Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.inshutters.co.uk

https://sjbsashwindows.co.uk/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14
messageRe: Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge?
Posted by Rockets May 11, 03:51PM

Bottom line is if you are lucky enough to have a garden or a car then this council sees you as a taxable revenue centre....challenge them on it and they remind you it goes to good causes for those less fortunate than you....I think we are supposed to just grin and bear it....roll on the next local council elections....

Posted by TheArtfulDogger May 11, 04:58PM

Don't worry Rockets, they now also will tax the air we breath to pay for their cleaner health streets

God help anyone who has wind 🤔

Posted by christgill May 11, 09:26PM

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Put your food waste in the freezer when the bag is
> full and then transfer it to the brown food caddy
> the night before or in the morning. Itís stops the
> smells and wonít attract foxes etc.

I just love that this is a (presumably) sensible suggestion for dealing with the problem of waste disposal in a 21st century London borough...

Posted by singalto May 11, 10:29PM

If we canít put food waste in the big brown bins, are they going to send ANOTHER lorry to collect it separately? The local councillors are keeping a low profile on this matter!

Posted by Penguin68 May 12, 03:45PM

If we canít put food waste in the big brown bins, are they going to send ANOTHER lorry to collect it separately?

The binmen on Veolia lorries believe that they will be collecting both types of waste together (as they do now) - without any separation. They may be wrong, of course. However, if you don't have a licenced large brown garden bin but instead use the paper sacks, these will be collected (on demand!) by different lorries (same type as arrangement as for bulky items, I assume).

And of course I suppose there could be separate collecting lorries for garden and for kitchen waste, despite what the Veolia people on the ground believe. All running on diesel. So, and if so, great call, Southwark - and I really believe your maunderings about healthier streets. Not.

Posted by seenbeen May 14, 12:22PM

singalto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If we canít put food waste in the big brown bins,
> are they going to send ANOTHER lorry to collect it
> separately? The local councillors are keeping a
> low profile on this matter!
Yes I was wondering that. The collections for the garden waste brown bin and the food waste bin are BOTH going to be weekly according to their little booklet that came a couple of days ago. If they put it all in the same lorry......

Posted by Asset May 14, 08:04PM

The idea that if you have a garden you have plenty of money is flawed. Plenty of council properties have gardens (not that being a council tenant precludes you from having plenty of money)and I'm sure many elderly residents that may own their properties with gardens live on a small pension. So that argument doesn't really wash.
Anyway as someone pointed out earlier, in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge amount of money for a useful service.
I'm going to see how I get on using my compost bins (like I did before the garden collection service was introduced) for a while and if I decide I need the collections will sign up later on, maybe asking neighbours if they want to share.

Posted by IlonaM May 15, 07:08AM

Still waiting for my booklet.

Has anyone at the Horniman end of Underhill received one yet??

Posted by turtle May 15, 07:26AM

When are the charges starting, haven't received a letter from the council. Wouldn't have known anything about it but for reading on here!

Posted by singalto May 15, 07:58AM

You have to sign up by June 1st. www.southwark.gov.uk/gardenwaste. If you donít want a big brown bin but do want the bigger food caddy go to www.southwark.gov.uk/foodwaste.

Posted by nxjen May 15, 08:54AM

You can sign up for the subscription at any time during the year before the end of March but if you donít have a subscription your garden waste wonít be collected from the beginning of June.

Posted by bobbsy May 15, 09:16AM

I've received one letter saying things will change, circa a month or two ago, but nothing about signing up etc? How are you meant to know?

Posted by TE44 May 15, 10:15AM

Does anyone know how to pay with cash. I know someone asked before but phone is playing up, thanks.

Posted by turtle May 15, 04:50PM

Thanks, be nice if they had the decency to inform us by post!

Posted by snoopy17 May 15, 10:11PM

I emailed Southwark about paying by cash as I have no debit/credit card. I got a unhelpful response simply saying online payment only, we are going papeeless.

So I wont be able to pay to use a service I want.

Posted by Rockets May 16, 09:17AM

I don't know if anyone else had the "Your Services are Changing" leaflet that dropped through the door this morning detailing the new collection process but it is telling that on the opening page as part of the Why Is it Changing section is opens with....

