Forum Sponsors

Pippa's Guardians
xxxx
www.lilasjewels.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Attn councillors: Has Southwark council cut litter pickers?
Posted by Nigello 29 November, 2018 16:15

I wss referring to the litter looking aged which suggests that it had been hidden by leaves or not picked up for a long time.

Posted by Monkey 29 November, 2018 17:24

Ok get it. I agree itís bad. And having lived there for 10 years this never used to be the case. Itís not the school children. Itís literally a couple of households being stupid.

Posted by wonderwoman 29 November, 2018 19:29

There are obvious consequences of the reduction of cleaning for one the increase of vermin and foxes in the area. On another thread there have been reported links to cat killings in the area. One poor young cat died of his injuries recently I was told which was really sad to hear. Foxes are becoming more brave and fearless of humans, especially with their growing numbers and young to feed.

Posted by Penguin68 29 November, 2018 23:26

On another thread there have been reported links to cat killings in the area.

I think the 'link' was to secondary predation on cats already killed or severely injured following (car) accidents. There has been no suggestion that foxes are primary predators of cats (kittens, possibly). The reason why we have urban foxes is that there is ample food for them, without them needing to attack large domestic animals such as cats or dogs. Injured cats (not involved in car accidents) are more likely to have been injured by other cats or by large dogs.

Posted by spark67 30 November, 2018 07:10

Last week there was a guy with a leaf blower clearing our road, only thing was he was just blowing it into everyones front gardens, I just watched amazed as I was coming down our path and as he was going a long swaying his blower and as he got passed ours he blew a massive pile onto my pat ... it just made me laugh at the cheek of it (though I had to sweep it up later) 😂

Posted by Monkey January 03, 01:37PM

Dunstans Road is an absolute disgrace today. A walk down the road this morning showed a front garden full of rubbish from a bin bag left out for the foxes to open, two sofas and a matress left out, a coat rack, shelves, a suitcase and lots of cardboard, all from different households. Are people not aware of the Veolia waste management centre?

Posted by Sue January 03, 06:43PM

Monkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dunstans Road is an absolute disgrace today. A
> walk down the road this morning showed a front
> garden full of rubbish from a bin bag left out for
> the foxes to open, two sofas and a matress left
> out, a coat rack, shelves, a suitcase and lots of
> cardboard, all from different households. Are
> people not aware of the Veolia waste management
> centre?

Not everybody has cars.

Somebody on this forum posted some time ago asking if anybody was going to the waste management centre, and subsequently posted again, and to the best of my knowledge has had no response.

The council now charge for the collection of bulk waste, don't they?

I'm not defending dumping stuff, but if someone has no car and no spare money, what are they supposed to do?

And aren't Veolia supposed to collect cardboard with the blue bin recycling?

Posted by Monkey January 03, 07:09PM

A lot of my neighbours have cars and money! And if you have money to buy all that stuff that comes in big cardboard boxes, you should have money to pay for bulk disposal. Or you could keep it in your house and get it out on the day the bin men come. When thereís a will, thereís a way.

Posted by Nigello January 03, 07:25PM

Maybe neighbours could offer to let those with lots of cardboard to use their blue bins? I offer to my neighbours and they sometimes use it, if there is room. I agree that Dunstans Road looks messy because of the lack of space (soemetimes) in front yards/gardens for bins so any extra refuse would make it look worse.

Posted by Monkey January 03, 08:02PM

Honestly, I walked down the road this morning and it made me angry. Dunstans Riad is in a real state.

We have one blue bin for two households so thereís no room in mine, unfortunately. The solution is really for people to learn to manage their waste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 03, 09:01pm by Monkey.

Posted by alex_b January 04, 09:27AM

Nigello Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe neighbours could offer to let those with
> lots of cardboard to use their blue bins? I offer
> to my neighbours and they sometimes use it, if
> there is room. I agree that Dunstans Road looks
> messy because of the lack of space (soemetimes) in
> front yards/gardens for bins so any extra refuse
> would make it look worse.

I always collapse big boxes and put them neatly by our blue bin and theyíre always collected. Itís they polystyrene thatís a real pain as it completely fills the green bin and isnít collected if itís bagged separately.

Posted by Monkey January 04, 09:51AM

1 or 2 boxes ok, but not 10 casually left on the pavement. And not with added polystyrene which gets everywhere, I ageee, and not with a suitcase added on for good measure.

Posted by tomskip January 04, 01:49PM

I agree Monkey. The amount of rubbish and fly tipping really gets me down.

Posted by Blah Blah January 04, 06:46PM

Sadly the council are under financial pressure and some difficult decisions have to be made. Adult social care or subsidising bulk waste collection is one of them. As far as I know, the fee is £16 to have the council remove bulk rubbish. There are higher fees and requirements for commercial waste, which is why fly tipping is perhaps on the rise. It's not an easy one to fix.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum