Denmark Hill closed Fri 13 Feb to Mon 16 Feb

Denmark Hill will be closed for crane work for the new King's College Hospital helipad from 8pm Fri 13 February to 5am Monday 16 February.

The new helipad should really help speed up patients treatment.

Please see attached leaflet.

Pavement access will still stay open - so cyclists should be fine as well.

The diversion are very long. Avoid the area. Bus journeys will be much longer - even buses such as no.12 are likely to take longer with diverted traffic.

It is on TFL but only if you go to status page, amend drop down to bus, change date and put in an affected bus number. It doesn't seem to take account of it if you try to plan a journey - it's still telling me to get on a bus at Denmark Hill on Saturday morning even though stop will be closed.

It says buses not serving stops between Camberwell Church St and East Dulwich Road.

It does also list it as being 2000 Fri 13th to 0500 Mon 23rd (nightly - weekend only) but assuming the later end date is only if weather prevents work this weekend.

There is a sleeve on the bus stop sign at Denmark Hill explaining that the stop is shut on certain days, and to read the literature attached to the post.

Didn't read the detail, mind, as was about to hop on a bus, but the fact that it'll be shut seems to imply that the diversion will cut out Champion Hill entirely.

Hi MarkE,

I'm pretyy sure Cahampion Hill, Dog Kennel Hill will be cut out from bus routes and buses diverted via Peckham.

The otherside would see Denmark Hill cut out and buses diverted via Brixton.

It has the potential for a mega traffic nightmare.

At least all the local timetabled trains appear to be planned to run Sat & Sun.

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am impressed that a helipad can be constructed

> in just one weekend.

This weekend is just for the erection of a tower crane that will facilitate the construction of the helipad.

Doubtless at some stage in the future, once the construction is complete, there'll be a further road closure in order that the tower crane can be dismantled.

youre right Ladygooner I misread the National timetable thingy. How stupid to not coordiante closing such a major road with when train routes are closed.

I'll ask council officials why they've allowed this to happen and what they plan to do to stop future occurences.

Many thanks for putting me right.

Great news that King's will get a helipad but I'll miss the helicopter landing in Ruskin Park. My son loved it (me too I'll admit). The regular pilot had nice skills and if he was leaving without a patient he'd often do some neat moves during take off; even if they appeared unnecessary to the untrained eye.

I hope the choppers still approach the helipad from the park - think of the kids, eh?

Er.. and shocking business about the disruption etc etc

dogfenneldill Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Er.. and shocking business about the disruption

> etc etc

Not sure if that is a nice bit of sarcasm there (hoping!) - if not, oh come now, one weekend of PLANNED disruption on something that is essential. Such closures for cranes happen all the time in other areas blocking off roads, putting buses on diversion etc. Inconvenient - yes. End of the world - no.