"Most people in the borough do not have gardens...By asking for a small contribution from those who want to continue having their garden waste collected we can protect the essential services we deliver across the borough....."

It is so obviously a tax on those the council think can afford it but more worryingly this sets a very dangerous precedent as one wonders whether it then allows people who don't use those all of the essential services to claim they shouldn't be paying for them.

messageRe: Brown bin collection - Council starting to charge?attachment
Posted by RichH May 16, 12:34PM

Here's a scan (3 separate images attached) of the leaflet for anyone who hasn't received it yet. Got mine this morning.

Attachments: 1.JPG (177KB)   2.JPG (176.5KB)   3.JPG (164.6KB)  
Posted by turtle May 16, 12:50PM

Just got mine, trying to sign up is a joke!!!!!!

Posted by snoopy17 May 16, 08:30PM

The sticker looks like it has your name and address on it. I don't like the idea of that not when we have people searching in bins.

Posted by mancity68 May 16, 09:49PM

Me neither. It's hard to tell from the image though. Does anyone know if it's name as well as address or just address?

Posted by snoopy17 May 17, 07:31AM

Nice to know the bin men are deliberately not emptying my bin, just seen the bin man put all the steets bin in position to be emptied, seem to have a problem with me personally, but has no problem emptying my neighbours brown bin which was full of BLACK PLASTIC BAGS. So why the hell would I waste my time paying for a service when they pick and choose when they empty my bin.
I'm fuming about this
So you can now put household rubbish in black bags in the brown bin, or is it my wonderful neighbour of the year can do what it likes and everyone bows down to it cause it's no good scum with no morals. But if I put any old rubbish in the brown bin bin men would leave it full up just like they do when I have the correct rubbish in the brown bin. I had FOOD waste in brown bin, bin man looks in bin and refuses to empty it. Bin man sees neighbours bin with overflowing household rubbish, and he doesn't bat an eyelid and emptys it.

This seems personal to me and I'm sick of if

Posted by mancity68 May 17, 07:15PM

Had missed this report. Can't see how the new arrangements are going to help reduce the problem bearing in mind this was going on whilst most properties had garden waste disposal included in their council tax! [www.standard.co.uk]

Posted by brewski May 17, 10:43PM

I have no problem with them charging, the fee is very small. But what is nuts is that they will provide a 4th bin that can be knocked over by foxes and have to make another collection when it all gets composted in the same place anyway. To register for the service you have to order another garden bin when we already have one. All these extra costs go way beyond the £25 they are charging. Itís nuts. Has anyone made sense of this?

Posted by trinidad May 17, 11:52PM

Has anyone actually made a payment regarding this scheme?

Also, if i pay say in december, do i still get charge £25.00, or a sliding scale cheaper? Lastly, what happons if you share a bin with a neighbour?

--------------------
The hottest place in the world

Posted by goldilocks May 17, 11:55PM

I suspect the charge is likely to be a flat fee at any point in the year. Administratively anything else would be difficult. They are clear there are no refunds so see it as a pure payment deposit rather than a per month scheme.

Payments are now live online and can be made. I paid mine today.

Posted by RichH May 18, 07:39AM

I've made my payment too.

The web site is badly worded. It initially suggests that your £25 includes delivery of another brown bin but, later on, there are check boxes for both the large bin and the smaller food waste bin which you can tick to say you don't want these if you already have them. Mine were set to "No" by default.

Now I'm just waiting for the stickers to arrive in the post.

Posted by snoopy17 May 19, 12:17PM

Does anyone know if you can pay for this service in cash in Peckham library? I haven't got the internet which means I never use my debit card online.

Posted by intexasatthe moment May 19, 06:37PM

"To register for the service you have to order another garden bin when we already have one."

I thought you kept the existing large brown bin and applied a sticker to it .Why would you need a new one ?

Fed up about having to have a new bin for food .

Posted by Gingergossip May 20, 04:37PM

taxation on cultivation, shameful.
Our gardens are an eccologial haven for wild life and a sponge for rainwater that would otherwise be filling the drains to bursting point. Gardens are also great at scrubbing co2 from the atmosphere.

Southwark should be paying us for creating green space.

Yes your sevcies are changing from a bit crap to utter crap.

Posted by Rosetta May 20, 07:18PM

How does this stop all and sundry from using your own brown stickered bin?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum