We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.hensonsecurity.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
messageSummer holiday playschemes or activities for older children/tweens?
Posted by redjam 19 May, 2016 11:24

The annual summer childcare crisis is looming larger than usual this year. My kids are veterans of the various playschemes around East Dulwich - Nimble Arts, Gumboots, Artastic - but my oldest daughter is 11 now and seems a bit old for some of them. I was wondering whether anyone could point me in the direction of summer activities or courses for slightly older children? I'm hoping I can find something that my (soon-to-be) 9-year-old can also go to at the same time, but I realise that might not be possible.

I know there's a sports camp at Jags but my daughters aren't keen on wall-to-wall sports. They are more into drama, music, arts and crafts, cooking, coding, creative writing - that kind of thing. Ideally I'd like to find something that offers a mix of sporty activities and more creative/arty stuff.

Any ideas? I need to be able to get on with my freelance work on at least a part-time basis over the summer and don't want the kids vegetating on screens while I do so!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2016:05:19:12:01:49 by redjam.

messageRe: Summer holiday playschemes or activities for older children/tweens?
Posted by slh2009 19 May, 2016 23:16

Supercamps at St Dunstans go up to 14 with different activities... Currently have 15% off summer holiday bookings

Posted by redjam 20 May, 2016 09:44

Oh, this looks great, slh2009, thank you! Have you had any personal experience with this camp? Is there a good mix of ages?

Posted by Saffron 20 May, 2016 11:55

I've just booked my 6 yo at St Dunstans for the May half-term camp.

More stuff here: [www.familiesonline.co.uk]

Posted by Saffron 20 May, 2016 12:06

Not local, but it might also be worth looking at what Imperial College has on offer. I think they have all-day science camps starting in August.

My daughter did the Christmas camp last December. It's not cheap, but it was totally amazing. It was well worth the money and the experience, even if you only do it as a one-off.

Imperial is actually pretty easy to get to on public transport. Camps and classes for children are booked through Richer Education. I found their staff to be lovely. [www.richereducation.co.uk]

Posted by redjam 20 May, 2016 12:35

Saffron, thank you so much - that link is really useful. Lots of great ideas. And thanks for reminding me about that science camp - also sounds great. Starting to feel a bit less panicked about the summer now!

Posted by Saffron 20 May, 2016 15:54

No worries, I had the same panic earlier this morning!

I hope St Ds is fun. I've no personal experience with them, but it looks nice and is reasonably priced. And (more?) importantly, the hours are good. I had to pass on several interesting camps that were only doing half days, which is no good for us, or were a little bit more than I can afford atm.

Air Craft Circus youth camps look like fun but are more expensive. I might look into this in the future though, because Air Craft seem like great group. My daughter adored their interactive activities at a festival last year. The staff were so deeply engaged and supportive of every child. [aircraftcircus.com]

If anyone knows of a good summer session for dance/drama/singing, I'd love to hear more. So far all the theatre and music workshops I've seen didn't really fit the bill for us because they were too short. xx

Posted by slh2009 20 May, 2016 18:45

No but have booked my 5 yr old for a couple of days in half term!

Posted by Dog-Kennel-Hill A.P 23 May, 2016 00:12

We are running both a half term play scheme & a summer one at Dog kennel hill adventure playground:

£25 per day
Arts & crafts...tie dye...clay etc
Cooking
Music
Drama
Free play
I.T access
T-shirt design

www.dkhap.org.uk

please email dkhap@btconnect.com for more info and a registration form. Thanks so much

Kate x

Posted by sanity girl 23 May, 2016 16:01

My two (9 and 5) spent two days at the DKHAP playscheme over the Easter holidays and they absolutely loved it. They can't wait to go again next week. I warmly recommend it.

Posted by redjam 24 May, 2016 10:07

Thanks for the info about the DKHAP playscheme - but what is the upper age limit for it? I had got the impression it was mainly for younger kids.

Posted by k-lovell 30 May, 2016 19:44

Check out The Acting Network West End www.theactingnetwork.com/west-end-workshops.html

Half day or Full Day workshops for 8-16year olds!

