Help.. Pain.. :(

philip walker

Suffering a bit, well more than a bit.

About 4 Months ago went to GP with pain in my right bum cheek, that radiates down my right leg. After some poking and stretching, diagnosed a pinched sciatic nerve. He said it would go in about 3 weeks. 4 months later ow ow ow ow ow!

I've been referred to a physio and told by GP not to see a massage therapist/osteopath privately as it could make it a lot worse.

I have been trying to ignore it, but you know, being a man, I think I might actually die. Joking aside, it bloody hurts, a lot! pain right down my leg, much worse when I am sitting down, walking relieves it quite a lot.

Any fellow sufferers got any advice? I have been trying to avoid taking strong pain killers as I ride a motorbike, but last couple of days I have had to as the pain is a right pain in the arse, quite literally.

P.. :(

The Eye Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nope. Get yourself down the Osteopath pronto!! I

> had a pinched nerve years ago and wanted to chop

> my arm off. Your doctors a fool.

Agreed! I know an excellent one...Amberin at the Grove Vale Practice.

Oh god have I had that & some

It nearly crippled me & Mrs W**F was non too sympathetic either

It was the worst pain ever & had it gone on any longer I'd have slung my self under a bus

I did go to a physiotherapist & had a damn good stretch out/ pain killer / anti-inflam fest

Recovered in about 3-4 weeks

But Ohh that pain...

W**F

I've been back to GP, and it was a different Doctor in fact. Both were very clear that going to an osteopath could make it worse.

It is strange because there is no pain in my back, just my backside and right down my leg. It was just now and then, and it would twinge after sitting for a while, but for a week or so it has been constant except when I am up and walking around, and I have taken to popping pills to sort it out. I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to prescription meds, I have pretty much been off my face for a few days!

I think I have to wait about a month to get a physio appointment. Not sure I can wait that long, is there a private practice in ED?

Oh, I just read this to Mrs W**F

Apparently it went like this .....

6 weeks physio, then Craniosacral ( not cranio osteopath ) therapy then more anti inflams ...then ahhhhh no more pain

I do remember literally crawling to the bathroom

Oh and sneezing then wetting myself, couldn't wipe my ar......either

Am I sharing "too much" here ?

W**F

Ladymuck Wrote:

> woofmarkthedog Wrote:

> ....Mrs W**F was non too

> > sympathetic either

>

>

> At least she didn't put you down! Woof!

She tries but I don't swallow see !

When I was Ill last she gave me a "will" form to fill out...

I kid you not

W**F

Sounds like piriformis syndrome

description

I treated quite a few of these in a previous life and suggest that you try the chiropractor/massage therapist/osteopath route suggested above.

Any well qualified person will check to see what the cause is first before they attempt to treat so that they don't make it worse!

Hope you are better soon

SS

Hi all thanks for messages and private messages!

Saw Dr this morning again, 2nd time in 2 days as I was up all night in pain. Again the doctor said I should not see an osteopath or massage therapist, commenting that they do not have enough knowledge of anatomy and physiology and could make it much worse.

I've been put on some hardcore pain killers called tramadol, that have rendered me unconscious for most of today, very fuzzy head now. Not sure I will take those again! Also been put on anti inflammatory tablets and have to go for an MRI scan tomorrow so hoping that will show where the problem is, apparently where the pain is indicates some kind of pressure on the nerve where the nerve goes through the hip.

All a bit of a blur today but still walking around like a 75 year old, its bloody sore. :(

thanks again for advice and messages you lovely ED people.

P..

Zzzzzzz.....

philip walker Wrote:

Again the doctor said I

> should not see an osteopath or massage therapist,

> commenting that they do not have enough knowledge

> of anatomy and physiology and could make it much

> worse.

That is very interesting, a number of years ago I lived in a shared house with a couple who were osteopaths. One of them was coaching her younger sister through medical school. I remember her saying that while medics spent a month on the anatomy of the leg, osteo's spent a term. I'm not sure if that is still true and am no expert on anatomy myself!

I can't offer anything more helpful I'm afraid but I hope the MRI scan is helpful and that you get relief from the pain.

philip walker Wrote:

Again the doctor said I

> should not see an osteopath or massage therapist,

> commenting that they do not have enough knowledge

> of anatomy and physiology and could make it much

> worse.

>

>

xxxxxxx

I'd be very wary of taking advice from someone who doesn't seem to have much knowledge of what osteopathy is.

A properly qualified osteopath does years of training, including - obviously - anatomy and physiology.

Can't comment on massage therapists, but presumably you would not be looking to have massage for something like this?

I hope the MRI has given you some answers.

I think it is safe to say that your GP probably has no idea what the training of a chiropractor or osteopath involves. They are very well trained in physiology and anatomy. As I said before if you go along to see a chiro/osteo they will check and diagnose the problem before starting treatment so are not likely to make things worse.

Good luck

You could try Feldenkrais, which has helped me enormously after about 8 years of intermittent physio/osteo/massage/cranio-sacral therapy/visits to neurologist etc with aftermath of a cycling accident. All of them helped manage the pain to some extent, especially cranio-sacral therapy, but Feldenkrais seems to be able to get closer to putting it right. I'm told it's based on physio but works at the neurological level.

If you're interested, Karine does a class at 4pm on Monday at the Dulwich Therapy Rooms opposite Somerfield. The class doesn't involve manipulation by someone else as you do the (very small, slow) movements yourself, so no risk of hurting yourself.

You have to be very careful that you're not seeing a quack. Osteopathy at its best is not always quackery, although the evidence suggests it is very limited in what issues it can address. But check the person has undergone a proper medical residency. Chiropractors, cranial-sacro and Feldenkrais is nonsense as far as i can tell, ie there is no evidence it has anything more than a (admittedly sometimes powerful) placebo effect. On balance, your GP is probably right.

My husband was in the same situation 2 years ago and as a last resort went to see an acupuncturist (Grove Vale practice) and within 24 hours he said the relief from the pain was amazing. He eventually got an appt at Kings to see the physio and they gave him some exercises, but did say that the acupuncture was excellent for sciatica