Parking Charges at Lidl Peckham

Pugwash

Just received a parking charge note for ?90 for 'overstay' parking at Lidl in Peckham.

According to the photo - I entered the car park at 13.52 and departed at 15.46. having overstayed by 23 minutes. Maximum stay being 1 hour 30 minutes.

I also thought it was a maximum of 2 hours stay - but cannot say that I always look at the notices so I am at fault there. However the time it tales to get through the checkout at Lidl's with a trolley full of stuff, surely it should be 2 hours. Given how quickly items are scanned through the till I put every thing back into the trolley and then pack them in bags when I reach the car.

On really busy days you can spend 10 minutes or more looking for a parking space.

I received two of these, both for similar excess parking.

I wrote a strongly worded letter stating that I had actually been in Lidl doing a large shop and that I could prove it.

I also wrote lidl, which in all fairness was a waste of a letter.

About a week later, I got a letter confirming they had cancelled the charges.

> According to previous threads these aren't legal fines and can

> be ignored. Does anyone know the current situation?

The Supreme Court rejected a crowd-funded test appeal in November 2015, holding that there was a contract and that the ?85 penalty charge stipulated within it as a means of protecting the company's legitimate interest was not "extravagant, exorbitant or unconscionable". http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3303189/Parking-ticket-disappointment-UK-motorists-Supreme-Court-rejects-chip-shop-owner-s-85-appeal.html https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.html

Yes, 2 hours does seem a long time. I think I spent about 25 minutes last time on a large shop, and that included apologising because I dropped and broke a bottle. (The staff were unfazed by this.) And I had time to get to the library and back well within time.

I was shopping for an event and went round the shop twice, waiting for cashier, putting items in trolley as I pack into bags in car, I have a disability and walk with a stick slowly to return trolley and back to car at furthest end of car park, joined another load of cars trying to get out.

Usually takes about an hour when am with hubby as he can pack in store and lift heavy bags.

I paid ?45 (discounted rate)

• 6 years later...

Hello - I have just unearthed a parking fine when I ran over the allowed 1 and a half hours at the Lidl car park back in July.  Does anyone have any recent experience of this?  I have heard it said that these can be ignored but is that the case now?  I am new to this... I usually cycle! I wasn't shopping in Lidl unfortunately...otherwise I'd consider taking it up with Lidl.  Any recent experience would be welcomed. Thanks in advance. 

You will have to pay up I'm afraid.

I ran foul of the Old Kent Road one when doing a particularly large shop but was able to provide receipts to the charging company from Lidl and they waived it.

I fear if you haven't been using Lidl you will struggle to find any mitigating circumstances.

1 hour ago, peckhambog said:

You will have to pay up I'm afraid.

I ran foul of the Old Kent Road one when doing a particularly large shop but was able to provide receipts to the charging company from Lidl and they waived it.

I fear if you haven't been using Lidl you will struggle to find any mitigating circumstances.

Yes I expect you are right! Thank you for your response.