Venue suggestions for club night in ED

Hello there - newcomer to the forum.

I'm wanting to start up a club night in East Dulwich, of a fairly indie persuasion. Can anyone suggest possible venues (i.e. local pubs around Lordship Lane) that might be good for this sort of thing?

The EDT has it's own nights on Fridays and Saturdays, so I guess that's no good.

Thanks!

benjaminty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What night of the week are you looking at? Or

> whatever you can get? And how late?

Fridays or Saturdays preferably. Anywhere that might let us keep going until 2ish would be good.

these are technically Nunhead but are still pretty close to ED, the Nun's Head has a room upstairs and equipment, also the Ivy House hires their big room out for free but i'm not sure if they have PA and decks.

or the dulwich constitutional hall (i think that's the name) on East Dulwich Road towards the hospital. not been there personally but have heard it's a decent space

carolyn Wrote:

> these are technically Nunhead but are still pretty

> close to ED, the Nun's Head has a room upstairs

> and equipment, also the Ivy House hires their big

> room out for free but i'm not sure if they have PA

> and decks.

>

> or the dulwich constitutional hall (i think that's

> the name) on East Dulwich Road towards the

> hospital. not been there personally but have

> heard it's a decent space

Thanks. Sounds interesting, am googling the hall but can't find a website!

jaybee82 Wrote:

> Ive wanted to do this for ages and would be up for

> helping out if needed.

Cheers! Yeah, only moved to the area recently and I can't seem to find much in the way of indie nights around here.

DHFC has a largish room and a bar which will stay open as long as you want, 3.30am has been about our latest. Bar prices are lower than the pubs round ED. There's also a full sound system there and you will probably get the room for free.

You need to do some work (lighting etc) to change the vibe for your evening, but it can be done!

It's next to Sainsbury's on Dog Kennel Hill - everyone said no-one would come up there because it wasn't on the main drag, but we've had around 250 people at some of our Goose gigs there.

Some of the other places people have suggested may be too small for what you're after?

The person to speak to is Davide at [email protected].

Good luck wherever you end up! Great to see others bringing music to the area!

Edited to say: I believe the Constitutional Hall will charge you both for the venue and the bar, plus only had Monday nights available last time we enquired, admittedly last year.

Edited again to say: The Ivy House is a great space, but is a bloody long haul from East Dulwich, at least the bit I live in, and public transport to it is scarce. However I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms!!

It's not East Dulwich in the slightest but The Montague down by New Cross has stage and decks and is an utterly ace venue - it would be a real shame if they closed so always encourage someone thinking of starting something up in the area to bear them in mind...

Page 2 or whatever they're calling it across the Rye is probably fairly desperate for custom at the moment, what with everyone unsure if it's still a rubbish tapas bar / souless gastropub.

They used to do the odd 'club' event in there a few years ago which were always busy, if not my cup of tea.

Right now they have some guy blasting bad house records out the back to an empty room on Saturdays.

I'm sure a more interesting-sounding proposition would probably make their ears prick up - and they'd probably get on board with promoting it as the place is still dead as ever.

lenk Wrote:

> Page 2 or whatever they're calling it across the

> Rye is probably fairly desperate for custom at the

> moment, what with everyone unsure if it's still a

> rubbish tapas bar / souless gastropub.

>

> They used to do the odd 'club' event in there a

> few years ago which were always busy, if not my

> cup of tea.

>

> Right now they have some guy blasting bad house

> records out the back to an empty room on

> Saturdays.

>

> I'm sure a more interesting-sounding proposition

> would probably make their ears prick up - and

> they'd probably get on board with promoting it as

> the place is still dead as ever.

xxxxxxx

Nothing they've ever tried there has worked.

People won't make the effort to go that far imo, unless they happen to live nearby.

Dan Maitland ran great nights there in the old Page 2 days, but attendance dwindled, including mine. A trek across the Rye (and then back) on a dark wet cold night is just not appealing in the same way as a shortish walk within ED.

Shame, because that space out the back used to be great. Don't know what they've done to it now though, lost track of all the changes to that pub.

Sue Wrote:

> lenk Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Page 2 or whatever they're calling it across

> the

> > Rye is probably fairly desperate for custom at

> the

> > moment, what with everyone unsure if it's still

> a

> > rubbish tapas bar / souless gastropub.

> >

> > They used to do the odd 'club' event in there a

> > few years ago which were always busy, if not my

> > cup of tea.

> >

> > Right now they have some guy blasting bad house

> > records out the back to an empty room on

> > Saturdays.

> >

> > I'm sure a more interesting-sounding

> proposition

> > would probably make their ears prick up - and

> > they'd probably get on board with promoting it

> as

> > the place is still dead as ever.

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Nothing they've ever tried there has worked.

>

> People won't make the effort to go that far imo,

> unless they happen to live nearby.

>

> Dan Maitland ran great nights there in the old

> Page 2 days, but attendance dwindled, including

> mine. A trek across the Rye (and then back) on a

> dark wet cold night is just not appealing in the

> same way as a shortish walk within ED.

>

> Shame, because that space out the back used to be

> great. Don't know what they've done to it now

> though, lost track of all the changes to that pub.

Last time I was in it had been turned into a wannabe gastropub dining room.

They were doing roasts on a Sunday, but the vegetatian option was a pasta bake. Fail.

I hear rumours of a 'big screen' having been put in there for version 6.4 of whatever-they're-calling-it-now.

I don't think ED really has anywhere that great for an indie night to work, personally I'd look to the venues of New Cross, Brixton or Camberwell if you're wanting somewhere with the full setup already in place.

Like there are venues with decks, like Liquorish, but I don't see them going for indie, it's more house and such in there.

If you?re set on it being in ED, Indie nights in the CPT would be good. They may also be more receptive to the idea than the ones on the high street that cater for the Friday night raz crowds.

I think you will have the clientele around here.

Are there any working men's clubs in ED?

They're often receptive to suggestions as their attendances have slumped (look at Bethnal Grn WMC) - often have perfectly passable function rooms to use for raves...