Forum Sponsors

www.hensonsecurity.com

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by nxjen 24 May, 2016 14:57

rahrahrah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A lot of people virtually live in 'active wear'.
> It's not necessarily just for going to the gym in.

Is this what they mean by virtual reality?

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by Louisa 24 May, 2016 15:08

midivydale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having only read part of this thread (lunch break
> nearly up!) and realising that most of you have
> prob moved on weeks ago (need to venture to the
> lounge more often).
>
> I just out of interest wonder about the Sweaty
> Betty/ Space Nk thing. If one is against Sweaty
> Betty as it attracts the coffee drinking, sun
> glass, pram pushing whatever else the description
> was then how is the targeted demographics any
> different for Space NK? Genuine question, please
> explain (not that you have to obv Lou, but as a
> fellow space nk lover I am genuinely interested).
> Having just returned from the Space NK on
> Liverpool St this morning, I genuinely wonder how
> a shop like that can be described as "serving the
> community"?
>
> That argument seems flawed to me that is all, the
> chains of high end somewhat aspiring shops that
> are so detrimental to the community and our area,
> are indeed ok - if they are make up shops??? Or
> because it is a shop that you like?
>
> I fail to see how Space NK would serve the
> community in any other way than Sweaty whats her
> name would.

I am more than happy to take up your points midivydale. Thanks for responding and bringing this thread back on topic.

My concern with Sweaty Betty is that it is appealing to a niche market, as others have pointed out, it's a very lucrative market in colonised neighbourhoods such as ED. The yummies will be queuing up to waste money on outfits for their gym trips and that's upto them, Sweaty Betty are only taking advantage of that business opportunity. But it's not appealing to a wider clientele or demographic. My concern for LL is that the balance of useful shops for everyone against useful shops for a small proportion is the population is becoming unacceptable.

Now, on your point about Space NK, yes they are a higher end chain, but a beauty shop will always appeal to a large section of people across a wide socio demographic population. Even if it's just for a treat once in a while. I am of course partially biased as I have a thing for Body Shop, Lush and Space NK. I do however believe, that they would be a great addition to the area as they would give us somewhere to go that's more mainstream to buy gifts and treats for ourselves and friends. It would be well used, and it would bring the community together in a love of all things beauty. Two very different types of chain which will affect LL in different ways.

Louisa.

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by Help-Ma-Boab 24 May, 2016 16:51

I somehow have Lou more down for a pink Juicy Couture jogger. Ideal leisure wear for a glass of vino in the garden.

Could be wrong.

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by Louisa 24 May, 2016 17:33

You aren't wrong HMB. Pink or a nice off-purple. If it gets chilly in the evening, you can't go wrong with a jogging outfit. Not sure id venture to SB for said items though, I'm more of a TK Maxx kind of girl.

Louisa.

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by LondonMix 25 May, 2016 09:51

Louisa, you are just biased. You don't have to be rich to treat yourself to nice work out close occasionally and you don't have to be rich to treat yourself to nice make up. Its just about spending priorities and personal preference.

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by edcam 25 May, 2016 13:17

Buying pricey nonsense in Space NK is neither better, nor worse for East Dulwich than buying pricey nonsense in Sweaty Betty.

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by midivydale 25 May, 2016 16:29

It is interesting points, all of them.
Lou if you saw me in the street you probably would snigger at my pram pushing(although now more scooter pulling), sunglass clad self. You would most likely NEVER see me without a coffee in hand(or wine if you saw me past 12 noon). Lou, in many ways I look like the person you describe (although I AM the banker, not married to one).

However, looks are deceiving, and provides just a snapshot of someone's life. It does not give you on iota of insight into who that person are. If you saw me on maternity leave the sunglasses would be there because of painful rosacea and lack of sleep (My son did not sleep for 12 mnths, it nearly broke me.) Ditto the constant coffee drink was because, somehow, I just had to get through the day.

I am a "banker" as in work in one, but like so many I fight most days to keep my eyes above water in terms of my financial commitments.

I too, am more of a TK maxx girl than Sweaty whats her name, and I spend more than I should in Space NK. Like you I think it would be a great asset to the community. I am sure my partner would disagree.

What I am getting at is that there are many many of us sunclad, coffee drinking, pram pushing types that care deeply about our community too!

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by Mick Mac 25 May, 2016 16:56

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I somehow have Lou more down for a pink Juicy
> Couture jogger. Ideal leisure wear for a glass of
> vino in the garden.

I can picture Mrs Rab C .....

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by ed_pete December 02, 01:43PM

Not Sweaty Betty but Really !!

[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

and

[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Perhaps I need to combine the two and offer an ethical buggy cleaning service.

messageRe: Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?
Posted by Seabag December 02, 09:30PM

Really, this needs to be retired to the ‘Old Threads Home’

Things have moved on, it’s nearly 2020

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum