New Polish Restaurant Brilliant

jobby1

We went to the new Polish restaurant on Dartmouth Road near Forest Hill Pools.

It?s called Edyta?s and the food was FANTASTIC! It doesn?t look like much from outside but we?d heard good things and decided to give it a try. We had fried dumplings, a big lamb, some unusual chicken pie which was made with pancakes rather than pastry, they even turned a standard grilled veg side into a to-die-for dish.

Portions were big, service impeccable and it only came to ?27 for 3 of us with mains and sides, we couldn?t believe it.

It?s BYOB and well worth a visit. We?re going back next week!

Not one to let a new restaurant go untried, especially one with such good reviews, both here on the forum and on Yell, I dragged my husband along last night to have a meal. We were certainly not disappointed. Family business, very friendly, seems very kid friendly too. Interesting use of space to accommodate the kitchen under the dining area (a more powerful extract might be an idea).

The menu was ambitiously lenghthy and took us a while to choose. We decided to go tapas style and went for dumplings, beetroot soup with dumplings (when in Poland....), potato salad with herring (sadly the home smoked fish was finished - something to try next time), and beans with a tomato sauce and polish sausage. We had expected to choose a few more later, but the portions were much larger than we had anticipated, so we didn't. All delicious. My favourite, to my surprise, was the herring dish.

It's bring your own bottle, so the bill only came to ?20! Heartily recommend Edyta's. I wish them well.

• 2 weeks later...
We had a great meal at Edyta's last night - insane that somewhere this good and this cheap wasn't packed on a Saturday night. It's not particularly enticing from the outside and the decor is far from fancy but everything we ate was packed with flavour, cooked to perfection and the service was charming. Delicious herring with potato salad, meltingly tender pork shank cooked in beer and honey with a side of grilled vegetables and fried potatoes, Polish apple pie to die for. It's BYO, so it came to just ?15 per head without service. Great big thumbs up!

Went to Edyta's tonight, after reading about the restaurant on EDF. We were not disappointed! The food was fantastic, all cooked from scratch. We had chicken roulade with spinach, fried potatoes, roasted salmon with cooked potatoes, dumplings, another main with sausage & bacon, a beautiful tomato soup with noodles, carrot salad, polish apple pie. For 5 of us the bill came to ?42. We brought our own wine, so just drinks for the children. Service is very, very friendly. We'll certainly go back.

• 3 months later...

After reading all this praise, we went to Edyta's last night. At 7.30 on a Friday (we had booked)it was empty.

3 more couples came in shortly after us. No one else.

We selected 2 starters and 2 mains from the menu. The starters being soup and smoked fish. We then waited 50 minutes to be served. The other diners were served shortly before us, and when our orders arrived, my soup came at the same time as my main course and my husband's main course. His starter was forgotten, and we had waited so long we didn't mention it, as the man who served us had little English. I had to tell him to take my main course back until I'd finished my soup.

The meal itself was underwhelming, and my husband's main course was not hot enough, as though it had been waiting somewhere. We felt maybe some Fawlty Towers episode had occurred in the kitchen, as we couldn't work out how a soup and a smoked fish starter could have taken fifty minutes to arrive.

Yes it was inexpensive, but we were very disappointed. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes, we had a very similar experience about three weeks ago. The restaurant was almost empty, on a Saturday night, but service was incredibly slow and not exactly welcoming. As dds29 above said, the man who took our order could barely speak English, and was unable to explain what a couple of the dishes were. The food was OK, but overall the meal was disappointing. Everything we had was bland, plain, and completely unmemorable, to the point where I've forgotten the main course I chose. My husband ordered the Polish meatballs, expecting, not unreasonably as the menu referred to them in the plural, that he might get more than one, but a solitary, albeit quite large, meatball turned up. None of the portions were large and our meals really weren't well presented. The meal was cheap, but was so bland and uninteresting that I think it was very poor value for money. I would be very reluctant to return.

It's a shame you have both had bad experiences, I found the food good and plentiful, and although admittedly the service was slightly haphazard, it was very friendly. Maybe they are becoming too popular. Do they still have such a long menu? It may be time to cut the choice and focus on the most popular dishes.