New Ward Boundaries...proposed...

Otto

As I have said on Mr Barber's thread, it is the two new wards together (Goose Green and Dulwich Hill) which constitute now the vast majority of what most people posting here would recognise as East Dulwich. Calling just one of them East Dulwich might reasonably exasperate the other. We already have confusion when Mr Barber says he has made something available for those in East Dulwich when he actually means in the ward by that name which he represents. As ED is a concept, rather than a geophysical reality I find it helpful that there might in future not be an electoral ward with that name, laying claim to the metaphysical fame which the belongs to the wider ED concept. 'Dulwich Hill' is of course an invention out of whole cloth (which Goose Green isn't) but it is, at least, a little hilly in parts, and more so than the remainder of (metaphysical) East Dulwich.

Going by the map, it appears Overhill Road will be split between the new Dulwich Hill Ward and the shortened College Ward which becomes Dulwich Wood Ward.

It still means that residents at the Grove end of Lordship Lane will share ward councillors with people who live in West Dulwich and the Kingswood Estate, rather than those who represent ED.

it appears Overhill Road will be split between the new Dulwich Hill Ward and the shortened College Ward which becomes Dulwich Wood Ward.

I suspect this must be a population issue, as the 'obvious' shared interest boundary of Dulwich Hill ward would be to follow the A216/A205 to the Lewisham border - thus putting everything North of the Lordship lane/ South circular/ London Road route into the two 'ED' wards. This is an obvious community of interest.

I will be suggesting that East Dulwich ward remain with the name East Dulwich ward as it forms the bulk of the East Dulwich area.

Seems odd changes to boundaries but keeping the heart of East Dulwich called East Dulwich to me is preferable than creating a new name few will associate with.

Dulwich Hills historically was the area around Sunray Avenue. I will propose that the name East Dulwich Hills be used.

Not sure why those new odd names suggested.

Goose green ward is a bit silly though. Goose green is esentially a dog run bordered by a dual carriage way. It's not the heart of the ward.

I like Mr Barber's suggestions.

It also strikes me that they must have done a pretty good job for once if the only complaint is the name of the wards!

I have never understood why College Ward would not end at Lordship Lane and any re-drawing of boundaries would seem a good opportunity to sort this out - more sensible to have the whole of Underhill, Belvoir, Melford and Wood Vale in the same ward rather than dividing them as at present.

I will be suggesting that East Dulwich ward remain with the name East Dulwich ward as it forms the bulk of the East Dulwich area.

Actually, I would think that the two wards proposed of Goose Green and Dulwich Hills together cover what I would see as East Dulwich as an area - so the new Goose Green would actually form about half, not the bulk, of East Dulwich. Together they form almost all of the postal district SE22, for instance. http://www.postcodearea.co.uk/postaltowns/london/se22/