Possible lactose intolerance - goats or rice milk?

My 14 month son is possibly lactose intolerant and so we have been suggested to cut out cows milk for a few weeks and try an alternative.

Alternatives suggested are goats or rice milk

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which is better for them (fat nutrients wise) and also which is more convenient to get not just in london but if we are travelling to see friends etc

Was loving how easy cows milk was can you pick it up everywhere now having to find an alternative

Thanks

My boy is allergic to dairy and told by our dietician not to use rice milk as an alternative as it contains too high levels of Arsenic for under 5s. http://www.food.gov.uk/science/research/surveillance/fsisbranch2009/survey0209#.UekKEqa9LCQ.

Once he is a year old he has been advised can drink soya, oat or koko coconut milk as his alternative. Also almond milk could be a good alternative but my son also has a nut allergy so out of the question for us.

My son is allergic to dairy and would not have any milk alternative , I had great success with tropicana calcium enriched orange juice . He will drink that with ease . I then use spinach etc in his food to get more calcium in him .

Other countries don't get their main source of calcium from cow's milk and they are healthy so don't worry about milk alternatives if its rejected and try via other means .

Also told to steer clear of rice for under 5's by dietician. It's also sickeningly sweet, so probably not the best option. We have been on oat milk since my daughter was 9 months old (as she would not take dairy free alternatives). Try to get to see a paeds dietician via referral to the team at kings to make sure your lo is gettin enough calcium and other nutrients (ps I have checked all the labels and oat milk (oatly) has the highest calorie count and highest % of other nutrients); they are all unfortunately much lower fat than cows milk so you should look to upping fat intake also. You can also get oat cream from waitrose/ocado; no calcium but good source of extra calories eg on strawberries or alternative to yoghurt/dairy cream (mine likes it straight up from the fridge)!

Down to personal taste, up until I discovered my boy was allergic to nuts I substituted cows milk for unsweetened almond milk and happily had it in my tea and on cereal. I now have unsweetened soya milk which too is fine. My son not yet drinking a milk substitute as only 10 months but he has koko coconut milk on his cereal or in his porridge and happily eats that.

Mine both had SMA LF which is lactose free . don't know if it would work for yours as still cows milk but worth a think. They both have cows milk now (since being over 2) and ate fine with it. Hope you get something your little one can tolerate x

Thanks everyone

I'm going to try and call the doctor tomorrow for some clarification. She mentioned both lactose intolerance and 'milk protein' but after doing some investigating prompted by comments above if she thinks its lactose why would she suggest goats milk if that's got a high lactose content as cows milk.

Now quite confused! :)