So....

Louisa

Why, why, why, is it that in the last few years or so whether it be on news reports, TV and Radio interviews and in day to day life, large numbers of people (younger mostly) are beginning sentences or answering questions with "so". I find it infuriating. I often scream at the TV when I see someone beginning a sentence this way. Stop doing it!

Louisa.

This is a quick one - excuse the cut and paste:

"There is a widespread belief?one with no historical or grammatical foundation?that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions."

The rhetorical "so". I'm intrigued and irritated by "so" at the start of a sentence. It's an indicator of something, but I'm not sure what. It's as though the speaker is showing off or trying to change the focus of the conversation. This is why Siobhan Sharpe used it so much. She's real, right? "What's wrong with the BBC?" "So we're talking major brand surgery here."

So, it's almost as iritating as starting a sentence by repeating the same word three times, but not as irritating as starting "well".

I think there's an element of it being dismissive of another's point of view, particular if it is something like "So, let's just say...." and also an element of it being condescending.

I like it for reasons that adonirum mentions. I use it on the forum when the logical conclusion of someone's post or shared link results in idiocy....that's why I use it so often. I tend to use "Soooooooo" to really point out there idiocy in a very deliberately condescending manner

*obviously in my subjective opinion

I used to have an annoying habit of saying "yeah?" at the end of sentences. Sort of like a lobotomised Eastenders character. "I'm just popping out to the shop, yeah?", etc.

I made a conscious effort to stop doing it, but unfortunately not before my wife had picked up the same bad habit. She now tells off our daughter by saying to her "No, yeah?".

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> and 'Here's a thing' is bloody annoying too. (or

> is it 'the thing'?)

It's, Here's the thing. Or, The thing is.... something my brother says all the time when he is trying to push his point of view on you.