Re: Scammer CCTV

NickT

This afternoon a guy rang my bell offering to remove some rubbish from my front garden for a couple of quid, he said he was clearing stuff from up the road. I paid him ?2.50 to take some cardboard as I was keen to get rid of it before it got soaked and soggy etc. Turns out he just dumped it on the street around the corner. Not sure what he would have done if I hadn't been in when he rang, maybe the rubbish thing was just a charade when I turned out to be in.

Anyway here's a still from my CCTV and a link to the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7hbujzvpmqg2mr/cctv.mov

The most traumatic part of the whole incident was seeing my developing bald spot from an elevated camera position ;-)

On a related note I have registered a neighbourhood watch scheme in Silvester Rd, currently I'm the only lonely member so if you live in the street, do sign up here > http://www.ourwatch.org.uk

No dimples, he didn't pick up those missed bits but I went back in and was working for a while before I checked, that's what made me check round the corner and discover the rest of it.

The CCTV camera I use is very cheap indeed but I've been impressed with the results, it's very simillar in spec and look to this one > http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNLUXY?-Waterproof-Outdoor-Surveillance-Security/dp/B00B22RIY6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1390069374&sr=8-13&keywords=cctv+camera

singalto I will do some recruiting when I have a free evening, might even get to know all the neighbours!

It records to a mini sd memory card so has to be mounted high up so it can't be tampered with. It produces small .AVI files which open without any software on PC's and Macs I believe. It is a basic one but pretty effective.

Such clear CCTV, very impressive - and your caller rolled-up as though he owned the place. Does the SD card continuously record, as it doesn't appear to be sensor operated? I think we all want to know how it connects and works!

Rolo1 the camera records continuously and stores several days at a time. It requires mains power, I drilled a hole through the upstairs window frame to accommodate the power cable. It also has a monitor cable for a small monitor for live viewing but I don't use this facility. The camera has Infra red lights for night vision which actually appear red after dark and provides perfectly viewable footage.

It's still in my front garden, why, do you want it?

jamescpr90 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Interesting info about the camera. What did you do

> with your rubbish that was dumped by the

> unlicensed collecter that you paid and used?

KidKruger Wrote:

> a bit harsh - being scammed does not automatically

> lay fault with the victim !

> next time NickT will know different, but he was

> hardly irresponsible.

> the perpetrator was the responsible player.

there's always one contrarian...

Oh I see, it's my fault..are you one of those people that think it's a girls fault if she gets raped because she wore a short dress etc. I thought you were just a media invention but you actually exist!

Not a very promising 1st day on the forum James.

jamescpr90 Wrote:

> No mate , just behave a bit more resposibly next

> time . The local authority provides an excellent

> service.

Why pay to have someone take away rubbish. ? If you do, you are personably responsible to make

sure it is disposed of responsibly. and that they are licensed to do so.

You could be fined yourself if fly tipped rubbish is traced back to your address.

Usually if you leave cardboard out on your collection day the refuge collection teams will take it away for free.

I understand it is not a good idea to leave some packaging outside your home.

It may well advertise you have just purchased a New TV or Computer..

Foxy.

NickT Wrote:

> It records to a mini sd memory card so has to be

> mounted high up so it can't be tampered with. It

> produces small .AVI files which open without any

> software on PC's and Macs I believe. It is a basic

> one but pretty effective.

Thanks for sharing this, NickT.

The amazon links don't show any stand-alone cameras, with built-in memory card facilities like you describe. Any pointers?

purplehaze I can see that my rape comparison might offend for which I apologise but I do fail to see how being attacked or stollen from or swindled can be ones own fault. There's another thread on the forum about a guy who was mugged at knife point on Peckham Rye last night, you could say he was stupid to cross the park in the dark but I maintain it is the guy with the knife who was wrong.