Sweaty Betty - the final nail in the gentrification coffin?

Louisa

I think I we don t want them...and i don t want them here...we just need to be pay attention not to spend money at their shop

there are different places much more convenient around: don t give them your money and wait till they gone..

pato Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> don t give them your money and wait till they gone..

Personally I think it's a bit of a shame that very expensive boutiquey shops are becoming more common in ED. But then again, the kind of people who shop at SB or Questionair might find my objections daft, the same way that some of us find other peoples objections to pizzas or burgers (costing over ?6) daft.

I guess my point is that none of us can claim to "own" the area, no matter how long you've lived here. If enough people like the shop - and can afford it - it will stay. If they don't, it won't Time will tell.

pato Wrote:

> I think I we don t want them...and i don t want

> them here...we just need to be pay attention not

> to spend money at their shop

I didn't realise you'd been appointed as spokesperson for everyone in the SE22 postcode and surrounding environs! Congratulations!

Where else shouldn't 'we' be spending 'our' money?

It is my impression Bob, i might be wrong but talking to people and reading this thread i have got the feeling lots of people don t want them

Of course market will decide and time will tell

If You wanted to spend your money for an expensive kind of thighs ...it s your money...

I am just saying action are more valuable than words if we wanted as less chains as possible. otherwise you are welcome to spend your money there but i wanted to point out that talking won t change anything. if we want them we spend at their shop otherwise we just spend that money somewhere else..

It s my opinion and it is not less or more valuable than yours or anyone else

It reminds me of the Caffe Nero thing. 'Nobody' wanted them either. Big noise, lots of smoke. Don't want their sort. Let's vote with our feet.

Some years later.. Caffe Nero doing just fine. Personally, I've never been in the place, but there it is, other people do. These place do their research before spunking large sums on such ventures.

On the Betty front, these clothes may seem expensive and out of reach to some - I can appreciate that, but let's get realistic here: ?60 or ?70 quid on an item of clothing, whilst not cheap, is not exactly high-end boutique pricing. We're not in Knightsbridge yet, darlings.

Go into any bog standard fashion 'name' chain type clothing retailer and the prices are no different.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> It just makes some people feel better in

> themselves that such shops are on their 'High

> Street'

> whether they can afford them or not.

Have you anything to support this theory Fox or is it what you imagine people to feel?

Come on, Alan - it totally makes sense. Everyone knows that shops with rents in excess of ?50k p/a don't need sales - they can survive simply on the 'good feelings' of people who can't afford them but are glad they're there.

"It reminds me of the Caffe Nero thing. 'Nobody' wanted them either. Big noise, lots of smoke. Don't want their sort. Let's vote with our feet. "

When Caffe Nero opened, I think people felt that local, independent coffee shops might be under threat. I get that, and thankfully it didn't turn out that way. I think Brickhouse, Scala and Aneto have all opened since Nero appeared... But with Sweaty Betty, that angle doesn't exist and it's difficult to see why anyone would get upset by it. It's just a shop opening.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It just makes some people feel better in

> > themselves that such shops are on their 'High

> > Street'

> > whether they can afford them or not.

>

> Have you anything to support this theory Fox or is

> it what you imagine people to feel?

Foxy? With some evidence for his cod-psychology? Behave.

I think most people don't buy expensive things all the time or cheap things all the time.

Most people I'd guess buy reasonably cheaply most of the time and every now and again buy something expensive as a treat. Its not that people necessarily have heaps of money - but when you decide to treat yourself, its nice to have the shops available to do that.

Highly priced shops don't need to shift massive amounts - their margins are obviously higher. Their desirability is partly linked to their affordability/lack of.

People who do lots of exercise are in some cases doing it to look good (and remain healthy) - why shouldn't they want to look good while doing it too.

They will have done their research - no doubt. Chains don't often make the mistakes that independents often do. It will be a success I'm sure.

It s not that I don t want sweaty Betty (just the name it s a put off for m:)) and i want nike shop instead..

I just would like as less chain as possible in ED but of course i am sure there will be people wanting them more and more. Unfortunately market and time will tell..