Posted by maryhenley 31 May, 2016 17:46

I've just picked my two children up from DKHAP. They had a brilliant day, even with the awful rain all this morning. It was a wide age range. I could see a lot of year 5/6/7 age children as well as younger ones.

Posted by sanity girl 01 June, 2016 11:04

Yes my kids were there yesterday and are back again today. They just adore it there. There are some older children - my daughter made friends with an 11 year old boy and there are teenagers who help out.

maryhenley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've just picked my two children up from DKHAP.
> They had a brilliant day, even with the awful rain
> all this morning. It was a wide age range. I
> could see a lot of year 5/6/7 age children as well
> as younger ones.

Posted by redjam 01 June, 2016 13:19

Thanks so much for all these replies. I will definitely be booking some days at the DKHAP scheme and have already booked a week at the Supercamps place mentioned above. I've also found a drama course at the link Saffron posted above that sounded great. Thanks EDF!

Posted by apple&pears 06 June, 2016 22:55

Posted by Dog-Kennel-Hill A.P 29 June, 2016 22:01

Thank you for all the lovely recommendations for our playscheme. We, the staff team always have such a good time so its great to know the kids do too!

We have a fun packed summer programme & cant wait for the holidays now. x

messageRe: Summer holiday playschemes or activities for older children/tweens?attachment
Posted by kidsclub1 03 July, 2016 19:18

Dear Sanity girl,
I am running a summer holiday club, please have a look at our attached flyer and website or you are welcome to contact me for more information.
Suzie Dulwich Village Kids Club Manager

Attachments: image.jpeg (283.4KB)  
Posted by redjam 13 August, 2016 21:05

Three weeks into the summer holidays and my kids are already veterans of three different holiday drop=offs with another one to go next week! Just wanted to particularly mention Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground summer scheme, which is great - really reasonable cost and run by lovely friendly staff. We are so lucky to have this on our doorstep and we will definitely use it again. Nimble Arts is also always brilliant (more for my younger daughter now as my older one has very sadly outgrown it) and we also tried Supercamps for the first time at St Dunstans, which I'd recommend for more sporty organised games etc.

Next week Freedom Academy Film School! (My poor overscheduled children - they are having some relaxing time after all this, honest...)

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

Posted by Dog-Kennel-Hill A.P 13 August, 2016 23:07

Thank you so much for the recommendation redeem.

Me & my team were talking about all the lovely children we have met so far. We are having soon much fun-were just glad the kids are too lol x

Posted by WildLondon 14 August, 2016 10:55

At the Centre for Wildlife Gardening (28 Marsden Road, SE15 4EE) we are running activities on Saturday afternoons for 7 - 12 yr-olds. 1.30pm - 4.30pm. We are running the activities as family sessions so I'm afraid it won't help with childcare but if you are looking for some extra activities as a family hopefully it might help. It is free and you are free to drop in without booking.

Sylvia Myers, London Wildlife Trust

Posted by LV0210 14 August, 2016 22:37

Hi Sylvia,

Do you run any sessions on a Sunday morning or afternoon? I would be interested in outdoor/nature sessions for under 5's.

Thanks.

Posted by CupyPupy June 18, 07:50AM

I think that this is not a problem. Now we have a lot of possibilities to keep our kids busy the whole day. I'm not speaking about giving phones and leave them to watch cartoons, of course not. You can find on the internet different pedagogical activities that will develop your kids. My mom is working in a kindergarten and sometimes I'm searching on the internet some new activities to do with kids. I found a 1st grade worksheets. There are different activities that will develop attention and critical thinking. Just try it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 20, 03:55pm by CupyPupy.

messageRe: Summer holiday playschemes or activities for older children/tweens?attachment
Posted by ICIANCHI June 26, 10:19AM

Hi all!

I saw aircraft was mentioned earlier and wanted to make sure you'd heard of Flying Fantastic! They have a space based in Peckham so a walkable distance from Dulwich. They are running week long Aerial circus summer camps for kids.
Very active and creative space but there's no experience required.

www.ffyc.co.uk

Issy

Attachments: SE22 Ad.jpg (35KB)  

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum