Peckham Rye lido

pink fringe

I don't think planning permission would ever be granted.

To be a financial success 100's of people would need to use it.

To have 100's of people converging on one of the areas most dangerous junctions

does not sound like a good idea.

Brockwell Lido on a hot summers day has 100's of people queuing but has the space to accommodate them.

Back in the day Brockwell Lido was always the more popular venue.

If the a new Peckham Lido were to be built it would need to include sun bathing areas and cafeteria facilities.

I do not think there is enough available space to accommodate them. There is no space for parking whereas

Brockwell Park Lido does have parking facilities.

With swimming facilities available on East Dulwich Rd. and Peckham Pulse I doubt if the funds to build

a new lido would ever be granted.

DulwichFox

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dulwich Fox doesn't think something will work....

> shocking!

Do you think it would work. ? Would you invest your money in such a project.

My reasoning is ruled my head not my heart.

Why did the original lido close.

No one used it.. ? I used a couple of times in the 60's

Fell into disrepair. The bottom of the pool was cracked. Subsidence ??

I seem to remember there are geological problems with there being a subterranean River the River Peck

that runs below the site of the old lido.

With a rising table such things need to be considered.

So before you start knocking Old Foxy (That is so last year.)

Why don't you lay down some positive and practical ideas to support such a project.

You know with sensible reasoning. Financial benefits for the area.

DulwichFox

Fair enough. There is a lot of that on the other thread so I have nothing original to add but I think additional swimming facilities in London more broadly will have health benefits. Recreational facilities for public use, particularly those that encourage physical activity should be developed assuming its feasible.

While Lido's may have fallen out of favour at one point, they are becoming increasingly popular. Many (including me) are put off going to Brockwell Lido because of the long lines and so it appears locally there is plenty of demand to have two Lido options. Cinemas also closed down a few decades ago and due to changing public tastes have started to re-open all across London (including here)!

I don't think it will work either. Lidos are notoriously difficult to manage and finance. They can only be used for a few weeks of the year (except for a hardcore of swimmers) The one in Brockwell has had a very difficult history and only really makes money now as they invested a lot in the Gym and cafe and sell membership. There is not the room on that section of the Rye for an accompanying cafe and gym.

Nice idea but i would prefer the council spend moeny on other much needed things in the local area.

This is such a brilliant idea - could it be heated in winter like London Fields ? If there is a need for more space there could be a tunnel under East Dulwich Road and make use of the lower end of Peckham Rye itself. Maybe it could be linked to the regeneration of the Station area somehow. This is the best idea for ages !!!

London Fields works brilliantly and heated all year.

but Charlton is grim

Covent Garden excellent but short,

Brockwell freezing

Hampton, very pleasant, heated all year

not swum at Tooting or Gospel Oak or Crouch End outdoors (the indoor pool is best avoided)

it is a shame there is not a large outdoor pool for year-round use somewhere in the borough

I didn't know it existed, but OH remembers it quite well. He used it lots with his friends and remembers going in through the entrance (now a nursery) and having a good time. He remembers the lockers were all around the pool but there wasn't room to lie about like at Brockwell.

My Dad used Brockwell for many years (have a photo of him at Brockwell in the 1940s) and we used to go as a family but I always found it too big and busy.

Missbabs, have you been to Charlton lido recently - it has had a big refurbishment and I think it's great.

missbabs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> London Fields works brilliantly and heated all

> year.

> but Charlton is grim

> Covent Garden excellent but short,

> Brockwell freezing

> Hampton, very pleasant, heated all year

> not swum at Tooting or Gospel Oak or Crouch End

> outdoors (the indoor pool is best avoided)

>

>

> it is a shame there is not a large outdoor pool

> for year-round use somewhere in the borough