Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?

Louisa

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Could be worse.. We could end up with a Subways..

>

> Foxy

Now you're talking Fox

Meatball marinara with cheese on hearty Italian, toasted

And looking out onto the delights of Sydenham Road

We're living the dream

I reckon that whilst there is some correlation between people's general level of 'sense' and their ability to earn money it is loose at best. Plenty of bright people don't earn a lot depending on circumstances and choices they make and there are certainly plenty of fairly dim people in well paid jobs. Could it be that people's level of sense is more or less constant (eroding slightly with age and booze of course) and that the ones that (deservedly or randomly) accumulate wealth remain just as sensible (or stupid) as they always were (rather than becoming stupid) but that their level of dosh over time just increases above their level of sense?

There's also a reasonable argument that when short on time and not short of loot it makes no sense to worry too much about what occasional purchases such as a yoga vest cost.

Don't get me wrong, I think the cost of the yoga vest is madness but then I also think that yoga is madness.

Well I think as wealth increases it 'can' become less important what something costs

A vest for cycling/running/yoga for ?45 or ?75 really isn't judged by the actual cost, it's wether you want it or not, and if you do you'll 'afford' it

And so, once your wealth has been acquired, the way you spend it or not might be different than what you imagined before. Plus you do gain time, in that you stop shopping around and just buy the things you actually want, from the group of shops you've become accustomed to shopping in

It works both ways - why look in Waitrose when your budget is Iceland. A waste of time, is a waste of time

Yep, all of this

Seabag Wrote:

> Well I think as wealth increases it 'can' become

> less important what something costs

>

> A vest for cycling/running/yoga for ?45 or ?75

> really isn't judged by the actual cost, it's

> wether you want it or not, and if you do you'll

> 'afford' it

>

> And so, once your wealth has been acquired, the

> way you spend it or not might be different than

> what you imagined before. Plus you do gain time,

> in that you stop shopping around and just buy the

> things you actually want, from the group of shops

> you've become accustomed to shopping in

>

> It works both ways - why look in Waitrose when

> your budget is Iceland. A waste of time, is a

> waste of time

Louisa Wrote:

> And yet again 'bout now, you use the old chestnut

> of "rinse and repeat", how many times have you

> used that this year so far? If you don't wanna

> contribute then ignore rather than being negative.

>

>

> Louisa.

Am I the one slagging off the my area? Am I the one starting endless threads shitting on(metaphorically speaking) people living in my area? Am I the one taking a local forum down the same old line of supposed class envy?

Am I being Negative? Am I?

I've used the term 3 times, all on threads you've started, for a reason.

Really JohnL?

I'm not surprised. My only question is if its a middle class lefty or someone who is a poor and long standing member of the neighborhood.

The protests in Shoreditch last year didn't feel like a neighborhood uprising.

With that said, people in San Francisco hate the tech kids now and tensions have boiled over into the streets.

LondonMix Wrote:

> With that said, people in San Francisco hate the

> tech kids now and tensions have boiled over into the streets.

Really? "Silicon Valley" has been a thing since the 70s. And we've had 20 years of dot-com startups in the bay area. You'd think they'd be used to it by now.

Yes and no. Silicon Valley used to be in Palo Alto near Stanford. It is near San Fran but not in it. It's had an impact on prices in San Fran for decades but in recent years the tremendous increase in rents and house prices have basically pushed lots of people out of the city who could have happily lived there before. Rents for a studio apartment in many parts of San Fran are in excess of $3,500 a month. Its absolutely insane.

JohnL Wrote:

> On the John The Unicorn this morning.

>

> 'F**k Yuppies' as a tag

>

> Someone isn't happy.

That's a shame. I actually visited 'the Unicorn' for the first time last week and it was OK (probably a bit young for me). It did have a (slightly) mixed crowd in there, although admittedly far more white and middle class than would be reflective of the wider area. It isn't as though Rye Lane is full of 'yuppie bars' though, far from it, so seems like a somewhat intolerant response to me.

Is it really so bad to have a fitness-wear shop? I'd much much rather that than a McDs or another fried chicken shop.

Or is it just that it's 'another expensive' shop? What are the alternatives? What shops do we actually need that we don't have? I can get pretty much anything I need locally as it is. I'd rather attract people with the money to spend in the shops we have than have a high street full of Lidl and Poundland, Topshop and so on. Do we want to be like Lewisham (for example)?

Just because SW is aimed at people who like keeping fit and have money to spend on it doesn't mean it's wrong for the area. It's just different - and a variety is good.