Peckham Sunday Market

cate

I wanted to call attention to this market as it is very close by. It's outside Peckham Library every Sunday between 9 am - 1 pm. There are some new stallholders there now, including two Polish ones. One is a guy selling delicious hot food including Hunter's Stew and Pierogis. I have sampled all his offerings and can recommend them. The other is a cake stall which sells homemade Polish cheesecake. I don't think the market is publicised at all which is a shame as it means the businesses don't do well. Other stalls are a bread stall (Flour Power), 3 fruit and vegetables places, one of them is only there in the summer months, a cheese place and an occasional fish stall. There has also been an appearance recently by the sausage people who are normally at Dulwich 'Farmer's' Market the last Sunday of each month at Dulwich College. They cook their sausages there and you can buy them in a bun. There was a woman selling amazing chutneys and jams a few times (evidently she is normally at Blackheath) but she didn't last long. What is needs is a coffee place and perhaps a juice maker. I do wish the person in charge of the market would do a bit more PR work.

I work hard enough thanks. Ohhhhh you mean THAT kinda PR!

I agree with what you say. The one time I got up early enough to go down there, there were only four stalls and it was 11.00am. TO be fair there are several banner adverts around but I guess they have gone off their moorings in the wind, and also its location is its advert to passing traffic. And the nearest parking is Morrisons. But fair point and thanks for reminding us of it!

Maybe if the Farmers market relocated to somewhere like GG or PR it would do better? Most of the people who would go to this type of market would not want to be heading down into Peckham to have to buy the goods. Anyway, who needs a decent fruit and veg stall and some decent sausage meat when you've got those gorgeous grocery stores spread (literally) along Rye Lane? :))

Louisa.

I live in Peckham and used to go to this sometimes when it started up (I think about 5 or 6 years ago) - there did used to be a lot of stalls and a fair few people around each time, so promotion was by word of mouth but this seems to have dropped off now. Personally I think it is in quite a good spot already, peckham rye is a nice location but quite close to East Dulwich which already offers these kind of goods at North Cross road market, and there are already market stalls in and around rye lane on the weekend. Peckham Library is a good spot as it's easy for people who live in north and central peckham (who aren't so close to peckham rye etc.) and is a large space which lots of people spend time around during the weekend. I think a little promotion on the southwark council website or in the southwark weekender or something would probably do the trick

"Most of the people who would go to this type of market would not want to be heading down to Peckham".

Louisa you phu&*%ing snob.

Do you really think Peckham is made up of poor ignorant people who only all shop at Iceland, Primark etc?

Peckham is definitely home to a large African contingent just as Southall is to Indian/Asians.

So What. I love it. And some of those shops may sell stuff you do not like, so don't go there, but don't slag it off.

I think the Farmers Market would do well if there was more advertising, but maybe it does fine as it is.

Parking can be found in Lidl car park and all along the end of Bellenden Road for free on a Sunday. PR, I don't think the market does well unless you are already established there. There is a farmer from Kent who comes up every Sunday and she has an established base of customers. However, the newbies don't seem to do well. I don't really go there for an experience but did like it before more when you could at least get a cup of coffee. There is also a periodic appearance of plant and herb sellers.

daizie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hands up the farmers market clientelle that chose

> to travel into the depths of Peckham.

>

> Hands up the dwellers of deepest Peckham that

> choose to buy from the farmers market.

>

> You know you're out there .

Deepest peckham dweller - have and do sometimes still buy stuff from there

daizie Wrote:

> Hands up the farmers market clientelle that chose

> to travel into the depths of Peckham.

>

> Hands up the dwellers of deepest Peckham that

> choose to buy from the farmers market.

>

> You know you're out there .

There are lots of people who go to the swimming pool and the library and the market is in the same place, except only on a Sunday. And it is not a 'farmer's' market as not all the stallholders are farmers.

I shop in Peckham all the time. I go there for certain things. I go to Brixton and Lewisham for others. In fact I can say that ED least serves my needs in terms of shopping (apart form Sainsburry's) but have no problem with travelling a mile or two to get what I want.

Is Louisa a troll I wonder?

i am loving the peckham big up - I am moving FROM east dulwich TO peckham in fact. lordship lane is so samey. i am looking forward to a culinary adventure - it's got the best persian shop in london, a farmers market, amazing fruit and veg stalls - sooooo cheap too. any other peckham tips for a first(ish) timer welcome peckham massive.........

PeckhamRose Wrote:

> Must admit I get a lot of chinese stuff in the

> shop by Morrisons.

Funny story - during his first week at uni my mate alex had 'intimate relations' with the girl who stands to inherit that business and the MASSIVE chinese supermarket the same people own in Croydon

tinkerbell Wrote:

> i am loving the peckham big up - I am moving FROM

> east dulwich TO peckham in fact. lordship lane is

> so samey. i am looking forward to a culinary

> adventure - it's got the best persian shop in

> london, a farmers market, amazing fruit and veg

> stalls - sooooo cheap too. any other peckham tips

> for a first(ish) timer welcome peckham

> massive.........

Get to know about burgess park!! Wicked for cycling with a big long straight where you can go really fast and a nice botanical garden with cafe