Has the Cherry Tree re-opened as a gay bar?

pixie_jem

I was just flicking through a copy of Boys magazine at work (I work for an LGBT charity) and I came across an ad for the Cherry tree advertising it's re-opening. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about this? Seems unlikely given who the owner is but it was there as clear as day.

Witnessing this reincarnation and the effect on the regulars would be about the only thing that would tempt me back in there (or missing my train and having more than 15 minutes to wait - I am fickle like that).

Gary in a cod-piece - don't bear thinking about.

It says "you can even rent a room here to stay over."

Have they turned into a gay hotel as well?

And the opening party was on 5 April? Three weeks ago?

Ah, hang on - when exactly was this published? 1 April?

:)) :)) :))

ETA: Or perhaps not - I see they have CandySlaginDrag coming (sorry poor choice of words) on 24 May. And that was posted on their Facebook page on 22 April.

Oh dear oh dear.

It's not just those nights, there's also the monthly phsycic night, weekly student night (not sure where the students will come from), piano night, karaoke night, the list is endless.

Obviously an attempt to make it an entertainment venue. I guess it's filling a gap in the market.

I know DJ/Singer Jason Prince who headlined their opening event. Keen to support I phoned the bar and was told he'd be on around 10/10.30 pm. Think I turned up around 10.40, didn't get the advertised "free drink",but got a slightly surly service after I asked about the two different ciders on offer and then found out JP wasn't coming on till after midnight.

Yes, think it is now gay/gay friendly, but may be the service is just as bad as when it was a "straight bar" (having read previous posts on the venue).

• 2 weeks later...

tayzar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, think it is now gay/gay friendly, but may be

> the service is just as bad as when it was a

> "straight bar" (having read previous posts on the

> venue).

Friendly to anyone at all would be a huge change.