Untaxed vehicles

Dodo1

Look on the LOCAL INFO Tab up there to the right, and call the local police and also try 020 7525 2000 which is Southwark Environment, tho they may tell you to call the local police.

When you see a PSCO on his or her beat (to be honest I see quite a few these days but then I don't work 9 to 5 out of the area) tell them about it too.

I'm really sorry to hear that Dodo1. How traumatic for you to witness all those untaxed cars. That must have been awful. I think you should call the Police immediately. They are brilliant at dealing with this type of thing and may even be able to get you some counselling with Victims Support. You are so brave posting it on the forum. Hang in there.

KK

If one in 50 cars are untaxed that would represent about 700,000 untaxed cars @ ?150 / car = ~ ?100m in unpaid tax - therefore requiring gov't to increase taxes on others who are paying (or if all were paying taxes could be reduced by that sum). Untaxed cars, as PR has pointed out, are often also uninsured - increasing insurance rates for others in a similar fashion. On the occasions that police set up a "pull over" scheme selecting untaxed vehicles by comparing reg no with DVLC data they find that a significant % of the owners of the untaxed cars are uninsured and involved in other illegal activities, or have outstanding warrants for arrest - ranging from drugs & weapons, illegal immigrants, violence and so on.

It can therefore be argued that drawing attention to such vehicles is the work of a concerned citizen and, if the police or others take action, that the local society will benefit.

Woofmarkthedog as a Tottenham fan I have often found myself sectioned under the mental health act over the years.

Mere counselling cannot help, only strong anti-hallucinetic drugs do the trick.

Mind you, I'd have thought Arsene Wenger and the rest of the Arsenal team are regulars at Victims Support.

I mean, fancy being tackled by opponents during football matches! That's bullying.

I get your points I really do.

However, I'm not saying it's good to avoid paying car tax or brak the law or that I would be happy to have an untaxed car hit mine, it is ignorant to suggest otherwise. Read my email I am asking a basic question to the offended person/OP. True, MarmoraMan, many arguments can be drawn about this and that. But is there really a need to report things that don't really affect you in any real and calculable way, when you don't know the story and havn't bothered to try and check ? You don't go around reporting people on a what if basis just to make yourself feel better and convince your self it's for the communal good (as above is being suggestde as a 'reason' for it), not in this example and not without perhaps doing something less aggressive like leaving a polite note on the car saying what you intend to do.

In some of the cases there could be a reason for it that if you knew it you may act less self-assured about it, you just don't know.

Your belligerent 'reporting' could be screwing someone who has no bad intent.

In the spirit of 'community' would the same person move down the bus/train in a rush hour, offer a seat to a pregnant woman or interfere when an old lady in the street is being hassled by youths, maybe yes maybe no, but the example above is a cheap and cowardly win. Curtain twitching.

Good for you Dodo 1 I agree with you completely, I pay mine so what makes them so special. Ignore the moronic wailings of the riff raff.

Sorry KidKruger I usually side with your opinions but not this time, if they are cheating on their tax payments they should be stopped!

The thought of a loved one being involved in a car accident is nightmarish to say the least. How to make matters even worse - have the other party be uninsured. If this should ever happen to you KK et al then, trust me, you'll be less laissez-faire about untaxed drivers (who are inevitably uninsured). If they can't afford tax or insurance then get the bus.

I'm with KK. I think that it's totally out of order people driving around without taxed cars and they should be jumped upon by the law but the police can do this easily and often if they want to, and in some places they don't because of all sorts of reasons. It's their job, its easy to enforce...I'm not grassing up my neighbours.

I'm with KK too. Yes, of course its out of order to drive an untaxed car but I doubt I would go out of my way to report them. There are sooooo many other things I would have to report first.

I am sure that everywhere I have lived in the UK, cars without tax on public roads are dealt with.

Ever experienced some idiot leaving a taxed car outside your front door/drive for months? Thats annoying too IMO.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm with KK. I think that it's totally out of

> order people driving around without taxed cars

"Driving around without taxed cars"?

How do you do that?

Have you been on the Stella mate?

Give it up....

I do agree, its mildly annoying seeing an untaxed car when you have always kept your own car roadworthy and within the law but there are so many worse crimes going on in London. Its small fry - I doubt I'd report it. Anyway its either got to be taxed or declared SORN, so a computer somewhere will flag them up as a tax-dodger and issue a fine.

giggirl Wrote:

> The thought of a loved one being involved in a car

> accident is nightmarish to say the least. How to

> make matters even worse - have the other party be

> uninsured. If this should ever happen to you KK

> et al then, trust me, you'll be less laissez-faire

> about untaxed drivers (who are inevitably

> uninsured). If they can't afford tax or insurance

> then get the bus.

I absolutely agree with this and would have posted something very similar. I have recently noticed DVLA vehicles driving around the area with a car camera and have seen vehicles clamped with stickers saying due to no tax. The council is also pretty good at removing vehicles or they used to be. Somebody parked some sort of kit car with no tires in my road and covered it up and within a day it was gone.

giggirl Wrote:

> The thought of a loved one being involved in a car

> accident is nightmarish to say the least. How to

> make matters even worse - have the other party be

> uninsured. If this should ever happen to you KK

> et al then, trust me, you'll be less laissez-faire

> about untaxed drivers (who are inevitably

> uninsured).

but there is some protection against this via the motor insurance bureau (albeit protection that paying policyholders ultimately fund) so i don't know how difference the experience is

in general i'm not one to go telling tales unless i know that there's a real threat to health or property (which failure to pay tax isn't, regardless of whatever else people are saying that untaxed drivers (or abandoners) get up to). i'm also not one to get too worked up by the 'i pay so everybody else should' arguments - i tend to worry about keeping my own affairs in order and accept that in any respect not everyone is perfect so if i allowed myself to get upset whenever anyone else was poorly behaved i'd be upset (or outraged) most of the time

as someone else has said it's easy for the dvla/police to track down untaxed owners if they want and they do in fact do this sometimes

Jeremy Wrote:

> Sometimes cars are taxed, but the owner has forgot

> to put the new disc in the window. I've done it

> several times...

jimmy two times Wrote:

> And sometimes the tax disc is in the post.

Irrelevant. The offence is failure to display a valid tax disc, not failing to have one.