Works afoot at The Castle

As far as I know it'll be closed for about four weeks for redecoration, but it is under the same management and they're not planning major changes, just a freshen-up. As Bredan says, everywhere needs a lick of paint every now and then.

Pretty sure it was originally red!

I think the place has bags of potential - and I'm sure there's plenty of demand for a decent trad pub, it doesn't need to go "the way of the others" and start serving seared tuna or couscous. It's a decent size and the building could look great with a a little TLC (as the estate agents say).

Jeremy, it's clearly popular as it's usually busy in the evenings and weekends, so yes, there's a demand.

And as I said, as far as I know it's just redecoration, not a seared tuna and couscous invasion.

Its also the closest pub to me too Clare - it is friendly but there tend to be more people outside smoking than inside.

I'd be more than pleased to see it have a complete refurb as it would be a good stop off on the too long walk down from my house to LL - I do however feel for anyone who is a "local" and would have to move pubs - there are few left for them to go to now, they seem to go to the Castle.

I love the Castle. I got locked out the house a few months ago and as it's only a few doors down, me and a mate spent the afternoon in there boozing and playing pool. Only problem was, a JD and coke and a pint of Fosters was only ?3.60 so we left ever so slightly pissed.

Good to hear that, Annasfield - it is veeery easy to spend an afternoon on the pool table with a few cheap beverages :-$

I was in there this evening watching the Millwall game and had a chat with Jenny the landlady. The public bar is staying open for the next 4 weeks or so and after that the whole place is closing for about 6 weeks for a refurb.

All the original fittings, bar, beams etc are staying (and rightly so, it's got a lovely original interior structure), the stage is being moved back some 10 foot or so and the toilets are being knocked down and rebuilt in the yard space. I didn't manage to find out about the rest of it but a lick of paint and a tidy up seem to be the order of the day.

I know the place has a slightly bad name, I think particularly (maybe, in the past?) on this forum, but I really like living nearby and apart from the occasional loud kick out/drunken-couples-having-verbals-in-the-street-episode, it's a trouble free, friendly boozer with excellent Guinness, football on Sky and an interesting mix of locals.

I prefer having people around the area late at night than an empty street, especially when my better half has been working late and is on her way home. If it wasn't there, the area would seem somewhat poorer.

Check it out when it reopens, or maybe even before it closes.