Untaxed vehicles

Dodo1

I have a car parked up on the road in East Dulwich at the moment without a tax disc, it was SORN but was brought out of retirement (and a garage) on Wednesday. I applied online for the disc on Tuesday which is now in the post, hence my tax disc says "14 April 2010 - tax in the post".

As far as I'm aware that is correct, I have the online application reference number to back this up too. I'm now hoping this isn't an offence and am frantically checking t'internet to find out.

[edited once] for typos

phew:

"If you use the electronic vehicle licensing service or tax by post at the end of the month, there?s now an exemption for not displaying a tax disc. This exemption covers the first five working days of the month to allow time for the new disc to arrive in the post. While you are still waiting for your tax disc you will need to display your current tax disc. The exemption only applies if applications are made before the current tax disc or SORN expires."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10021514

jimmy two times Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm really sorry to hear that Dodo1. How traumatic

> for you to witness all those untaxed cars. That

> must have been awful. I think you should call the

> Police immediately. They are brilliant at dealing

> with this type of thing and may even be able to

> get you some counselling with Victims Support. You

> are so brave posting it on the forum. Hang in

> there.

When you next moan about car tax/road tax being so high... stop and remember this post.

But I am sure you'd nevr moan about such a thing.

I've often let mine go overdue for a couple of weeks as have been skint and couldn't pay it. And yes i've driven around with an out of date tax disc too (gasp!). I wish people would just keep their noses out of things that don't concern them. There's a database at the DVLA (supposedly) that will flag up anyone who is untaxed at the push of a button. Unless the car has been abandoned leave it up to the owner to sort their own life out. And not everyone who isn't up to date with their tax is uninsured!

This post is not really about cars having no Road Tax it is the thought that persons could even think of parking in

HIS ROAD so that they can be removed. That is so anoying.

Hi

There are a number of vehicles in my road which are untaxed. How do I go about reporting them (so that they can be removed)?

I find the tenor of this thread confusing.

Why is it, apparently, OK to avoid tax on cars for a number of posters - yet not OK for other forms of tax avoidance to be considered. I sense that those using "snitch" / "nosy" and other terms would happily "snitch" if they discovered a business was avoiding local business rates, or a parent was using a false address to get into a "good" school, or a banker was taking a bonus in a "tax efficient" fashion.

What is it that makes car tax OK to avoid but other rules right to obey and draw attention to lapses?

Lordshiplovely wrote:- And yes i've driven around with an out of date tax disc too (gasp!).

I do not think that this thread is directed at the late payers LL like your good self just the 'never payers' of tax or insurance.

I don't think the 'none of your business' argument is valid.

We enter into social agreements to share the costs of services that we all benefit from. We simply employ the tax 'authorities' to do the job on our behalf.

We don't, by extension, abdicate responsibility for that task, and we shouldn't victimise the people we employ.

Quite simply tax evasion is ripping us all off. It is our business. Grass 'em.

If it's a poor postal service or a technicality, it'll all come out in the wash. If you can't afford to run a car, sell it. I'm 40, never owned one and never suffered as a consequence. Might not always have been totally convenient, but what is?

Marmora Man Wrote:

> I find the tenor of this thread confusing.

>

> Why is it, apparently, OK to avoid tax on cars for

> a number of posters - yet not OK for other forms

> of tax avoidance to be considered.

Simply not paying the correct amount of tax of any sort is illegal, including car tax. Tax avoidance is legal tax planning within the law which is legal. Tax evasion is not paying, which is illegal. Not paying car tax is evasion I guess.

Tax avoiders are unpopular, tax evaders are criminals.

I'm bored now. I better stop.

It would appear the DVLA office should expect to receive a lot of calls from the community-minded socially-conscious of ED as they carry out their 'duty' and 'obligation' to the UK's people, cleansing the streets of cheats, in reporting car owners of untaxed vehicles, INCLUDING those who have simply forgotten, been ill, been on holiday, had accidents or experienced the birth of a child and been temporarily distracted.

If we get some of the unintentional evaders too well that's just too bad eh, the law's the law.

Surely, the community spirited above have never inadvertently got on the train at ED station and expected to buy a ticket at LB having travelled there 'ilegally' eh ? Nor paid their TV licence (it's a TAX, right ?) late, not expecting to be penalised the very day they are overdue ?

C'mon folks you KNOW there's no justification for grassing folks down your street, no-one is saying (any form of) tax dodging is acceptable at all - watch the cars for a while, remind them 'in the interests of the community' with a polite note, then perhaps report if your advice is ignored ?

Wouldn't that make for the better 'community spirit' ?

• 3 months later...

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Please be aware.

>

> If you do not have a Tax Disc but do have

> insurance, that insurance is INVALID.

>

> If you have an accident you are NOT COVERED

>

> So if you still think people should mind their

> own business, It is everyones business.

incorrect.

you are insured but leave yourself open to subsequent legal action to recover any costs incurred by the insurer as you may not have fulfilled the T&C of the insurance contract.

Are the vehicles in question clearly abandoned? Is there conclusive evidence that they being driven? If so, then they should be dealt with properly.

However, before we get all high and mighty is it conceivable that that owner/s cannot afford to have the vehicle/s taxed/repaired due to the recession?

Perhaps they can't declare it SORN as it is on a public highway, perhaps they live in a flat and for whatever reason it cannot be kept on private land? Each individual circumstance is exactly that, an individual circumstance.

In the past whilst living in Yorkshire I owned a vehicle that was on a SORN. It had to be moved on a lowloader and taken to a relatives house to be stored at great expense because it was on an unclaimed road (opposite my flat) and as such was illegally parked even though it was not an inconvenience to anyone. At the time I simply could not afford to have it repaired and made road worthy. It was insured, it wasn't driven illegally, but the tax disk was out of date. I was not in a position to get it through its MOT. A "Concerned" neighbour reported it as abandoned even though I used to go and wash the damned thing twice a month. Had they asked I'd have explained the situation. What actually happened was adding insult to injury.

Whilst abandoned vehicles are a nuisance and should be removed, in this instance we don't know the full facts. Everything else in this thread may well be factually correct but frankly is banging our gums.

randombloke Wrote:

> At the time I simply

> could not afford to have it repaired and made road

> worthy.

Therefore it shouldn't have been on a road!! Surely the fact that it was on a SORN means that you signed something to the effect of 'I declare that this vehicle is not on a public highway' etc etc. But you continued to keep on a public road.....

A few years back, I had an abandoned car parked for MONTHS outside my house - it had the grass growing under it, moss on roof etc etc, but I was told that as the vehicle was taxed there was nothing anyone could do. After waiting for the tax to expire, I was then told by the DVLA that although the tax was invalid, the owner had been in contact with them and they had made an exception! So it appears there are ways, if in dire circumstances, that you can get leniency. So there is no excuse for simply not bothering to renew your tax disc. As someone else said, if you can't afford the tax, sell the car.