Dulwich's Leading Independant Agent (and other typos)

Vince

The "Property in Dulwich" Estate Agent in LL has a massive new sign in its window. It is, apparently, "Dulwich's Leading Independant Agent". I wouldn't mind so much if it was hand written, but it's an enormous vinyl sign, maybe 4 feet across. The artwork would've been typed up on a computer. It would've been approved by a manager. The people in the factory would've received the job and examined it before printing. Do none of these people have spellcheck?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> I can hear several correspondants' blood-vessels

> popping as they read that.

>

> Given that their job entails contracts and close

> examiniation of same, "seeing what people mean"

> doesn't seem enough I would argue.

Point taken, but I thought the solicitors dealt with drawing up contracts and the like? I wouldn't expect an estate agent to know what constitutes a contract let alone the contents.

Big signs like that which are misspelled just serve to perpetuate incorrect spelling.

As per Muttley's ironic posting earlier, the amount of people who misspell definitely is remarkable. Maybe in future the word will evolve to be spelled 'definately' as a natural progression.

It reminds me of the shop Micheal Leigh on Walworth Road. The name has been above the shop in volid red and yellow for 20 odd years as far as I know. Unless the owner is actually Spanish, possible I suppose.

As I'm sure you'll recall, Independant was one of the words that cropped up in the EDF Scrabble game I observed in a pub last year. I've just added "Volid" Asset, nice word.

I N D E P E N D A N T

.......E....................E

C A F E N E R O.....I

.......I...........A........G

.......N...........Y........H

.......A...........L........B

.......T........M O X T O N S

.......E...........N........R

..............................H

..............................O

..............................O

....................V O L I D

Many florists don't seem to be able to spell the names of what they sell - I think it's one of the things you have to demonstrate to pass floristry exams, an inability to spell (actually I know this is a lie, I used to teach student florists plant idents, the poor things had to know all the Latin names :) )

Edited to change spell to sell :)

Many thanks to Property in Dulwich who have replaced their sign with one that is spelt correctly. They are now officially "Dulwich's Leading Independent Agent"! Good on them.

The East Dulwich Forum has the power to change East Dulwich! A bit.

Vince

Maybe "stationary" is a kind of glue that stops you from moving when touched, a type of superglue :)

Jennys Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mary Russell newsagents at Herne Hill on Half Moon

> Lane sells "Stationary" accord to their painted

> sign across the front..