home education: anyone doing it?

My husband is keen to home educate our son. We've got a year or so before the decision about school - and of course it's not a one off decision. I would love to talk to other people who have considered this / done it etc.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on it! Our son is very young still but we're thinking we'll take his lead - if school turns out to be right for him further down the line we'd never say no, but the state of the education system atm and a general ambivalence around formal education at all before the age of 7 has made us think we'd like to pursue home ed.

It seems like it's a more and more popular choice, and there are lots of Home Ed groups around in addition to things like Forest School to ensure HE kids have a rich social life as well as a broad academic education. I hated the structure of school and how I was expected to just be friends with 29 random other kids born in the same year so I like the idea of my son being able to form relationships a bit more organically.

Feel free to PM if you fancy a chat about it - there are a lot of FB groups specific to SE London that might be worth a look too :)

It's such a bold decision- and I think I understand it if you've tried school and it really doesn't work for your child or you're planning on sailing round the world. what I don't get is how and why would you make that call based on no experience of today's incredible primary school education? To deny your child a potentially amazing childhood at school with all the life enriching experiences and friendships that it entails boldly marking them out as 'different' for the rest of their lives is such a radical thing to do on their behalf. I understand that the 1 to 1 education will surely advance them academically- but have to question why a parent wouldn't choose to do that alongside mainstream education should they so wish. I'm not trying to be provocative I just don't get it. What's led you to make that decision?

I've not made the decision yet; my husband very keen - he's studying to be an educational psychologist and doing his dissertation on how Ed Physcs might work with children at home and / or support children to remain in school / return to school etc. He's rather steeped in the world at the moment and keen.

I'm asking questions to gather more information and insight to inform the decision. I suppose the same question could be asked about school - ie why send your child to school without thinking about / testing other approaches just because society uses schools as places to locate children ...

Also I don't see home ed as 1:1 education - lots of groups that teach and learn together. It's much more about much more flexibility, responsiveness, permission to follow the child -- one of the things that research is finding is that the school environment tends to have a specific power dynamic between the adult and the child - ie the adult is dominant and the child is subordinate and this has an impact on a child's creativity, independence etc.

and I'm really not convinced that the only approach to a "amazing childhood with life enriching experiences and friendships" can only come from school...

But as I say at the moment I'm exploring ... hope that answers the question

Anne

Hello, now in schools do very heavy workload. First, they sit in class, and then come home and do the tasks that they were given at school. Personally, my son spends more than three hours doing homework. Because of a lot of lessons, our children do not have enough time to do what they like. Not enough time for games, for walks. I have not yet decided to switch to homeschooling, but I found on the Internet very good help for me and for my children, https://essayshark.com/. Essay writing helps to save my time also. Now we spend every evening together, my son decided to go to the football section. It makes me very happy!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, now in schools do very heavy workload. First, they sit in class, and then come home and do the tasks that they were given at school. Personally, my son spends more than three hours doing homework. Because of a lot of lessons, our children do not have enough time to do what they like. Not enough time for games, for walks. I have not yet decided to switch to homeschooling, but I found on the Internet very good help for me and for my children, https://essayshark.com/ . Essay writing helps to save my time also. Now we spend every evening together, my son decided to go to the football section. It makes me very happy!!!