Trying for a second baby

blackkat

Anyone else had problems getting pregnant a second time? Will the Dr help at all if you've already had a baby? It took a year first time and it's been almost a year again so far. Not as frustrating this time because at least I have a beautiful little one to raise my spirits, just wondered if anyone has been through the same and has any advice? Acupuncture? Ta.

I think the doctors tend to help if after a year, def worth asking though. It took us nearly that I think with number 2, and I did get some tests run as my cycle was haywire post pill, they were all fine but it put my mind at rest.

Hi. Took 3 months with number one, now aged 2yrs 5m, been trying now for 20 months! Doctor offered blood tests for me, would need sample from hubby, but I found the whole doctor chat too emotional, so have decided to let nature decide!

And yes, very happy with our little one x

• 11 months later...
We have been trying for 2 years and unfortunately because we already have one there isn't much you get on the NHS in terms of fertility treatment. I've had bloods (all fine) and a scan (all fine) done on the NHS, but if we wanted to do more invasive tests or start hormonal therapy we would have to go privately. I know loads of couples who took ages with the second, my own mother in law took her 6 years to conceive her second child, so i am not losing hope (for now....)

Acupuncture or reflexology can both help, even if only to give you some relaxation time. Ovulation kits (available v cheaply on eBay) can also help, as can watching your secretions, the time is right when they are like egg whites. Get your oh to eat plenty of oranges etc for vit c which helps sperm. Are you still bf? I had to stop with my first as we weren't having any success (this is not always the case) but got pg the next month. M x

I'd highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility as the charting (body temp, cervical mucus and cervical position) helped me become pregnant with my third after about a year of trying.

I think the problem with ovulation predictor sticks is that they pick up the hormones but don't definitely tell you if you have ovulated. The only way to tell is by monitoring the minute temperature rise that occurs when ovulating - you need to monitor and record it to pick up the pattern. The book also explains other possible reasons for not getting pregnant (it could possibly be your partners sperm, etc.).

I also had 2 or 3 sessions of reflexology with the lovely Charlotte Allocca before I became pregnant - http://www.touchtherapy.co/

Just to second what everyone else is saying. Our second didn't take ages, but it was a few months longer than the first and I was starting to get worried. I used the ovulation kits and was actually way off with my date predictions. Apparently very common after you have had one and it can easily mess up your cycle, even month to month. I got pregnant the first month of using them. Also that month had three sessions of relexology with the lovely Francine at the Therapy Rooms. Good luck.

Hi blackkat. I'm a Reflexologist based at Goose Green Clinic (www.goosegreenclinic.net). I use reflexology to support clients in fertility, and to offer some time in which they can really relax - really important when trying for a baby. You can find my contact details on the Goose Green Clinic website plus more information about me. Best wishes, Debbie

Sometimes the key to the problem is just one word - "trying".

I, and some of my friends, have found that once we decided to stop trying, and concentrated instead on getting on with our lives, number two happened - at a very inconvenient time, of course.

Has anyone tried temping? Taking your temperature each morning allows you to pin-point ovulation. I used this method along with ovulation predictor sticks and got pregnant within 2 months. www.fertilityfriend.com helped me track my temperature so that I could learn my body's pattern. This is only a solution if 'catching the egg' is the problem but certainly a good way to know your body's rhythm.

Good luck to all. x

Hello All

Thank you Mfichardt for the mention. I do indeed offer Reiki treatments from my home in Ivydale Rd, and I offer a mobile service too. You can see much more about me on my website:

http://www.eastdulwichreiki.com/

Fertility can be such a struggle for some of us, no complimentary or traditional form of medicine can offer any guarantees. However, what Reiki can do is provide a support, a relaxed state for the body to be in the best place possible for the magic of conception to occur. Whatever a women's specific journey may be, Reiki can always balance and enhance our state of being.

Do get in touch if you'd like to discuss further, or find out if Reiki feels right for you.

Have a lovely day, Anja (07834 555310)

East Dulwich Reiki, 369 Ivydale Road, London SE15 3ED