Capital

adonirum

Forget all this X-Factor crap, what about "Capital", broadcast last night on BBC1?

I know it was generically set in South London, but it could almost have been a parody on current day ED, don't you think?

The big question arising though, for those that saw it, is this: was the character Arabella Yount based on Louisa?

DuncanW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought it was set specifically in Tooting?

>

>

> Didn't see it, but read that in the blurb

> somewhere, Was it good?

The blurb I read said the book was set in Clapham, and the TV adaptation is set in Balham/Tooting. I don't think there was any mention of Tooting as such, although there was a shot of Tooting Broadway tube station. SW21 was mentioned, but that doesn't exist. I got the impression it was supposed to be somewhere like the 'toast rack' area betwixt the Commons...

• 2 weeks later...

Well this adaptation quickly fizzled out, didn't it, after a promising first episode I felt.

Yep,????, agree about (boringly) predictable characterisations.

Decided Arabella Yount wasn't based on Louisa !!!! far to nasty a character to be "our Louisa".

But the big question after last night's final episode is this: does Louisa make Mr. Louisa forego Newsnight some evenings?

I liked the indulgent campery and near bloody laudable last scenes in the house, where the odd maid hung about

But the locking in a case bit was too much, near gave me a frikkin nightmare

And then what happened to the fire starter in the maze

It was all bonkers beyond belief

Question, with regards to the ?100k found behind the wall by the builder, we were informed that as the notes were very old the money was worthless. Does anyone know is this in fact true? The very few GBP notes I have all denote the following, "I promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of", depending on the value of the note, it does not specify an expiry date. Am I correct in thinking that if these notes were presented to the Bank of England, they would in fact be exchanged for present day currency, providing of course the notes were not forgeries?

I actually had this recently, so I thought it inaccurate as well.

Some old British notes were taken in by my bank and credited to my account. A bank can no longer physically exchange them for current notes, though.

I also had some old Irish notes, but these were "sent off to the BofE for a decision"(my bank's words) to see if they would exchange them, which they wouldn't, the reply being that they were to old.