Starting strength

PDarrall

Hi,

It is my intention to start doing free weights in my own house. I've got the equipment arriving, know that I am going to start with the starting strength programme. What I am now looking for is someone who is capable of showing me what good form looks like for a Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press and Barbell Row. Don't really need more than this one lesson, but would be useful to learn this in person rather than from a Youtube video.

Cheers

Paul

Covering all those techniques in one session may be a bit of a stretch. Especially as your technique will develop over time - just one session will not teach your body how to recognise correct form as you continue to train, and especially as you start to fatigue.

You are better off joining a beginners class at a gym or potentially an on ramp at a cross fit box, to get some more thorough training in technique. There is a new crossfit box open in Peckham I think, or more established box nr Bethnal Green (cross fit london)

I wouldn't trust any CrossFit trainer on technique/form issues. The training required to be certified as a CrossFit trainer is minimal and the number of reported injuries of those doing crossfit exercises is very high. It mixes high weights with high reps to failure. A recipe for disaster.

There is a great heavy weights gym in Camberwell called Flaxmans. The trainers there will help you out and it's only ?20 membership.

Starting strength is excellent btw. The 5x5 workout is very similar and also excellent with apps available to track your increases. Early gains will be impressive.

I'd second Flaxmans. I've got quite a few friends in the fitness industry because that was my thing before I retrained and my good friend Jennifer Jaques has been doing fitness and weights for decades.

She competes in bodybuilding competitions, the ones for slim, natural bodybuilders. Her prices for personal training are reasonable too.

She's booked up until November for regular sessions but is happy to do a one off (or two) session.

Give her a shout on 07984 899667 if you're interested.