East Dulwich should twin with...

Mark

"Town twinning is a concept whereby towns or cities in geographically and politically distinct areas are paired with the goal of fostering human contact and cultural links." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_twinning

A current list of UK towns/cities with their twins: http://www.twinning.org.uk/uk_twinnings.htm

So just out of curiosity, where in the world do you think would be a good place to twin with East Dulwich?

That's an excellent idea!

We could twin with.. er... Peckham!

More seriously... they'd need to have similar urban issues / residents / interests etc. I guess?

How about an arty suburb of Montpelier or Toulouse in France?

A suburb of Barcelona in Spain?

The Dashanzi suburb of Beijing in China?

Stanley in Hong Kong?

I remember an estate agent once mooting ED as 'the Crouch End of the south'.

I immediately thought 'bad transport links, expensive houses and Bugaboos everywhere' - though I'm not sure if this is what he had in mind.

Yes, Brooklyn is quite apt: across the river, tree-lined streets, open spaces, a few hills, period architecture with terraced houses, grubby/run-down but interesting corners, the odd estate/project mixed in, and a smattering of 'useless' boutiques in one or two trendy streets (though the so-called useless boutiques can yield a bit of good stuff, in both places, so I'm all in favour).

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What I actually found when I first came here was

> somewhere that immediately brought Eccleshall Rd

> area of Sheffield to mind. This is a GOOD think

> IMO btw so I propose that

Hee Hee.. Now that brings back a few memories. (I used to live just off the Hunter's Bar roundabout). I can see what you mean!

Not like you mockney to use such derogatory languague - I bought a very nice casserole in one of those shops - and it's going to survive longer than me by the feel of it (but I know what you're getting at)

Bob - I've bumped into a few Sheffield bods in my time here. I spent many a happy evening in the Porter Cottage and went to the Lescar for some pool. On a recent visit I noticed the Lescar had the exact same red signage as the Plough has going on.. now Lescar is no Top 10 pub but it's miles better than the Plough

Sean and *Bob* - me too!

How about Mitte in Berlin. Actually, Forest Hill is twinned with Charlottenberg in Berlin, coincidentally v near to where my bro lives. He got a bit sniffy 'bout that though and claims that Charlottenberg is much more central than FH. But if we're going for culture and social types then it's not far off I'd say.

Polly D Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sean and *Bob* - me too!

>

> How about Mitte in Berlin. Actually, Forest Hill

> is twinned with Charlottenberg in Berlin,

> coincidentally v near to where my bro lives. He

> got a bit sniffy 'bout that though and claims that

> Charlottenberg is much more central than FH. But

> if we're going for culture and social types then

> it's not far off I'd say.

Mitte's more like Clerkenwell or Shoreditch. Berlin is great though.