Threshers

creeder

Woohoo!

Last time I used that place was last Christmas. They had an offer advertised outside the shop for Champagne. I went in to buy about 4 bottles and they would not honour the offer, even for one bottle.

Seemed like a bunch of Chavs managing the place and don't think they could tell a Cava from a Laga in any case, so I personally won't be sad to see it go.

I use Virgin Wines online and for the odd beer etc, I'll use my local off-licence on East Dulwich Road.

Nicolas (sp?) looks pretty good though, although I've not been in there for a while. Also Green and Blue have a great selection of wines.

They always have my favourite wine in stock and the three for two offers. Not a mad fan or French wine and I thought Bossman wines was horrible. Tesco's and Sommerfield are sometimes OK, I will try Green and Black, always thought it would be horrendously expensive, thanks

To make up for their 3 for 2 offer their wines have gone up and up in price, and similar wines can be got in Sainsburys for considerably less. Their choice was pretty bland too. If you go to Nicolas and buy non Nicolas branded wines you can get some good bargains, and there is also Oddbins in the village and a Magestic Wine Warehouse near West Dulwich which deliver. For something more special both Green and Blue and the East Dulwich Deli have some good choices.

There are several wines around 6.50-7 pound mark in Green & Blue. And you can be pretty sure they are a lot better than any supermarket wine at that price. They are clearly carefully chosen, not lowest common denominator. Take a look at the table wines there: they are worth checking out.

Also many lovely wines in the 8-13 pound range if you can spend a bit more.

What you won't find there is industrial plonk on fake special offers. Not worth buying, not worth drinking.

wine is such a personal thing though, i have usually enjoyed the wine at green and blue but MrClive3300 is not the hugest fan and he can spend considerable amounts on wine. The lovely Ms CamberwellOz might have some recommendations if you ask her nicely.... mmmm chablis.....

The *Bob* wine plan:

Over the course of a year, order one decent case of wine from each of the big online wine suppliers. Your first case will, of course, be heavily discounted.

After about six months, the supplier you ordered your first case from will be wondering why you haven't ordered any more and will start sending you discount vouchers - usually incremental.. ?10 off, then ?20 off. Wait until they offer you ?40 off a case, then buy. Soon you'll be getting pleading discount vouchers from all of them. You'll be spoilt for choice and quids-in.

And I'm glad Thresher is shutting. Their selection of wine was dull as dishwater, always marked-up a third to cover their '3 for two offer' and if you're wanting to pay with a card you'd best take a book in with you.

My latest crate was bought direct from the vine yards in Croatia. I'm a big SA wine fan (of which you'll find a few in G&B, given the owner is South African!), but this stuff isn't bad actually.

Isn't Freshers next door to Tivoli amusements? Perhaps they are knocking through for the new proposed bar? Or many my LL geography has gone to pot...

definitely recommend a wander over to oddbins at the moment. they've got 30% off a selection of wines which i understand from another forum is because theyve been taken over by a new company and they're selling off (well 30%) stock which they'll no longer be buying.

there's one in dulwich village (just past the greyhound pub). the 30% has been live for about 2 weeks now so choice may be a little more limited. The one in the village seems to have some older vintages (such a w&*?ky word) which has been a bonus with a couple of purchases.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wine's shite - stick to beer, Stella ?5 for six at

> many a late night offie, thank me later

Stella is ?5 for six at every offie.. and the ad-men spent spent all those years telling us it was 'reassuringly expensive'

I would really like to know why that is. 5 years ago a pint of larger in a pub was about ?2.50 maximum and 6 cans in a shop were ?5. Today a pint is ?3.50 upwards and 6 cans in a shop are still ?5.

Something is going on there and whatever it is I don?t like it.

Same product (beer) aimed at two separate markets. Companies will do all they can to milk the most they possibly can - a similar reason you can pay to add silly flavours to your coffee at Starbucks. There are those that will always look for the cheapest (cans), but also those that are happy and able to pay more (ie, those going to nice bars or even buying the more fashionable bottles). This lower end of the range is competing in a more competitive market though in which supermarkets have been continuously pushing prices down. There are also many more imported beers these days. Remember, the brewery companies still own most of the bars and pubs, so it's more of a monopoly on the draft lagers etc, hence prices have moved up.

It's interesting stuff though and I'm sure there are many more factors at play and other examples such as this.