Mum and baby/toddler groups

I have just moved to east dulwich from east London in the last 2 weeks and know no one at all in the area! I wondered if someone could recommend a good mum and baby/toddler group? My son is currently 8 months old. Ideally on a Monday or Tuesday. Many thanks in advance, Jess

Hummy Mummies is the best group I've found. My son is now 19 months and we've been going since he was tiny.

Check out the website: http://www.hummymummies.com/

Most importantly you get to sing your heart out to proper songs (while the kids do their thing)

Really enjoyable, great for the soul and Richard who runs it is v chilled and an ace teacher.

Hi jess, agree the ed tots page is really good, shows all free and paid classes.there are so many, you are spoilt for choice. I moved a year ago fro. East London to ED too. I can rrecommend the sure start centres particularly ivydale in nunhead and Bessemer grange in Dulwich. They have great play groups with some specifically for babies plus singing, rhyme time. They are really well run and eqipped. nct has a bumps and babes group on a Mon and most of the mums I've met are going or bee to baby sensory in honor oak and love it. The forest hill pool is new and really good too for swimming.

Hi,

My names Laura, I'm the events manager for the Clockhouse. I am really keen to organise a mums and baby/toddler groups for during the week. We have a large event room upstairs that you could use, a tv small bar area but completely closed off so no need to worry once the crawling stage is in full swing!!

Happy for ideas to what you are looking for and i will do my best to accommodate!!

Laura

Personally I'm a fan of the cheap and cheerful playgroup type things - some toys for the little ones and an opportunity for Mums/Dads/careers to have a coffee (or even better, wine!) and cake. There are lots of structured ?5 a pop type groups in the area, but not so many unstructured drop in type things (in my experience, I could be looking in the wrong places!).

But it sounds like your room could also be ideal for some of the established groups in the area to use as a venue too, great way to use the space when the pub would usually be quiet.

Good luck, look forward to popping in one evening without the kids to check out the refurb.

Yay for play group at clockhouse! Please if possible could you bear the toddlers ie 12mnths plus in mind? I find that similar groups at crooked well is difficult once the baby is moving. Your room sounds great upstairs though. Excited to have another group in the area and agree wholeheartedly about the cheap and cheerful (and the wine).

Yes, colouring stuff for slightly older kids, a job lot of duplo style building blocks (easy to store in one of those big plastic crates), cheap and cheerful cars etc. I'm sure it would be easy enough to get donations from parents who would use the group. Either a minimal entrance fee, or free (in the knowledge that you'll sell refreshments). I've never been to the Crooked Well group, but understand they have DIY crumpets etc which is a good idea. Toast/crumpets/biscuits etc will keep kids happy for longer.

Looking forward to hearing more about this TheClockHouse, I came along on a rainy day (pre-refurb) with my friend and your bar staff kindly put on the jungle book for me and my friends little ones whilst we all had lunch, if the rest of your staff are as kind and welcoming as she was, your playgroup (read mums and dads drinking den.. ;-) ) will be great

TheClockHouse - this all sounds great but you've got to think about whether you will be able to run everything single-handed.

Who provides the toys, who sets up every week, who buys the tea/coffee/milk/sugar/cakes etc. etc.

We are happy to run everything our side, tea/coffee/milk etc all fine as obviously we have it all for the bar and restaurant!

We are thinking of opening the Blake room (event space) from 9-12 monday - friday. A reduced cost for a tea/coffee and a pastry. Lots of toys and colouring for the little ones!

TheClockhouse,

What a fab service this would be for local mums! The fact that the times are flexible (you dont have to rush feed, sleeps etc) is a godsend.

Really excited about this.

Well done on the refurb as well, I havent had a chance to come in yet but from the outside it looks lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jess,

I'm going to be running 2 baby massage courses in The Clockhouse pub. Lovely Laura has booked me into the gorgeous Blake Room on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11.15-12.30pm. Each course is 5 weeks and is suitable for newborn to 1 year.

I am IAIM (International Association of Infant Massage) trained and there is more detail about the course on the website http://www.iaimbabymassage.co.uk/iaim-baby-massage-experience.html#course

The benefits can include:

For your baby

Helping your baby to feel securely attached

Helping your baby to feel more loved, valued and respected

Reduced crying and emotional distress

Increased levels of relaxation and longer sleep

Development of body awareness and coordination

Relief from wind, colic, constipation and teething discomfort

For you

Feeling closer to your baby

Gaining a deeper understanding of your baby's behavior, crying and body language

Providing an enjoyable opportunity for you to spend one-to-one time with your baby

Feeling the relaxing effects of giving your baby a massage

Increased confidence in your ability to care for and nurture your baby

Learning a life-long parenting skill

If anyone wants to find out more or book a place, I'd love to hear from you.

Buggies can be kept in the room with us, I am happy to help carry them upstairs or if you live local and can carry baby in a sling, that would be great too.

Laura

[email protected]