black pepper

> before serving...

Yep, butter and lots of pepper for me.

I love mustard Seabag. Colemans is the one thing I'd import if I move to Vancouver (you want logs?).

A British cabbie with indian roots once told me he liked "Western food but specced up a bit. Fusion doesn't have to be fancy" and we had a great chat which included a scribbled recipe on the receipt for Indian fish and chips.

His other tip was a variation of Seabag's beans:

- Chop and gently fry onion on a low heat

- Add a desert spoon of Pataks curry paste and gently stir into onion

- Add beans, simmer low.

- Serve on toast

Otta Wrote:

> Yep, butter and lots of pepper for me.

Forgot to add, if any in the fridge, a squeeze of tomato puree too for extra tang.

Don't know why, but they come out better by heating them in the oven rather than on the hob, they are baked beans afterall...

A pot of pinto beans are good cooked with or without some pork. Need to add seasoning while cooking, can use jalapeno juice and add an onion. Serve with cornbread and toppings of chopped tomato, grated cheese, chopped onion/spring onion, vinegar. See the Homesick Texan blog for inspiration.