Greatest Sporting Achievement of the Decade...

Mick Mac

Radio 5 is part way through a debate on this - But what do they know, let's have our own debate.

I'd firstly propose Roger Federer as the dominant tennis player through the decade and having achieved a career grand slam that so few have achieved.

Any other nominations?

As I have started the thread I'd like to say that it can be a one off achievement that stands out significantly or a period of dominance eg Federer.

Ooh. Federer up there for sure. I would do it vociferously in a subjective fashion if tennis didn't bore me senseless.

Arsenal's unbeaten season whilst proponing (?) the beautiful game might pip it.

Ageing Irishmen who had missed their moment achieving the grand slam down to the last kick of the tournament may not rank as the greatest but is surely iconic.

As boring as it may have been, unfashionable and unfancied Greece winning the Euros is a helluvan achievement.

I think he meant Rip van winkle Declan.

Well Radio 5 (East Dulwich shall ignore their decision) have made Bolt the top sporting achievement......

I like MPs list - I'd add Tiger Woods as, ignoring recent personal developments, he has been the most determined single minded sporting achiever for me. His opponents broke one after another when they saw his name on the leaderboard - nerveless determination sets him apart.

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Woods is a good choice if not the best....but

> there must be others

Yes - there are others Declan, that's what the thread's about ;-)- tell me yours and why. No categories, just say why your choice is best.

Having said that I think Nadal's win over Fed at Wimbledon was one of the greatest matches of all time.Having just looked at Wikipedia to confirm I got the details right I was horrified to see that in their list of mens singles champions they have the Irish winners in the 1800's as being British. My brother would turn in his grave if he were dead. He spent 7 years writing the History of Irish Tennis and knew his facts.

History of Irish Tennis

Edited to add link

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> As boring as it may have been, unfashionable and

> unfancied Greece winning the Euros is a helluvan

> achievement.

Definitely a contender, plus the scousers in the European Cup final.

West Hams seemed to have a load of good players then, Tevez, Benyoun, Zamora, Bowyer - what a team. Why did you sell them all?

They did not actually sell Tevez, as he was never theirs to sell. And it was lying about this on two separate occasions that caused so much trouble.

However as we're talking greatest sporting achievement I too would go with Woods, Federer and Liverpool coming back after being 3-0 down...Oh and that Mansfield woman who won 2 swimming golds at the Olympics...

I thought about tiger woods. If he comes back from this and goes on to more majors then as a career acievement he will definitely be one of the greats.

He has had loss of form and injury this decade and thus federer is the greater (for me) for whom loss of form is generally losing in a final!!

Plus the fact that he just can't be bothered in a Ryder cup which is the only golf I watch. (can you tell I'm more of a team sport kind of guy)

Declan, proponing is the gerund, or act of, being a proponent of something, however I suspect I made it up.