Recommended - Little Kickers Football sessions

esme

Just wanted to put a note on here to say what great fun Little Kickers is - run at the ED Community Centre, Darryl Road, on Saturdays. Age from 2+ years.

Works out about ?8 per session, block bookings only but they're flexible if you're away. Tel. 7252 1185 Bernie.

The coaches we have - Sophie and Jamie - are excellent, very patient and it's obviously tiring so they sleep like logs afterwards :)

Very happy to second that.

What I like is that our 2 year old hasn't just progressesed from not even being able or interested in kicking a ball to being able to dribble through cones and score in a little net, but also has been learning to take instructions from the coaches (e.g. they sit nicely, do little warm up and coordination exercises based on what the coach tells them to do - like putting a ball on their knees, then their toes, then 'stampy stamps' - and get used to the idea of being coached).

Most importantly, the little ones seem to enjoy it as well.

Really? I found them pretty mediocre and lacking in any kind of tempo and energy. My 2 yr old's attention span waned when it seemed to take both coaches to set up every drill and the 3 drinks breaks they had in a session. He enjoyed it when he actually got a turn on the exercises but given the size of the class he didn't seem to get enough tries to keep him interested (cue running off and hiding behind curtain/going for a scoot). Maybe they have improved!! Tried to feedback to Bernie but didn't seem interested - I think they have a fairly easy recruitment in ED.

• 3 weeks later...

The classes are on 11.30-12.30 for 2-3 yr olds each Saturday. Currently at ED community centre but they're considering moving to a park in Telegraph Hill that has a nice outdoor grass playing field and large indoor hall for the winter.

I think coach Sophie is amazing, she lets them learn at their own pace, no pressure (tho there are a cpl of competitive dads I have noticed!), they do different activities with the ball to get used to it and build up weekly. My little boy has gone from carrying it around to now doing some of the dribbling exercises and loves the social aspect.

All in all I think it's a great way to spend a Sat morning and let the kids run off their excess energy :)

I love the Little Kickers early morning class. My boys have been attending since they were 18 months old have really developed their skills. They go to the 8:30am class with their dad which means I get to sleep in (occasionally)...