From my side i miss the ED Deli..

LondonMix Wrote:

> No one shopped at ED Deli and the customer service

> was terrible. The closure was a long time coming

Let's hope their new local venture will be an improvement.

What's wrong with variety - I've lived in ED for 25 years and the small newsagent I buy my paper from (he also sells milk) is still there after all these years. It's not as though Sweaty Betty are opening a department store - it's a small outlet. I love their clothes and the price reflects the quality of their products which are more durable than buying something cheaper which doesn't wash well or keep its shape and I disagree they're bland. So I'll be shopping in there when my budget allows but I'll also go and buy a doner kebab if I fancy one. Just as I'll continue shopping in the Co-op as opposed to M&S - it's all down to choice.

*Bob* Wrote:

> LondonMix Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > No one shopped at ED Deli and the customer

> service

> > was terrible. The closure was a long time

> coming

>

>

> Let's hope their new local venture will be an

> improvement.

Honour Oak is the new E.D *Bob*

And when is Pottager going to open, I'm looking forward to that. What do they do exactly, I haven't a clue. But I'll go there to be seen going there, so I can say "I've been there"

Cassel Wrote:

> What's wrong with variety - I've lived in ED for

> 25 years and the small newsagent I buy my paper

> from (he also sells milk) is still there after all

> these years. It's not as though Sweaty Betty are

> opening a department store - it's a small outlet.

> I love their clothes and the price reflects the

> quality of their products which are more durable

> than buying something cheaper which doesn't wash

> well or keep its shape and I disagree they're

> bland. So I'll be shopping in there when my

> budget allows but I'll also go and buy a doner

> kebab if I fancy one. Just as I'll continue

> shopping in the Co-op as opposed to M&S - it's all

> down to choice.

As far as They will leave us a choice Cassel.. I work in west london Portobello rd since 2005, Use to be eclectic and vibrant full of original shops and new ideas. I remember before (less than 10 yrs ago not some 50 yrs ago) stall owners at the local market use to work hard and were very busy. The best of them, the ones with the best ideas, use to work hard for a few yrs hoping to get a chance to open a shop on portobello rd (see for instance punky fish which i don t like for design etc but is a perfect example).

Now often in my short lunch break i talk to them as few yrs ago. Before they were telling me about their hopes to get this shop or the other shop and make a step forward in business but also in life; now they tell me (at the best) they are applying to work at the till of some well known supermarket chain or they dream to get a job as security person on some mobile phone company shop..

I remember the rd as it was 5 to 7 yrs ago and it was an unique place all over the world, attracting visitors, locals and tourists in here. I remember I use to have the hot dog guy phone number as it was taking me ages to walk one single block to get some lunch as the street was crowded and business had people queing all the times.

At present road is empty on any due day...i don t need to call the guy anymore for my hot dog as it takes me 20sec to walk to him now in a road that looks like any airport in any city...from vodafone to starbucks, burgers chains, coffe chains ..you name it..it looks like walking in heathrow airport but....with nearly no people at all

The hot dog man and his son are doing best they can for the son to get a job in tesco or sainsbury in a street and in a world that doesn t pay back if you have ideas but pays back only if you have money and can pay the 150K per year for a 40 sq mt shop in compare to the 30K it was costing 5 yrs ago..

I don t see the choice there anymore.... but still if i had a son i would be happy to listen to his business ideas and support him best I can rather than having a son that sadly hopes to get into some chain supermarket as....it is the only choice...

The choice we have is now as for instance in portobello rd once a supermarket decided to pay 100k per year on a 30 sq meter (that use to cost 20K 5 yrs ago) there is not way back. rightly so all the commercial landlords now expect that rent and chains keeps coming in, in a road that was the centre of europe over the week ends and now is sad and empty..

As you can imagine I don t care much about portobello rd but i care my son will have a choice in life...

Nothing personal against Mrs Sweaty Betty in person...a part from the very ugly name..:))

malumbu Wrote:

> As a nation we talk about supporting the small

> shops and the high street. But we don't. We are

> all hypocrites

"We" don't?

I think you should speak for yourself!