East Dulwich Curry

I'd recommend Tandoori Nights. Had two very good meals there recently and the owner is very kind and attentive.

You might also want to check out the food hygiene ratings based on recent FSA inspections - some do much better than others...

In ascending price order:

Dulwich Tandoori - best "old school" curry house IMO

Tandoori Nights - a slightly more refined version of the classic curry house

Ganapati - south Indian, home cooking style

Babur - fancy/modern take on Indian food

All offer something a bit different.

BeeGee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd recommend Tandoori Nights. Had two very good

> meals there recently and the owner is very kind

> and attentive.

>

xxxxxx

Sorry, but Tandoori Nights is absolutely rubbish.

Food and service both.

You must have been extremely lucky.

Being a regular of the Curry Club I declined the last visit to Tandoori Nights due to the previous

dreadful food and service we had there.

I had previously had poor food there some time back after a few good meals when it first opened.

Whilst The Curry Club organiser Michel P. said that the food on the night had improved, in my opinion

for what its worth, is that Tandoori Nights is consistent in being inconsistent when it comes to food quality.

DulwichFox

Have not heard anyone mention Curry Cabin! Maybe for good reason. I do not venture out for too many curries in Dulwich but have been there a number of times recently. I would say the food is ok but the staff and d?cor take a bit of consideration. D?cor could be ok in a quirky kind of way (looks like it has not been touched since the 1980s but the staff are a bit too high pressure. They seem to rush you and at times it feels like you are a massive inconvenience to them. Admittedly we tend to turn up a little late in the evening (9ish 10ish) but if they have a big neon sign indicating that it is open and they do not tell us then they can hardly complain! They all stare at your every move (around 8 of them at times) which is a little awkward. I have learnt to just ignore them but it can be irritating at times!!!

• 1 month later...

Tandoori Nights was indeed back on form. I wonder whether the glitch in quality coincided with a time when the Manager wasn't around for a period of time? I also find that the place is not expensive as some claim.

Curry Club was started to answer the often answered question - "Which one is best?". The considered answer is, after 7+ years of monthly curries, none of them really. It is a matter of personal taste.

Each has its own champions and critics, I cant state categorically which is best. I can say that at the moment, I particularly like:

Dulwich Tandoori

Jaflong

Surma

Mirash

Tandoori Nights

Go to any of those and you will have a good meal. Having said that, go to any of the others and you will have a good meal, probably. It depends what you like.

It is true that some have suffered from being inconsistent, usually due to staff change over. Lets not forget that its not too long ago that Jaflong took a dip in quality, again because of staff upheaval. The place is now back in its stride.

Veer Zara I am afraid have not impressed me, I have eaten there 4 times since they opened, each time I found the food to heavily salted and with a rather obvious curry powder taste. I will go back at some point as places have to be given a chance to show progress and improvement.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> BeeGee Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'd recommend Tandoori Nights. Had two very

> good

> > meals there recently and the owner is very kind

> > and attentive.

> >

>

> xxxxxx

>

> Sorry, but Tandoori Nights is absolutely rubbish.

>

> Food and service both.

>

> You must have been extremely lucky.

Same with Dulwich Tandoori. Awful service & food cold. Takeaway even worse, cannot get an order right.

It's a shame it's not the same place it once was. We wouldn't recommend to anyone I'm afraid.

Jeremy's list was in ascending price order. I am a fan of ganapati and babur on taste, both great. Ganapati I find has plenty of chilli heat in most dishes whereas Babur has hot and mild options, if that is a consideration.